Which TV for about £500?

V8landy

After some advice!

OH is complaining about the TV, just because the picture is a bit dickie when starting up basically, you turn it on is makes some whistling noises the screen is black and then it goes off. You have to turn it back on and then it might go off a couple of times before it comes back on, and even then takes about 5 minutes for the picture to get to full strength! Women they want everything right away!

Anyway, I might get my hand in my pocket for about £500 pounds, just incase, so I do not miss the queen speech!

So for about £500 I want as big as I can get, not interested in major brand names, don’t need to plug and Xbox, WII or similar in or internet etc.

Don’t have Sky hD etc.

Just need a "good" TV.

Any tips on one, or what I should be looking out for?

You haven't said what size you are looking for?

TV prices have come down and for that money there is a big choice. My advice to you is since you don't have SKY and you will be using RF (normal) TV cable, try not to be tempted to buy the biggest screen as this will magnify imperfections you may get through an RF signal. Worst thing in the world to have the biggest screen with the worst picture!

I would say to go for a 32" LCD and if possible look for one which has 100hz, this will give you a much clearer picture using your cables. Most TV's out there are HD ready so if you do get SKY or the like, the TV will handle it.

I would also recomend you go to a shop that allows you to view the set with an RF signal, as most places now display their sets using high definition; The best high def picture TV may not be the best RF TV, some handle RF much better than others, and some are pretty poor at it.

Hope this helps a little....

So for about £500 I want as big as I can get,

You haven't said what size you are looking for?

As above, just after bigest for money.

We do have sky but not HD.

I have been looking at this one at ASDA, as Mother-in-law works there so will get staff discount off the price

http://direct.asda.com/Sanyo-42+-CE42FD47-...default,pd.html

Edited by V8landy

We've still got a 20" CRT :good:

I've half been thinking of getting something a bit bigger so was wandering round looking at the

options in cost-co on Saturday. One thing that struck me was the picture on the Sony's was

_far_ better than the bigger screens at the same price (ie you'd get a 37" for the same price

as a 32" Sony).

Nial.

:rolleyes: Lgs are poo.

OI :good:

Watch it Buddy :rolleyes: :blink: :sick::lol: :lol:

I know the feeling bud My LCD TV has just blew the CCFL's more than the TV cost to fix it apparently so I am stuck with a lousy 14" Portable for the duration as with christmas on the horizon and a teenage boy wanting santa to be good AND my incoming going down to just over £110 a week it leaves me in a very sticky predicament ???

Hope you find what your looking for

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie