Jaguar XF 2.2 auto diesel

bullet1747

My dad had one from new for 3 years

His viewpoint on it : brilliant to drive, really comfortable to be in (and I drove it a few times, and would certainly agree with him), but he wouldn't want to own one without a VERY good warranty in place. He had Jaguar Assist out to it 5 times in the 3 years, and it was in the workshop an another 5 or 6 occasions for faults.

I only drive new Jags (rental cars- we have quite a few at present) and we are doing a lot of courtesy car stuff for cars with quite serious warranty faults. One of our XF's has had a new engine fitted. Love driving them but if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd go for a Merc followed by Audi and then BMW.

Done that , merc was a Friday made one , Audi ok , BMW loved it

Two people at the wifes work had them with no end of trouble. One day she pulled into the car park to find one of the cars with all its windows down in torrential rain. It had started raining and the car decided to drop all windows without the owners knowledge!

The other had many issues with the turbos, limp mode was a common theme when it overboosted .

Every one I know (including a few relatives with Jags) who drives a modern Jag has had problems within the first 3 years of ownership with one having a gearbox failure (something to do with engine oil being dumped into the auto box somehow?). We've owned mercs which haven't faired much better, and whilst the jury is out on newer models, there's no end of nightmare stories about ones made over the past 10 years with the exception of the 220 diesel (CDi220) which seems to be pretty bomb proof and good to drive (we had one of the Aventgard Sport versions which was excellent). However, whilst looking for a replacement for the Merc, we considered a Jag until we did out homework. We were after a used XF but were put off by the number of warranty claims against them and finally plumped for Lexus GS300 instead. So glad we did. It is a luxurious as any Bently inside, has all the toys you can think of and more besiodes, goes like stink, is quiet, comfortable and economical for a large petrol (35mpg possible). Avoid Lexus 2.2 diesels though.....**** by all accounts!

Although I love (new) Mercs I realise there have been issues with some - think it was Sth African-made C class models so either stump up for E class or do some homework. the Sth African problem is affecting new VW Golfs I'm told. This is the standard models and doesn't affect TDI's or GTI's which, like E Class Mercs are made in Germany.

Having strayed off topic somewhat I would love to own either an XF or a R/Rover but, as others have said, only with a good warranty. There is something rather special when you drive one.

I've been driving a few XE's - 2.2's and whilst there is something rather special about Jags this engine with the 8(?) speed auto box is rather odd. Gear changes, especially when in cruise mode, are rather too frequent and noticeable. Front spoiler vv low - no good on our lanes - one was damaged by the delivery driver unloading car. Again if I win the lottery I might have one or an 'F' type - the 5ltr V8.