Theoban Rapid

Axe

Which is better in 12Ft/lb .22, The Mk1 or Mk2 ?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better in 12Ft/lb .22, The Mk1 or Mk2 ?

• Rapid Mk1
    • Rapid Mk2

I am seriously considering upgrading from my current S16 to a Rapid. However, I have read mixed opinions, throughout the many forums, as to which is the better option.

So if you guys can help out, I would be grateful.

Also looking for a sensible idea of how much a second hand Rapid should cost?

Look foward to your opinions, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

axe,

have to vote on the mk 1 had one of the first cant fault it easy to service strip ect. had it over 11years now. Had a few gripes about after sales service but got round all that. Expensive but 11 years plus,at about £500+ aint that bad is it. Not one for swaping things to keep up with the trend but get either and you will allready be in the front. :lol:

Thanks HV, i've only been back in the sport for 4 or 5 months or so. I didnt want to spend a fortune and got the S16 all in with every extra possible for a tidy some. But its to big and heavy, though the bi-pods do make for good shooting.

The Rapid seems like a natural progression and sure does look good too. Great feedback, if its gonna last that long then its a onetime investment for me. Im getting itchy fingers now, so im gonna have to start hunting down a good second hander me thinks. Just hope the wife doesnt spot the bank balance!!

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

Don't listen to what others say!

(I thought you'd know that by now, what with your S16 and all that!)

Try one out somewhere, I'll come with you as I'd love a play on one as well.

See you tonight.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mate has just bought a S16 your not sure if its cocked OR if theres a pellet up the spout coking s a bit hit and miss and it is too heavy. ;):P

Second hand R7 about £400 £450, but dont worry to much about the O rings they only cost a few coppers apart from the white nylon 1 thats a couple of £

i guess that your looking for something with a high shot count?

another couple to give you food for thought:

daystate 500

logun gladitator (wouldnt be my choice though)

yet another option would be for a ncie S400/410 with a ben taylor reg fitted, in case you dont know Ben Taylor is theoBEN.

have tried one on a S410 .177 carbine and gave in exsess of 110 good shots (average un reged is 60) so it almost doubles the shots.

In my opinion the rapid is probably opne of the best bunny blatters out there, throw it around give it some abuse and will still do the job! maybe not as accurate on tagets as other rifles, but good enough for the bunnys.

ROB :lol:

ps why are you not considering the air arms range?

The only disadvantage to the theoben rapid range is the fact you can't attach a sling to them which is worth noting if you intend to do alot of lamping .The later models now have a by-pod attachment but it looks to close to the trigger for my liking .

As Rob says the AA range is more practical ,the s410 xtra high power is worth considering. :lol:

Ive

Thanks Rob,

I will of course take a gander at other rifles as people mention them. I can always rely on people like yourself to answer whole heartedly to the particular question I have posted. The Rapid is a serious rifle and will get serious responses from competant sportsman that know what they are talking about.

The main reason I am looking at the Rapid is 1). The Shot Count 2). The Shape & Size i.e. Design 3). Aesthetics - its damn gorgeous. 4). No one has anything bad to say about them, I dont want to invest good money on a pup.

I have looked previously at the S200 at a Parham Game Show and too be honest, I thought it was a lovely little rifle. This particular rifle was fitted with the multi shot. But, plastic bolts etc. seemed to give a cheap feel. Size and weight was good though. I will in due course, check out the S400 etc. I feel the shot count will be the downfall, i'm getting 200 with my S16 at the moment (don't say it).

Regards,

Axe.

As Rob says the AA range is more practical ,the s410 xtra high power is worth considering. :lol:

Ive

Thanks Ive, but, and as much as i would like one, I don't hold an FAC at present. So its gonna have to be a 12ft/lb'er im afraid. As for bi-pod postion, i'll look into it. Most of my shooting is done from bi-pods, hopefully the lighter rifle will cure that.

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

Axe

If you have land ,written permission and a good sound relationship with the owners then apply for your FAC (Keep it to Airgun though) for starters and leave variations til later on as this is the bottom rung of a very long ladder! so it should be a cert.

AS for lamping and i don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone but 12ft lbs of power in MY OPINION is a waste of time and one of the MAIN attractions to a theoben is how easy it is to adjust the power (as it is an open forum i won't go any further) but i'm sure you catch my drift.

My experience (10yrs+)comes from 95% out in the field to the remainder being done on the range so i know what i'm talking about ,60yds at night looks like 30

AS well as getting your permissions in writing enquire if you can go FAC as well because it's not as difficult as some people think

PS My dads got a rapid 12 mkII and its a lovely gun but you should see him climb over an electric fence without me to assist(£250 from you've been framed would had been a dead cert) :lol::lol::lol:

Ive

The only disadvantage to the theoben rapid range is the fact you can't attach a sling to them which is worth noting if you intend to do alot of lamping .The later models now have a by-pod attachment but it looks to close to the trigger for my liking .

Ive

i have a rapid mark2 with slings on no problems. :lol::lol:

PS and they are attached to the woodwork. :lol:;)

Edited by hawkeye

you can mount a sling on the rapid range very easily either by using a cheta style sling (no screws needed) or by using a buddy bottle mounting clamp, though it does have to be removed to refill the rifle, which is a pain in the butt :lol:

The S200 is a very good starters rifle but thats about all it is good for the MK2 has had a lot of the original parts replaced by plastic so a decent MK1 would be a lot better, the you could always go from a macarri one piece walnut stock for under £200 and £60 for the multi shot mag, so then you would have a custom S200 for a little over £400 well we can all dream :lol:

But the S400 is a totaly different rifle compared to its little brother, much higher build quality and a much better feel to it, there is nothing plastic about this rifle!

But before you deceide for or against anything have a look what people are shooting in the HFT events, for some starnge reason there are no (or at least very few) rapids being used and only a couple of the MFRs are there.

There is one major down side to buying a second hand rapid, they do have a tendancy to have been fiddled with :lol: unless you know the history of the rapid your going to buy i would recomend buying either a new one or second hand from a dealer, at least that way you should get some form of warentee when you buy it.

I have had a theoben rapid mk2 for about 3 years now at 12ftlbs i got 500 shots when i went upto FAC i took it down to Ben Taylor the BEN in theoBEN he ajusted the regulator it now does 28ftlbs and i still get over 100 shots per fill.

PS he fitted slings on for me while i was down there great bloke very helpful.

BY the way i would not part with this for all the tea in china.

you can mount a sling on the rapid range very easily either by using a cheta style sling (no screws needed) or by using a buddy bottle mounting clamp, though it does have to be removed to refill the rifle, which is a pain in the butt :lol:

There is one major down side to buying a second hand rapid, they do have a tendancy to have been fiddled with :lol: unless you know the history of the rapid your going to buy i would recomend buying either a new one or second hand from a dealer, at least that way you should get some form of warentee when you buy it.

With the floating barrel design i personally would be inclined to attach a sling to it !

As for a buddy bottle bracket i made one for my dads gun which is quick release with a m/c...d QD stud welded to it for sling and by-pod(advantages of being in the trade) as we could'nt find one to buy ANYWHERE on the market so i'm interested Rob as to where you located these?

It is very true about theobens being tampered with though so unless you know the history be warned about buying second hand

For out in the field conditions i'm sorry but i don't think rapids I & II are that practical .There are just as good quality guns on the market for around £500 :lol:

Ive

Ive

Hey up Hawkeye

I stand corrected, but is the sling attached to your barrel because the way i sling a gun over my shoulder when i come to a boundary i think i could soon damage one of these so i stand by my earlier comments on practicability.

The old mans(Factory prepared) MII gives out 32 ft lbs and he only gets 40 shots per charge so something for you to note if you decide to increase power from your current 28ft lbs :lol:

Ive

For out in the field conditions i'm sorry but i don't think rapids I & II are that practical .There are just as good quality guns on the market for around £500

for what its worth I stared into pcp with a webley raider (nice gun) now have a daystate huntsman, a daystate x2, a weirauch hw100, and THREE actually still only two! one is being built to my spec now!! theoben rapids all modded mk1s ie set up to mk2 spec but with the handling of the mk1? have one at 12flbs easiest pointable gun to shoot I have? accurate as the Hw100 pees on the x2? one at a very consistent 30lbs (fac) 1" groups at 45yards (the gun is capable of better? I am not) not at all pellet fussy and I get 60 shots from a 400cc bottle,and gives me confidence and the ability to take rabbit at 60 yards cleanly and easily, gun is light easy to handle in the field and does "the job" if you wonder why I have so many guns answer is easy? I got the rapids last? the others would not have been given house room if I had known better? only one thing better than a rapid for field work and thats another?

cheers Keith

buddy bottle clamp here

see BARs site above for the buddy bottle clamp.

but i have seen a clamp made out of a bit of drain pipe a stud some arldite, little bit of plastic and a bit of black paint, just slide on over the bottle and could fit it in about 2 secs!!!! not to mention the costs in volved were less than £3 (and that was only cause he run out of pblack paint!!!LOL)

would have to agree with you though there are just as good (and some better) rifles out there for the same money as a second hand rapid (new s400 £300)

i have the rapid s type in .22 and frankly its an awesome gun. a bit wasted on sub 12 , but sits in the shoulder nicely, trigger is supperb factory set easy to cycle the bolt/mag , and very accurate i have a simmons 6.5-20x40 on it and at 20 - 40 yards very good . 500 plus shots before a refill and it comes with the harris bipod in conclusion very good but a touch pricey i should have shopped around.

buddy bottle clamp here

see BARs site above for the buddy bottle clamp.

n:)

Is this a recent addition to the Theoben range Rob as i fabricated my design over 18-24mths ago .I must admit and again stand corrected but it does seem impractical as my design is Quick release.Made one for my shooting buddy High Velocity who'll no doubt have an opinion when he comes off nights .

Kieth

I have never put into doubt the quality of these rapids but i have just been brought up to speed on certain accessories available to make them more practical in the field BUT AT WHAT COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My S410 Xtra can match these rapids in the field for performance the only difference is i would still have £300 notes left in my back pocket :lol:

Ive

Just hope the wife doesnt spot the bank balance!!

Ha ha ha - some chance of that Axe mate! Mine knows if I've bought a tin of pellets - doesn't object to anything I do, but she knows, and now and again, I get a raised eyebrow.

:lol:

Edited by Evilv

I have never put into doubt the quality of these rapids but i have just been brought up to speed on certain accessories available to make them more practical in the field BUT AT WHAT COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My S410 Xtra can match these rapids in the field for performance the only difference is i would still have £300 notes left in my back pocket

my 30lber cost me the total sum of £450 thats a ton less than my HW100 and £50 less than my X2 ?

my 12lb rapid cost £380 and was mint and unmolested like it seems most are?

my "new gun is in the process of being "assembled" it is going to have some one offs done?? then it will be put on my ticket by an RFD total cost for this baby including the donor gun will be about £500 of which £60 will be for the silencer (AWT)

looking for hopefully at least 60 shots at around 40flbs and with a 400cc bottle ie not the shuttles fuel tank attached shop around ther are some good buys to be had trawl the airguns sites you will soon twig who is who when it comes to buying and selling?

cheers Keith

Hav'nt bought an air gun mag in a long time and i seem to have dug myself into a bit of an hole but none the less

In the yr 2000

AA S410e cost new £465

Theoben MK II c/w vortex silencer cost £749 which the old man purchased in 2002 although i can't be sure on the exact date,

Trying to download some pics but the post master won't let me .Can anyone help ? :lol::lol:

Ive

Hey up Hawkeye

I stand corrected, but is the sling attached to your barrel because the way i sling a gun over my shoulder when i come to a boundary i think i could soon damage one of these so i stand by my earlier comments on practicability.

The old mans(Factory prepared) MII gives out 32 ft lbs and he only gets 40 shots per charge so something for you to note if you decide to increase power from your current 28ft lbs :lol:

Ive

no the slings are attached to the stock but when i carry it over my shoulder the barrel faces downwards.

i dont think i would increase the power any more as i have a .22 rimfire and a .17hmr for furthur distances. ;):P

Edited by hawkeye