Cleaning barrels & fouling?

tomba26

Hi all,

After shooting this morning I gave my gun barrels a good clean with Browning Legia spray as I had run out or Parker Hale 009. I noticed that there appears to be marks at the top of the barrels (not the choke end) that look like scratches or possibly even residue. Is this something all barrels get or is it something that can be cleaned off like a residue, I have had the wire brush that came with my cleaning kit down the barrels and it still doesn't want to shift, I've only had the gun a little while and never noticed it before.

The gun is a new Miroku MK38 Sporter if it makes any difference.

Cheers.

Is it in the forcing cone bit? Just below where the cartridges sit? This, I think, is lead streaks, and I've got them on mine too. They're a real job to shift. I used to spray it well, then scrub up and down with the phosphor bronze bore brush - before I gave up and left them there :good: :good:

You've probably not nitoced them as when cleaning you tend to look straight down the barrels, rather than at an oblique angle which you need to look at to see the marks :rolleyes::good:

If it's as bad as you say, and my Urika2 suffers from this using certain brands of shell, just how long are you giving the cleaner to work.

It might take longer than 10 minuets you know :rolleyes:

I use Napier and a chamber brush thoroughly wetted with the cleaner and give the barrels a good scrub, then leave them for 1/2 hour or so. It does need time to dissolve the lead.

The Yanks use very fine wire wool wrapped round a dowel which is soaked in cleaner and scrubbed up and down the bore.

That doesn't take long :good:

Hi all,

After shooting this morning I gave my gun barrels a good clean with Browning Legia spray as I had run out or Parker Hale 009. I noticed that there appears to be marks at the top of the barrels (not the choke end) that look like scratches or possibly even residue. Is this something all barrels get or is it something that can be cleaned off like a residue, I have had the wire brush that came with my cleaning kit down the barrels and it still doesn't want to shift, I've only had the gun a little while and never noticed it before.

The gun is a new Miroku MK38 Sporter if it makes any difference.

Cheers.

use a few steel cartridges through it :lol: that should move the lead and leave your barrel like a spline shaft :)

I used some bore cleaner from frost spray it down the barrels and it foams up and fills the barrels after 10+ minuets push phosphor bronze trough then roll up some kitchen paper push through with rod the bores on the barrels of my 682 have never looked so clean. :)

Any more details please?

Forget that idea mentioned earlier about using steel shot, load of rubbish. If you were shooting plastic wad shells I would say the marks are skid marks left from the plastic wad as it is forced up the barell, abit of a menace to shift at times. A good solvent cleaner, spray and leave for about 20 mins then scrub well with the bronze brush and a good bit of elbow grease will do the trick.