Post Hodnet Perspective

For those who shoot all over the country, is there any down south that is similar too Hodnet in terms of type of clays presented?

If you are talking in terms of quality, Westfield, Westonwood, Southdown, Barrow Heath all spring to mind - a lot to keep you on your toes. Hodnet is blessed with the most beautiful setting of course and not all grounds have that but there are lots who have great targets.

Thanks Sian.

I only went to Westonwood once and it seemed the whole of the UK had the same idea, the queuing was absolutely ridiculous.

But I will go back and just hope it was an unfortunate one off.

It can get very busy as it is very popular but if you time it right then you can avoid very long queues. It does depend also whats on the same weekend as to how many you get. Did you go the same day as the EJC premier league shoot for example? I go regularly as either my first shoot of the day or my last depending on the other one's whereabouts. Its not too often that it is so crowded at stands to make a nuisance. Its a well run, hardly ever any breakdowns or no birds, excellent targets that on the very few occasions it may take time I don't mind.

As a local lad to Hodnet I was quite disappointed with my score, 66/100.

I normally average 70-75 on the Tuesday evening 50 bird set-up they put on which I attend almost religiously.

I made a few silly mistakes through complacency but was truly lost on the top of the back with the two from right to left and would love to try it again and have someone put me right on where I am missing them as it would be great to be able to connect with them, the two driven also would be good.

Its easy to fall into the trap of only ever shooting one venue, variety as they say is the spice of life and I do think it serves well to get out and about.

I was using 3/8 & 3/8 chokes and found that plenty, while I havent used 21gram cartridges there I have reason to believe you would be under gunned with a low load such as 21gram or the smaller calibre 20g all are absolutely sufficient and capable. On the last two Tuesday nights I have seen both a .410 and 28g being used to good effect.

ATB

Matt

I shot the English open at Hodnet with Skeet and Qaurter chokes and hit all the different clays well, none of them were iffy breaks but we'll hit. It's how a course should be, bit of face or belly showing and a good range of targets. Nothing worse than looking at a edge on sixty seventy yard screamer thinking ohh no best get full choke in to stand a chance of breaking it.

Regarding chokes, I stick to Mr Solomons advice of "Half and Half and weld them in". I dare say there may be the odd target made more difficult by not changing chokes, but at my level it's far more likely to be a lack of talent causing me to miss. I use Gamebore Black Gold 8's for virtually everything and I can't see there being much difference with using heavier shot on any of the targets we were presented with (Just my opinion).

I've not shot much at all in the last couple of years but I'm just starting to find some timing and focus again. Really enjoyed the Hodnet shoot but to be fair, if you don't enjoy shooting at Hodnet then you need to find another hobby. The driven green clay in the quarry is the only time I've ever shot down onto a straight driven target. Not sure of many places you can get a clay like that.

Roll on the next one :good:

Some great targets - regretably I read some wrong :( Walking down to the last stand with Teal we were discussing how we had shot - I said if I cleared it I would be happy with 50% I have Rhino chokes 1/4 & 1/2 which equates to 1/2 & 3/4 on guage & shooting 12g 21 gram loads. Very happy to dust 5/8 on high driven

The Good Lady and I shot at a couple of local grounds over the bank holiday weekend.

On the sunday I shot a 64 on a registered competition layout at fauxdegla shooting the little 20b with 24g cartridges.

On the Monday I then shot my personal best of 68 at Catton Hall again with the 20b and 24g cartridges.

I am happy with my 57 at the PW Charity Shoot and still have room to improve before the competitive side spoils the enjoyment of the sport for me.

Keep enjoying breaking a few and laugh at the ones you miss, a bit like shooting pheasants from a peg, you cant hit them all :good: