Bipods

deputy dog

Hello all. I'v had my .17hmr for a month now, but when i bought her, my cash could only stretch to the basics, gun, sights an silencer. I now have a bit extra cash and want to buy a bipod. I have looked at a few brands and some are quite pricey. Any advice any of you can give me on which make is the best. And what design to buy, IE stiff or swivel and what length. Not a totall numbty but if there is a good one out there which most of you prefer using, then i dont mind paying the extra for quality then wasting money on one which wears out and breaks in a couple of months or so. Any replies would be gratefully recieved. :yes::huh::good: . I'm using shooting sticks at mo, and altho i'm pretty spot on with them, i want some thing for a bit extra accuracy at the longer distance.

Thanks

Gareth ???:D

I have two Harris 9 - 13.

One tilt with smooth legs and the other none tilt notched legs.

I had a cheap Hong Kong one, which was ok, but it had a wobble and the glue on the pads got wet and softened which resulted in marks on the stock.

I also used a Rock Mount for a week and it was very good.

My next bi-pod will be a Harris 6-9 tilt swivel for bench shooting.

What ever you buy make sure it is tilt swivel.

HTH

http://www.snipersystems.co.uk/id46.html

These are ones that have been made for the military, as they kept breaking their others, and are now selling as surplus. All sizes sell for £50.

My dad bought one which I not yet seen, but if the military use them they can't be bad.

I use a Shooters Ridge Rockmount 9-23" swivel. Haven't had any problems, but Harris and the ones above go to 27". I find 23" far to short in most cases and have to contort my back :yes: Really good otherwise. Got it for £69.95 but they have gone up now I think

So tip - if you want to shoot sitting down and aren't a gymnast, don't get the 23" one!

Ok, heres my thoughts on this one.

Are you in the military?

Are you out shooting every day?

Are you normaly a careful bloke?

The reason i ask is this. If you are not banging it about and trying to break it, why pay over the odds?

Go on fleabay and pay £25.00 for one from China. I bought a 'cheap' one, and couldt break it if i tried. Some on here will tell you only buy the best, but in this case its not needed. The ones such as Harris might have neater welding and better paint, but dont loose sleep over a chearper one. :yes:

Yeh but the military one is £50 for a 13-27", while a Harris is £120 for the same. Makes sense getting a more durable if it's less than half the price :huh::good:

I an Ex- military and Ive never seen these being used to be honest :yes: But I guess it doesnt say which military

Les ???

I do all my rabbit shooting from a hide, I tried a bipod but as I am old and stiff I couldn't lay down behind it, and I certainly couln't not get up again afterwards! I decided a sitting position was better for me, Trouble was the rifle on the bipod wiggled and flopped all over the place. I went into town and bought a camera tripod for a fiver in a charity shop, I made a VERY simple adaptor to fit it to the rifle and now it traverses left and right, elevates and depresses, and I can aim it where I think rabbits will appear and lock it in position! Magic!

I am trying my adapted camera tripod now with my Theoben Rapid 7 and I can consistently hit a 10 coin at 450 yards.

There's a guaranteed place for you in the 2012 olympic shooting team. Failing that you could be team captain for The Billy Liar Club.