I went swimming :(

Wildfowler12

Top tip for you all... DON'T leave your stick on the bank when you're stood on the river edge in what you 'think' is shallow water. I took one step too far tonight and ended up swimming.

I'm laughing about it now, but I can't imagine what might have happened if I'd had my chesties on. I felt 10stone heavier once my thigh waders had filled with water.

I'm slowly thawing out now, NOT an experience I'll forget anytime soon!!

On the plus side, I managed a left+right on the graylags a this morning :good:

Edited by Wildfowler12

You have my sympathies - in my younger days I was the butt of many jokes as I fell into any body of water I went near out fowling. Be it fresh or salty, I actedas a human depth gauge for my friends!

I fell in off walls, boats, gutter edges and even once into a flight pond from a flat grass field. I was so used to arriving back soaked from even the shortest outing I kept plastic fetilizer bags in the car to protect the seats.

I have a blackthorn wading stick now and it goes everywhere with me - even flight ponds!

I will only use thigh boots for the reason you just experienced. My stick goes with me every trip, its like a third leg and a great aid when jumping creeks (even though I still slip into the hidden ones occasionally) Even some of those small splashes can be pretty deep.

Good shooting to get your geese. Well done.

The funny thing was, I waded out to knee height WITH my stick, then threw it back on the bank so I could free up a hand to adjust the decoys. I took one more step forward and sure enough, there was a big drop. I must have been standing on the heighest part because I couldn't find it again once I'd gone under.

Needless the say, the flight ended there and then, the Mrs was with me and insisted that I got back to the cottage ASAP, booo!! Although I've got to give her credit, she's come on 3 of the 4 shoots since we got here (I'm in Scotland at the minute).

Anyway, I'm off to thaw out in the hot tub ;)

'The Mrs was with you' .....you must have one in a million there. I remember taking 'her who had to be obeyed' to the marsh with me. It was compulsary to do Warden Duty at the time and she said she fancied seeing the marsh and what I did. She sat in the van and drank all the tea from both flasks while I checked the members tickets, she alleged she was frozen to the car seat, then nagged enough that I didnt even see the marsh !!!!! :mad: :mad:

Be careful in the hut tub....make sure the Mrs is there to keep an eye on you :yahoo:

'The Mrs was with you' .....you must have one in a million there. I remember taking 'her who had to be obeyed' to the marsh with me. It was compulsary to do Warden Duty at the time and she said she fancied seeing the marsh and what I did. She sat in the van and drank all the tea from both flasks while I checked the members tickets, she alleged she was frozen to the car seat, then nagged enough that I didnt even see the marsh !!!!! :mad: :mad:

Be careful in the hut tub....make sure the Mrs is there to keep an eye on you :yahoo:

I was thinking the same, I dont think wild horses would get my wife out with me on the marsh :no:

You should look after that one mate :good:

Swiming in chesties isnt that bad done it on a few occasions better than thigh boats as air gets trapped inthe waders but gettin back on your feet isnt so easy. Because air is trapped in the legs every time you try to stand up your legs go up with the air, the trick is swim to very shallow water or if your brave is a forward roll as i think scuba divers are trained to do and put your feet down when in the vertical position .i wear waders alot for work as i work on the fen rivers must say thats why most advise a belt to be worn with chesties. glad your ok and no worse the wear.

jules

I was thinking the same, I dont think wild horses would get my wife out with me on the marsh :no:

I cant wait to see Dales reply to this one

Unlucky on the swim pal, but I reckon it prob happened to most of us, don't be afraid of going in with waders, they weight just the same wet as they do dry, neo ones , will even help keep you bouyant. Try it in the summer months you will be able to swim in them no problem.

Bonus on the greys, always great to bag a goose when you've travelled that far :good:

I have swum in chesties many times, often in the dark and mostly in currents. Don't panic when you go in, its easy your legs float all on their own don't struggle to regain you footing till your in the shallows ever period! wear a wading belt tight around your middle . The worst experience I had was actually around oct this season, I went for an unexpected swim with chesties and A BLOOMING GREAT BIG DECOY SACK ON! the sack firmly strapped on tried its best to keep me face down and I had to swim to shore right hand holding the highly boyant sack back to the side left arm as means of propulsion. The dog jumped in after me and swam circles round me not sure if he was trying to help or thought it was funny to see his two leg struggling back to shore in the dark. I now remove the extra sternum straps on the bag or carry on a single shoulder crossing deeper water