Air Rifle game Game

porter

Is it illegal even with the land owners permission to take game like pheasant, partridge, duck etc with an air rifle?

I have read that an air rifle is deemed unfit to hunt pheasant, partridge, duck etc with but i think i could (if it were legal) get clean kills with head/neck shots on these species!

Am i alone in this? Does anyone have an opinion on this? Or know the law regarding game?

Anyone???

Edited by porter

I say leave them be,

BASC list the following for Air Rifle quarry

BIRDS: (covered by the open general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.

MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits

IMO the animals you mention deserve a sporting chance, which to me means they have to fly before I will take a shot, shooting any of the above in the head with an air rifle is a big no no with me sorry :hmm:

Edited by ShropshireJohn

no it's not illegal, if you have permission there is nothing stopping you and an airgun is more than capable, but game birds would be head shots only and this would be tricky due to there heads bobbing about all the time. pheasants and the likes are not very bright when on the ground so shooting them there is considered unsporting.

ss12

no it's not illegal, if you have permission there is nothing stopping you and an airgun is more than capable, but game birds would be head shots only and this would be tricky due to there heads bobbing about all the time. pheasants and the likes are not very bright when on the ground so shooting them there is considered unsporting.

ss12

a very valid point, but if the shot was there, and its for the pot, then take the shot.

Another thing to remember is that a bad head shot may damage/remove the beak and the animal will suffer a terribly slow and agonising death, and a body shot with pheasant and duck may not kill instantly.

I have seen a Mallard that had it`s lower beak partially removed by a little scummer with an airrifle, unfortunately I couldn`t catch it and it flew off when I sent the dog in the water to retrieve it !

Not on IMHO.

A duck has a much bigger head than say a pigeon, which is considered air rifle quarry they also keep there heads much more still and are often sat on banks with a exposed motionless head.

I am familiar with the general rule that a game bird should be in flight before its shot, but i thought/think this applies to shotgun users, as it would be insanely easy to pick of grounded birds with a shot gun. Not sure this rule should apply to air gunners. You wouldn't spook a dear to give it a fair chance before shooting it with a rifle, nor a rabbit, pigeon etc with an air rifle? Anyone agree?

I am familiar with the general rule that a game bird should be in flight before its shot, but i thought/think this applies to shotgun users, as it would be insanely easy to pick of grounded birds with a shot gun. Not sure this rule should apply to air gunners. You wouldn't spook a dear to give it a fair chance before shooting it with a rifle, nor a rabbit, pigeon etc with an air rifle? Anyone agree?

You seem to miss the point, to an extent where your ignorance could get you into trouble.

Unlike pest species, Game is reared and released for the intent to be shot for sport, because of that there a large amount of closely followed etiquette, and a feel to give the birds ''a sporting chance'', As we only shoot them for our own enjoyment, and food, it's only fair to the birds.

You are getting confused, I'm pretty sure that no one would agree that shooting something with a scoped rifle is sporting (British Quarry, at least), but, it is something that needs to be done (To control pest numbers, including deer, and make sure you get a clean and humane kill as possible).

Edited by Bleeh

A duck has a much bigger head than say a pigeon, which is considered air rifle quarry they also keep there heads much more still and are often sat on banks with a exposed motionless head.

The 'rule' is nothing at all to do with physiognomy. You can kill a stationary pheasant just as easily as a stationary wood pigeon with a properly-placed airgun pellet.

The 'rule' is simply one of economics. Pheasants and other game species are at best reared and at worst managed for the purposes of sport, and almost every bird represents an investment of time and money for someone. Unless you have explicit permission from someone financially involved with the management of these species to take these species in the vicinity of their shoot I would advise you as a matter of courtesy to leave them alone.

To comment on another issue raise on this thread, it is up to the hunter as to how 'sporting' a chance he gives the wild (i.e. free) quarry. Personally, if an ‘unsporting’ shot has a considerably higher chance of achieving a clean kill and a swift and painless death for the animal, I would advise you to take it. But then I’m a bit of a bunny-hugger at heart. :hmm:

I hope this helps,

LS

PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG I AM NOT TALKIN ABOUT POACHING as it seems to have come across! And would not take game from managed areas, unless i had permission from the game keeper.

My original question was if wild game could be taken or not, thats been answered, I know fine well that you can't walk onto land and steal pheasants!

What i was trying to establish was that if i have permission from a land owner to go on to their land and hunt what i like, would i be infringing the law to shoot pheasants with an air rifle as at this time i don't have a shotgun license. After a bit of research on the internet i've established that i'd be within my rights. So long as i had the owners permission. This is correct is it not?

Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by porter

This is a really interesting thread, and brings together two different worlds. Shooting for sport and shooting to eat. I fall in to the latter category and with regards to pheasants we used to have the odd one or two wander through the garden each season, even with the nearest shoot being 5 miles away. I had no problem in taking it for the pot with the air rifle. Sport didn't even enter my mind, all I could think about was wrapping it in home cured bacon, roasting it and serving it up with braised cabbage and game chips. I would much prefer taking an easy pheasant like this than go to the supermarket and buy some tasteless intensivley reared chicken. For me shooting is all about collecting my own food. I don't want to give the bird a chance, I want it hanging in the larder!

Cheers

This is a really interesting thread, and brings together two different worlds. Shooting for sport and shooting to eat. I fall in to the latter category and with regards to pheasants we used to have the odd one or two wander through the garden each season, even with the nearest shoot being 5 miles away. I had no problem in taking it for the pot with the air rifle. Sport didn't even enter my mind, all I could think about was wrapping it in home cured bacon, roasting it and serving it up with braised cabbage and game chips. I would much prefer taking an easy pheasant like this than go to the supermarket and buy some tasteless intensivley reared chicken. For me shooting is all about collecting my own food. I don't want to give the bird a chance, I want it hanging in the larder!

Cheers

Amen brother :hmm:

Cheers

I like you! I agree. I've shot a Pheasant before because the opportunity was there and i could see it how you could! Tasty

Lewis

Thankyou you three!!! My hole reason for investing in a new (far better) air rifle is so i can stop buying the ****ty chicken from the supermarket and avoid the expensive butcher prices for chicken and game. I'll replace it with freshly shot healthy wild pheasant, rabbit, partridge, squirrel, duck and pigeon (obviously not feral)!

Edited by porter

I have always been happy to read other peoples posts and keep my head down, because I have noticed people get into arguments over silly things, we would all be better off remembering that people all have different opinions and view points and we should respect them

This is a topic that brings out two sides ...

as a shotgun user I still have an enormous respect for air gunners, it is much harder to stalk and shoot, any prey species, after all weather reared or not, animals are well designed to detect and get away from any thing wanting to do them harm, getting close enough to get a clean kill with an air rifle is much more sporting than the use of a shot gun,

I mean no offense but it seams some people think the fact that pheasants are hand reared with the sole intention of shooting them with a shotgun for sport is some how more sporting or more gentlemanly than a man who simply wants to eat their kills, I respect you opinion but its not mine, if its for the pot and you have permission and most importantly you can get a clean kill well tack it.

I personally feel hunting for food is morally essayer for me to deal with than shooting for pure sport,

OK thats me done if you agree or disagree well thats up to you,......... good luck to you

I think (not hundred %) the lead pellets your talking about applies to shotguns again. You can't use lead shot cartridges over water because obviously a lot of the shot misses the bird and falls in the water, this can damage the environment/habitat. I think the law applies to the environment not the intended quarry. I presume this law does not apply to air rifles. I've certainly never heard it. And if I'm wrong and it does i could always buy lead free!

As for the partridge, the red legged is french and grey english, both game birds and members of the pheasant family. Why did you ask that?

Well I have shot a few pheasant's in the past with my air rifle both 12ft lb and Fac Air (all to eat of course) and dont see the problem as long as it is on land you have permission to shoot and the owner dosen't have a problem with it after all I had a friend who used to do sporting days out shootin pheasant's and he alway's had lot's of spare pheasant's becasue alot of the guns on his shoot didn't eat what they had shot it was just sport to them each to thier own. Which was a bonus because I would alway's take them if not wanted :lol::) And of course dont forget with a Air Rifle there is no meat damage at all don't want to waste any.

Edited by JJaxeman

Cheers

There’s certainly some balance to be found here. Any management of game birds has to allow for some rate of attrition (road kills and foxes inter alia) and one or two in a season that are unfortunate enough to wander off into the path of an air rifle pellet, well, that has to be in there too I suppose.

But, to widen the debate, should shoots really have to allow for a brace or more of birds per air rifle within 5 miles of the shoot? That might be hundreds of birds in the course of a season.

In my opinion, the Game Licence scheme should really have been kept, and the fees brought up to date (perhaps not completely in line with inflation - I read somewhere that the original game licence would cost the equivalent of £1600 in today's money). Government contributions and tax breaks for shoots to manage the countryside could then be meaningfully, if not completely, offset.

It would certainly salve the consciences of those who shoot for the pot (however and wherever they did it) to know that they were contributing.

LS