Cotswold Food & Drink Event, May 2016, places available

Thunderbird

The Cotswolds annual 'foodie' event was started in 2011 by a talented chef on the PW forum asking a simple question about people's opinions of free bread in restaurants. Since then it has developed and migrated to a two-day food and drink extravaganza, which usually takes place on the second weekend of May.

Our current base is a woodland charity youth centre near Fairford in Gloucestershire, which we take over from noon on the Saturday until the Monday morning.
We all pay a modest donation for use of the indoor and outdoor facilities, and the fact that we stay there for two nights. Some members volunteer their time and labour to the facility (in fact I believe some are there this weekend clearing some land).
We have many regular visitors and most years have been fully subscribed. This year however, due to a mixture of house moves and holiday clashes, a few of our regulars cannot make it therefore a few places have come up. The date is noon Sat 14th till the morning of Monday 16th May.
I can't list the dishes we've enjoyed over the years because there are too many to remember, and this event has become a firm favourite in the calendar for our regulars. Members come from many different walks of life and our diversity is one of our strengths.
Much food is eaten; much beer/wine/spirits/home made booze is drunk.
We have a butcher, a baker (no candle-stick maker yet), some truly amazing cooks, and people always bring a generous amount of their own speciality food to share, everything from whole deer, sucking pig, oriental dishes, burgers and sausages, seafood, pies and pasties, foie gras, home made soups, cured meats from their own pig (which they keep in Italy), artisan breads and cheeses, more home-produced booze than you can wave a stick at..well, the list as I say is too long to complete here.
If you are interested in coming this year PM me in the first instance. Ideally you'll be able to take the Monday off work because the Sunday night is usually as big (if not bigger) a night than the Saturday.
Rooms are usually shared twins, basic but perfectly acceptable. Think youth-hostel type. We have a big campfire outside and you can bring air rifles (no FAC or Shotguns) for the traditional air rifle shooting competition on the Sunday, which someone else can win this year, as sadly I'm one of the ones who can't make it due to a holiday clash.
It's pointless coming unless you're well into your food, drink, and decidedly un-PC banter. It's a great chance to meet a few PW regulars, many of whom don't post quite so much here any more, but still lurk in the shadows.
For the avoidance of doubt it's not an opportunity to gain shooting permission.
Edited by Thunderbird

I am another who cannot make it. I thought I was being clever and booked a holiday immediately after the event only to discover I had the wrong date. To say I am gutted is an understatement.

This is a fantastic couple of days, rumour has it that this year you may see some vegetables, but I do believe that to be a malicious rumour to put people off.

A great week end that really should not be missed.

• 1 month later...

I fall into Thunderbird's don't post much but still lurk category, but this thread has drawn me out of cover. I was fortunate to have attended the inaugural meet and several since. Some of the best food I have ever eaten has been on these weekends. I've also got slowly sozzled next to a campfire whilst shooting the **** with some of funniest, most genuine and generous people it has been my pleasure to meet.

I am gutted that I can't make it this year as I am committed to a cycle event which clashes. If anyone is uming and ahing about whether to go, just do it. You won't regret it.

Edited by Blunderbuss

This is an event not to be missed, and like Blunderbuss, I am also gutted to be missing this event, I marked the wrong date in the diary we even moved a holiday to ensure I would be there, but it wasn't to be My fault entirely.

This is a weekend of great food and real fun with a little bit of drink along the way.

The company is good and I have made friends for life because this event.

The cost is unbelievably cheap, try it once you will not want to miss another.

Cheers

Terry :unhappy:

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Confirmed; next year's dates are as stated above, May 13th-14th 2017. There might be one or two extra places, but I'm not 100% sure yet as I think four people who didn't go this year are all returning next.

NB, it's a Saturday and Sunday night, so you need Monday off.

First step PM me if interested and read the top post above beforehand.

• 5 weeks later...