BLOODY BUNNIES!

mick miller

Okay, so I've been having quite a bit of bunny success recently with the pop gun but there is a slight issue which I haven't experienced before when using the .17hmr and that is a gut full of blood after gutting. Am I doing summat wrong here or is it just a case of the difference between the trauma caused by a .17hmr round (which lets be honest, tend to make a real mess out of a bunnies face and therefore massive blood loss) and the teeny weeny hole made by a .177 sub 12ft/lb Accupell and the minimal wound created?

I tend to shoot the bunny, pick them up, **** 'em, then plop them into my game bag for gutting later. When I do there oodles of claret swilling around inside that I have to flush out with water when I get home.

Any tips for avoiding that? Is it worth cutting the throat and hanging them upside down for a while off a branch or fence before stashing them in the game bag. And if so, whats the best place to make the cut etc?

Help please... :blink:

Yep not pigeons for sure !

Personally iv not had this where the body cavity is full of blood unless its its been a pulled shot and hit the body. I always try to head shoot my bunnys as i sell them on and i find the only damage to be to the head area, after shooting i always leg mine and carry them head down or hang them up for later collection ! :blink:

That's what I'm thinking, maybe I should start legging them and hanging them up for a while so they bleed out?

Do you think if I cut the neck that would speed the process up a little?

To be honest if you have head shot with a hmr there is not much head left a lot of the time :blink: not sure if cutting the neck will do much, you can only try it may speed it up.

Yes, clean head shots, no body shots. To be honest it's one pellet kills at the moment. The cavity isn't swimming in blood but there is certainly more present than when we shoot them with the hmr.

If I were to estimate the amount I'd say 1/2 to 3/4 of a shot glass full (great measurement eh?). If this is normal I won't worry about it any longer.

Apologies for posting in the wrong section, it was late and I'd had a couple of Wychwood HogGoblin's to drink!

EDIT: I just spoke to a mate and he mentioned that if I'm bagging them then laying up, walking around, laying up until done I could be bashing them around in the game bag, thereby creating more internal bleeding than if shot and chucked on the back of a truck? It's a thought I suppose?

Edited by mick miller

• 2 weeks later...
I tried that the other day too, great method! I wasn't sure how cleanly it worked though, it seems like a lot of pressure and you'd think it would rupture something on the way out?

When I skinned the rabbits later in the day I did check inside and they were very clean indeed, much easier and cleaner than trying to paunch them out in the field. Everyone should give it a go........

Paul.