LEAD PELLETS

MPT1

You'll forgive me but this is a tad evasive. Direct question, are you involved with or connected in any way with the manufacturer, distributors or retailers of these pellets? Just asking like, so we can place your ringing endorsement in context :angry:

Nothing sinister,just that he posted this...

I know times are tight but around a tenner for 500 is 0.02p each. Nothing really is it?

Where you buy depends on if you want to go to the shop and risk spending more on gizmos or order on the web and wait in for the delivery.

Personally I go to PAX Guns buy a little extra sometimes and have a chat about anything that comes up. Incidentally they actually make the best pellets I have found and have lots of advice for free.

That and the glowing tribute to these pellets from a magazine he was deriding last week. Well? :good:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly I have no interest in any company that makes any pellet or shooting equipment.

I use PAX GUNS for my shooting needs, been there maybe six times in three years I have no other link to them. They are just a gun shop not a sporting shop selling clothes and gizmos.

UKpoacher your remark was "silly" because you said that even if they worked they were no good.

I have like most of us experimented with various pellets and these suit me for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Thanks for clearing that up MPT1.

My remarks can be simply explained. Even if these pellets were accurate in my guns I would not use them for hunting because they are not fit for that purpose. It takes more than accuracy to make a good hunting pellet and these don't make the grade - despite what it says on the box!

The dynamic pellets you speak off are banned at two of the shooting clubs I shoot 10meters at because they are deemed too dangerous to use because they're too hard and have a tendency to ricochet off the pellet catchers and come straight back at the person using them or the man stood next to him resulting in a trip to the local hospital.

As for using them for hunting they're again too hard and have a tendency to go straight through the head of a rabbit even at 35yards and transfering very little energy to the brain tissue resulting the rabbit being a runner.

A satisfactory lead substitute for sub 12ftlb airgun pellets is yet to be found and tin isn't one of them.

I don't do target shooting and it's very rare to shoot at 10 metres or less.

I've really appreciated all the comments based on experience and knowledge it is for them I started the thread.

The knee jerk reactions have given me a laugh as always, thank you very much.

I still wonder what will happen when lead is banned as inevitably it will be. :angry:

If / when lead pellets are banned we will be inundated with choices other than Defiants. Hopefully some of them will be OK for hunting. The knee-jerk reaction that you refer to is probably down to these pellets being shamelessly and continually flaunted by a poster on here and various air gun forums who has a deep-rooted vested interest in them - i.e. he sell them!

I totally agree with Sharkey. His findings correspond exactly with my experience of these pellets, and looking round the web, we are not alone in thinking this.

I don't know how Defiants came into this, I use Dynamics.

Who is promoting Defiants? Before this thread begun I'd never heard of them.

Same company - same metal, i.e. tin. Also same guy on every forum creating threads and hi-jacking others specifically to promote them.

I totally agree with Sharkey. His findings correspond exactly with my experience of these pellets, and looking round the web, we are not alone in thinking this.

What bothers me about the defiant pellets is, if tin became the only acceptable alternitive to lead then it would very likely lead to the current power limit being lowered or total ban on ticket free airguns. If you want a bit of spectacular showmanship then get an old car door and use it for target practice at 10-15 yards with defiant pellets... who said you can't buy armoured piercing ammunition for airguns :good:

Edited by sharky1

UKpoacher,

You say same company etc on every forum.

I hope you don't believe it to be me. This is the only forum I've ever been on and as I said, never heard of Defiants.

Not you. There is someone else trying to flog these things to all and sundry at every opportunity. For some reason he's not added anything to this thread - yet :angry:

Hi,

In the fantastic BASC Mag. There is an article about restrictions on lead shot. I believe if there is a viable alternative that helps conservation it should be used.

Well there is also a more than viable alternative to lead pellets. What is it you ask? Right I'll tell you then.

DYNAMIC AIR PELLETS, they're made in every calibre, different weights to suit springers or PCPs . They are made from an alloy which according to today's scientific research sre totally non-toxic. They are more finely engineered than lead type and the tails don't get scrunched up.

What do you think?

It sounds like a good alternative, but if it is a harder alloy, to keep the skirts from being damaged? I wonder how well then will respond out of a non-FAC air rifle? Perhaps there will be enough oomph to drive the projectile?

It sounds like a good alternative, but if it is a harder alloy, to keep the skirts from being damaged? I wonder how well then will respond out of a non-FAC air rifle? Perhaps there will be enough oomph to drive the projectile?

In side by side test using 16g pellets the lead diablo pellets came out of the barrel just over 20 fps faster than the lead free Logun Penetrator pellets. That was around 0.75 ft/lb lower power.

Non lead pellets would be good if they grouped but from experience if I want a 12" spread then I will use a shotgun :lol:

They are expensive and ****, simply air gun magazine gimmicks just like the old Prometheus(sp) plastic things that screwed up your barrel.

If you doubt this go to an ft or hft club where people are anal about grouping and see how many people are using JSB derivatives etc. compared to this expensive tin Shiite.

Why do the members of this club use them? Are they leading lights in the shooting world or is the beginning of some bizare sect.

When I see all these ****** and****** from some subscribers is it because they can't spell or have limited vocabularies?

It's very nearly always the same ******g people.

Why do the members of this club use them? Are they leading lights in the shooting world or is the beginning of some bizare sect.

I think they may be figments of someone's imagination.

When I see all these ****** and****** from some subscribers is it because they can't spell or have limited vocabularies?

It's very nearly always the same ******g people.

How about; Expensive, unreliable, unsuitable, inconsistent, over-hyped, useless, inaccurate, or to sum up; s-h-i-t-e!

Ukpoacher

Let's be honest now; how often have you used any other than lead pellets?

Your opinion is so strong I can only assume that you speak from an experience gleaned from years if not seconds of dedicated research.

Selflessly firing off all types and makes of pellet in all different weathers and environments with different guns against an infinite variety of quarry and target.

Tell me the truth, I wont tell anyone else I promise, how many non-lead pellets have you tested? :blink:

I've tried Logun Penetrators .22 in four guns and Logun Penetrators .177 in three guns. All given a fair test - bench rested, targets at up to 30 yds. I also used the LP .22s along with AA Fields, RWS Superdomes and RWS Hobbys in three guns over a two week period shooting young rooks last spring. That's aside from the usual 'whatever comes along' hunting experience I had with them. In the end I gave away two and a half boxes of the four I'd bought. I understand that the Logun Penetrators are made by Pax Guns and sold under a variety of labels including Defiants.

The truth is; they didn't group well, they are slower out of the muzzle grain for grain than lead pellets (Crombo) and they don't transfer enough energy into the quarry compared with lead pellets. In short they are not a viable alternative to AA Fields, JSB Exacts and other diablo lead pellets.

That's my findings anyway.

What really irritates me about these pellets is the way that they are flagrantly recommended by one guy who has a vested interest in their sales, and often does not declare that interest when recommending them. I often wonder just how much, if anything, he donates to all these forums for allowing all his advertising. If they were as good as he says they are, and if members of that club really did use them for competitive shooting, then everybody would be using them by now. As it is, you are the only person other than him who has recommended them to my knowledge. Quite an achievement.

iirc Lea Valley members don't really use them, certainly not the guys who come up for inter club competitions at Shepreth or I would guess the people who have tried them on paper. I suppose the hard advertising and the forum pushing of these things is needed as very few people buy them a second time so new customers are a constant necessity.

As for all the ****'s, mine was cra with a p on the end. very surprised it was filtered but I do tend to swear like a trooper.

Ukpoacher

Thanks for all your imput.

I'm not recommending them, I just thought it might be of interest to get opinions. You have obviously done your homework and have overall given a reasonable opinion.

I use Dynamics which everyone seems to call something else. I don't know if all these different names are generics or copies or what.

Can anyone say for sure they are all the same? It seems odd that Logun pellets are made by an outside competitor.