Gsp pup

Mice!

Hi everyone I have finally registered instead of just reading and enjoying,

I have a couple(for now) of questions regarding my pup, 9 month gsp dog named Jet, two things he does when on the lead I want to know if I should be somehow be using them to my advantage or nipping them in the bud.

The first is walking with his head between my legs will just do this sometimes when he is meant to be by my side, will happily walk along like this until I step off him?

The second is playing with the lead, he tends to do this when excited or when we come off the grass back onto the path and he knows we are heading home, he prances by my side and I only stop him if he starts pulling too much on the lead.

My old dog is 14 now so the difference between him plodding along and Jet whizzing by is quite a shock that's for sure.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions

Mice!

Hi Mice!, and welcome!

I'd definitely be dissuading Jet from getting beetween your legs as this could be a problem if he does it when you're out walking with a gun in your hand. Just make it 'difficult' by keeping your knees closer together and occasionally knocking them into him - he'll soon realise that it's not a comfortable place for him to be :lol:

The lead thing is no big deal - my dog does the same at times, and she's 8 now. Just don't let it descend into a tug o' war!

Is Jet your first GSP? If you can get hold of a copy, The Roughshooter's Dog by Michael Brander is an excellent training guide written specifically about GSP's :)

Hi termin8r,

That was what I was thinking he is a sensitive thug so didn't want to be stopping him doing something if I could use it to my advantage.

He is my first Gsp, the old dog is a gwp I worked him for a few years but he was hunting before he was listening all my fault, so hoping to avoid that this time round.

I don't have that book so will take a look for it

Thanks Mice!

GSPs and it seems viszlas have the knack of slipping between your knees. I think it is a .... if I dare use the word ...bonding thing. Your a member of the pack. They have a lot of hound traits in them. Don't let the lead thing get out of hand. Just make it known ..that is enough!! It is a bit late now but you could still try. Single words ...LEAD! means to come to me and have your lead on. I also used the word CAR!! as well, handy when all hell brakes loose with other dogs scrapping. I did it once and my old GSP Mole took off and hit the back window of the Range Rover which I had closed :-) He was an amazing jumper and would clear a five bar gate without touching it.

I honestly do not think you will fully stop the between the legs thing. I never did really stop either my viszlas or Mole doing it. Whilst your standing , not a big problem but as said you don't need it when walking. Just a tap on the nose as he pushes through should do it plus whatever word / sound you use to mean NO!!!

Great dogs. Trust him. His nose is much better than yours :-)

Having read some of the comments on here I ****** my self .sorry but I had to .

Leave the gun a home is the first thing to do,

Next thing ,,being a 9month old pup treat him lightly .lead train him slowly.walk him little and often on the lead ,not to short of lead ,

Get a long training lead ,slowly does it, one and only one thing at a time ,the recall is the most important command of them all,one word , "come",short , sharp ,not like a limp wrist . Take them out every day to keep them happy and fit .

Not doing this then its not worth having one,to having a good trained dog is joy to have not a chore ,best of luck ,

Thats never let me down over the years i've had them .

Hi walker570 and gaffertoo,

Thanks for your comments nice to know other peoples dogs have been doing the same thing, I have noticed that he only tends to do the head between the legs thing if we are going slowly with the old dog or kids when its just me and him doesn't do it often.

Leaving the gun at home isn't a problem I don't have one, unless you count my Rapid 7, planning on applying for my sgc in the new year. Definitely want the well-behaved dog you can be proud of, I'll post a pic of him when I figure out how.

Thanks again

Mice!

post-78784-0-91515900-1479381171_thumb.jpg

First thing to do is get him trained 'on lead' , walking at heal,sit or stand on command also lie down can be useful on long days out.keep training sessions separate from normal walk and play sessions, when training get the dog to keep looking to you for guidance ,

once he is confident 'on lead' start doing sit stays, recalls and if you need him to, retrieves, all off lead,

lots of encouragement, when he gets it right but don't be tempted to 'rant and rave ' if he gets it wrong, just quietly repeat the exercise until he does 'get it'.

I trained ESS's for many years and they all learn at different speeds, and retain different amounts of information, no two are exactly the same.

We used to train the owners before attempting to train the dogs, you would be amazed at the things some people attempt to do with young puppies, just because its a gun dog doesn't mean it will be automatically any good in the field.

One young gun brought his dog to us at 6 months concerned that the dog hid under the car when he fired the shotgun anywhere near it. sadly we were not allowed to slap clients. :lol::lol:

First thing to do is get him trained 'on lead' , walking at heal,sit or stand on command also lie down can be useful on long days out.keep training sessions separate from normal walk and play sessions, when training get the dog to keep looking to you for guidance ,

once he is confident 'on lead' start doing sit stays, recalls and if you need him to, retrieves, all off lead,

lots of encouragement, when he gets it right but don't be tempted to 'rant and rave ' if he gets it wrong, just quietly repeat the exercise until he does 'get it'.

I trained ESS's for many years and they all learn at different speeds, and retain different amounts of information, no two are exactly the same.

We used to train the owners before attempting to train the dogs, you would be amazed at the things some people attempt to do with young puppies, just because its a gun dog doesn't mean it will be automatically any good in the field.

One young gun brought his dog to us at 6 months concerned that the dog hid under the car when he fired the shotgun anywhere near it. sadly we were not allowed to slap clients. :lol::lol:

Every thing what he said and whats more ,bang on there Lakeside but some people need more training than the dog,,,lol

Thanks Danger mouse, he looks the part just need to help him act the part

I could probably do with a slap sometimes lakeside1000 the not loosing it when he doesn't do something is definitely a good shout

Thanks for the comments plenty to work on.

Mice!