Smallest shot size for Fox?

when not on game shooting we do lot of foxing with terriers great craic...... have found when waiting for fox to be bolted if on known path no6 do great remembering foxy aint got great eyesight if you stand very still he will run right past...keep 2nd barrel with 36g no 1 0r 3 gives option for something further away......if it gets past these then fair play.......he live to fight another day!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

AA will kill the fox, and the fox behind him. They don't hold a pattern very well either, I've tested them.

No5 or 6 will do a good job on squirrels and will kill a close fox stone dead, aim at his head. I found that Express Supreme Game No5 Fibre pattern very well in my guns and are reliable on squirrels.

I've not read all this so it could be this has been said.

If the Fox is close enough (at the end of the barrel), anything will do, BB is a good Fox cart in General terms, but it would not be my first choice squirrel cart.

That's why we have cartridge belts, it's worth putting a sensible selection in them!

O/U, SBS can be reloaded quickly, or you could even have a different cart in each barrel if you have a trigger/barrel selector, you have to make a value judgement when you go out!

Not many go out with one gun (of any sort) after Squirrel and Fox! :hmm::hmm:

ATB!

Wow, this one goes back a bit! I've got it sussed by carrying a selection and now I know the gun better and have a set system on my belt I can reload fast enough to take anything. 10x bullets in a holder on the stock, 4x AAA at one end of the belt, 4x #1 at the other and #6 in between.

First post was 2009 when I got my combi and wasn't really used to using it. :good:

Personally i wouldn't use anything smaller then a no.2 shot. Yes i have used a no.3 on a fox before but i was not pleased with the kill it produced, so now i don't use anything under a no.2. Also i only use no.2 carts if their heavy ones like 50g+, which is what i use mostly now as well as some AAA's, BB's or no.1's ;) ;) ;)