life changing op

jack01

hi all, not been on for a while, things have been hectic with jnr. just a little update. as some of you may know jack my son has cerebal palsy, thankfully his case isnt severe and only affects his lower half. he is only 2 1/2 yrs and still cant walk. we are hoping to have him walking with motobility aids by the time he starts primary school. that was until last week when we heard of an operation in america. this operation could change jnrs way of life forever. the operation will help mend the damaged nerves causing the problems that prevent jnrs legs from working properly. the doctor has a 100% success rate, and the difference in the kids from before the op to after it are unbelievable. this operation could mean that jack can walk like every other child his age. we are all very excited. as always there is always a price to be paid. this one comes at £40 000. but if it means my little boy can walk, il do all i can to make it happen. my next big fundraiser is a sportsmans dinner in perth. nearly sold out for it, only 30 seats to sell. if anyone can suggest any good ways of fundraising or contacts for help etc, we would be really grateful for any help we can get. the younger jack is when he gets the op the better

thanks graham

Hi Graham,

My son also has CP, but thank god it is very mild. The worst we can say about it now is that he will never join the army, and i am sure his mother is quite happy about that. Is Jack under Ninewells with this? or are you not that far east. I hope all goes well for you, and I know how hard it is to see your child struggle with this. Either way it sounds as if he will win out in the end. Keep up with the treatment in the UK as you get the funds together and perhaps discuss this with the consultant he is under here and see if there is any help they might be able to offer.

All the best with this mate.

Alex

best of luck with the little one jack hope all works out well for him do you have a pay pal acc for him think a lot of the boys on here would chip in for a young one i would pm me or post it if you have all the best cocker 3 :lol: :o ( if you dont have one open one) :o

Hi Graham I wish you and young Jack success with your quest. I went to a fund raising event for a charity last year and alot of money was raised for very little effort . It was called an "auction of promises" where people auctioned their skills for others to buy,ie gardening for a couple of hours,a local garage gave a service voucher a lady offered cream teas for two,ironing, lift into town and back etc. plus goods taken into the village hall for auction on the day also its good fun. good luck. Steve. :lol:

I wish you well in getting your lad fit and well. Its just a shame there could not be anything which could be done here in the UK.

If the NHS spent less money on helping those that should'nt be, prehaps there would be more money to enable the cure to be made at home.

Edited by starlight32

the paypal will be set up in the next few days, thank you very much for the offer. we are really grateful for any help in any way.

as for the nhs dont get me started. jack visits docs from both dundee and perth, we have 1 good relationship with a lady called karen naismith. the only doctor that includes jack in the conversation. he gets very little physio or anything to be honest from them. we have been doing some fundraising already, but have had to eat into the pot. everything from schooling, phyio, hydrothearpy, horse riding which helps loosen him and build strength, equipment, the list is endless. all of which should be available, but the physio at the hospital dont have money to buy or provide it. tay fm provided jnr with his first 3 wheel bike for xmas. again that alone wasnt cheap. £800 but worth every penny as he now can cycle it himself. there is a similar op in the uk, but where the op in the usa consists of a 1" cut on his back with 4 weeks recovery, the uk version is a cut the full length of the spine with 6 months recovery. and very few are done here. the promise auction sounds like a good one, havent heard of one before

Edited by jack01

Hi Jack, I was looking for a "charity" to use to put donations to for the members who have spare brass that could be reloaded when they dont reload themselves.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=122234

I put a thread up a week or so ago about it and the response was quite encouraging with the idea being that instead of throwing our empty centrefire cases away we would offer them to members who reload them and in exchange a donation to cover the cost of postage and the brass would be donated to a charity. It may not be a lot but I am sure that every penny will be well spent on your son!

Why not put your young son's paypal account when it is opened? I am sure that members would be more than delighted to help out, especially for another members son!

I will send you a PM!

The goverment should be giving you every penny of that money to help your son instead of giving it to lazy bone idle benefit scroungers and immigrants. Let me know when you have the paypal set up so I can donate. I wish your son all the best and can't wait for the day when you post that he's running about kicking a ball. Boils my **** when you hear about that skinny whore Beckham and her likes spending that sort of money on a pair of shoes when she could help the likes of your son.

Hi Graham,

Just another thought. it strikes me that the story would make good copy so have you considered approaching D.C.Thomsons. It nice to hear that caring for kids is still doing some good. I used to know Graham Waggit and Gary Moorecroft quite well when I worked up there, but that was some time ago.

Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear the problems you have had with the NHs. They should be providing for your sons care. They do around where I live. It is a shame to hear their excuses. I'd be interested to know about the surgery. Is it a Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy that you are taking about?

thanks for all the posts folks, really shocked and grateful at the responce from all areas of the uk. the operation is the SDR op. if you go onto the st louis childrens hospital site you will be able to read up about the op. there is also some footage of pre and post op kids on youtube. seems too good to be true! the local paper The Courier is giving us lots of backing, coverage of any events we have and lots of photos. we have now set up a paypal account and hopefully it will all be working well. we are setting up a jacks fund page on facebook to spread the word, so if anyone is on it give me a shout and il get you as a friend and you can pass the fund page onto friends. the more people that hear about this op the better, and hopefully another family like ours might be able to get the hope that we now have.

paypal account; jacksfund40@yahoo.co.uk

thanks again to you all from all of us

graham

More information on the surgery can be found at www.stlouischildren.org

We also have a facebook page which will keep everyone posted on future events, ideas and progress so far - it has more info and will promote this surgery and Jacks fund. Please go to... (and pass onto your friends both facebook and email if you can - thanks in advance)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/gr...106563259385796

hi jack just been to the pay pal site and it was pianless hope the rest of you boys will put some cash into this realy good cause .

its not often we can make some little lads life so much better by giving up a tenner or more

would be good if the site sponsors could help jack01 sportsman auction out in some way hint hint

all the best wee man cocker3

just a little update for you guys, paypal was set up on friday, we have had 5 donations so far which mount to £100 :good: . really greatful. if i have to beg to get jnr this operation then so be it. so please please tell people about jacks fundraising, the more people we can get involved the better. even if the guys who read the posts could part with a pound, it all mounts up and gets jnr that little bit closer to this great chance he has to get on his feet

thanks

Graham

thats us just about sorted our next fundraiser, sponsored parachute jump. :lol: hoping to have between 5 and 10 jumpers. if anyone would like to sponsor me please give me a shout. not looking forward to it. should have coverage in the local papers too which will help spread the word :thumbs:

thanks G

thats us just about sorted our next fundraiser, sponsored parachute jump. :big_boss: hoping to have between 5 and 10 jumpers. if anyone would like to sponsor me please give me a shout. not looking forward to it. should have coverage in the local papers too which will help spread the word :good:

thanks G

we also might have a clay shoot to raise funds for jack. one of the local shoots are considering it. if any of the local lads would be up for it just drop me a pm, we are also hoping a team from the firearms division will be coming along to join the day. the shoot is near crieff