decoying crows and rooks

huntercarbine

Hi all, the farms me and my mate shoot on are not crop land, just grazing for sheep and horses. There are corvids all over both and we see them on the ground in the fields. There is a tree line around most of the land which they seem to roost/sit in. We cant enter the woodland but have sat under the tree's and tried baiting the crows down with a couple of dead rabbits. They swarm around the area but none of them land. We got one fro a tree and put him out as a decoy over the rabbits, but still the same, they just won't land. We don't have and can't use anyway(because of horses) shotguns so we've got to get the ******* to land. How many crow decoys should we put out? And will it work with it just being grazing land anyway? The landowner is keen for us to reduce the numbers and we don't want to let her down. advice please mateys, cheers jamie

Hi crows are pretty smart birds, any bird that can walk is smart, they will land if they are comfortable with their surroundings, ie they are not scared of tractors ! etc because they see them all the time, how many times can you get near with a tractor but cannt walking up. Place a permanant hide for a couple of weeks and then use it, if you can get someone to go into the hide with you then walk out and away, even better !.

foghorn

Hi,over the last 2 years i have done pretty well on the crows shooting on grazing land with horses and cattle,best day was 55 crows and jackdaws with my cousin,if i remember we had between 6 & 8 decoys out but most importantly we used crow calls,the horses have always been fine with the shotgun even out to about 20 yds,

Chris

exactally what I was going to say, I use a 12 bore pedretti hushpower to shoot over a sheep farm, dosent scare the sheep one bit

I use my auto on the black pests and shoot in fields with cattle and sheep and to be honest after the first couple of shots the live stock tend to ignore you... <_<:mad:

Hi crows are pretty smart birds, any bird that can walk is smart, they will land if they are comfortable with their surroundings, ie they are not scared of tractors ! etc because they see them all the time, how many times can you get near with a tractor but cannt walking up. Place a permanant hide for a couple of weeks and then use it, if you can get someone to go into the hide with you then walk out and away, even better !.

foghorn

I saw a thing on telly ages ago about how clever birds are. There was one bit on crows and they proved that crows can count to seven before they loose it. They proved it by getting shooters in and out of a hide. As soon as there were more than 7 in, the crows couldn't remember if all the shooters had come out again.

So you need 7 mates to come in and then out of your hide, leaving you in there to do your 'cleansing'.