LEAD PELLETS

MPT1

Hi,

In the fantastic BASC Mag. There is an article about restrictions on lead shot. I believe if there is a viable alternative that helps conservation it should be used.

Well there is also a more than viable alternative to lead pellets. What is it you ask? Right I'll tell you then.

DYNAMIC AIR PELLETS, they're made in every calibre, different weights to suit springers or PCPs . They are made from an alloy which according to today's scientific research sre totally non-toxic. They are more finely engineered than lead type and the tails don't get scrunched up.

What do you think?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm pretty sure all the lead substitute pellets are nowhere near as accurate because of their light weight and density. a lot of companies have manufactured them specifically with increasing the flight speed in mind but every review i have read states that accuracy is affected, in some cases dramatically. usefull if you have permission to shoot where lead poisoning is a concern though, although everything i shoot dies of lead poisoning :D

I've used the Logun version of these Defiants in various guns and have found two significant problems with them; Firstly they are nowhere near as accurate as my diablo pellets such as AA Fields and JSB Exacts, and there was a problem with 'flyers'. About one on five went way off target. I tried them in four guns, three .22s and a Weihrauch HW100 in .177 and two of the guns definitely had clean barrels as they were virtually new. This is reflected by comments on the Defiant pellets web site. In fact that site does little to recommend these pellets.

Secondly, they are simply too hard. They penetrate the target and go straight through wood pigeons and squirrels leaving them to escape and bled to death somewhere else. In the spring I went 'branching' - shooting the young rooks. I used four pellets in a side by side test as the targets were all the same species, age and roughly the same distance and height. These pellets fared the worst by far as regards clean killing.

Granted a good head shot will always kill no matter what the target. But sometimes you can't get a head shot and the softer diablo pellets are far more forgiving, killing where the Penetrators would only wound.

They aren't a viable alternative in my opinion.

Fair play, I suppose it does sound like an advert, but that's because I was quoting the good points.

No they are not the Proetos thingies although they are made by the same company.

If you read what i said they are of varying weights depending on the gun type.

"If we lose lead shooting will never be the same"

Sounds like if we don't have muzzle loading with black powdwer shooting will never be the same.

With regard to accuracy, do military weapons fire lead nosed bullits anymore or do they hve a more finely engineered finish now to enhance accuracy?

Regarding lead, eventually it is inevitable that it will be totally banned as in angling with split shot.

Granted a good head shot will always kill no matter what the target. But sometimes you can't get a head shot and the softer diablo pellets are far more forgiving, killing where the Penetrators would only wound.

If you can't get a head shot then you should move on to the next target. Wounding with lead, plastic or any other pellet is unforgiveable, and shooting the body of Pigeon, Squirrel etc will rarely give a clean kill.

With regard to accuracy, do military weapons fire lead nosed bullits anymore or do they hve a more finely engineered finish now to enhance accuracy?

'Military' small-arms (i.e. rifles, pistols, SMG & MG) all use Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) rounds with lead cores. Lead nosed or soft/hollow point bullets are no longer used by the military, but not because of anything to do with accuracy. They were banned under the Hague convention for being too dangerous :D:lol:

Mark

Highly incorrect unless you have an FAC Rifle, even then I would doubt the statement, particularly with squirrel and pigeon.

11.8 ft/lb .177 Weihrauch with AA Fields. Two of many - dead before they hit the ground. Post mortems confirmed I'd broken their heart...

P1020153.jpg

11.8 ft/lb .177 Weihrauch with AA Fields. Two of many - dead before they hit the ground. Post mortems confirmed I'd broken their heart...

First point is - 11.8lbs will be illegal if taken by the police for testing 'cause they dont use AA Fields

Second point - A broken heart?? You have been reading too many Mills and Boon books.

£12 - £13 is far too much for them - even if they worked.

The problem with these articles is that they accept whatever the manufacturer tells them without question. Maybe in the future there may be a lead free alternative. But at the moment these aren't it.

I've heard some silly remarks before but this takes the bisquit.

Yes I have used thes pellets for two years and have found them to be extremely effective.

'Military' small-arms (i.e. rifles, pistols, SMG & MG) all use Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) rounds with lead cores. Lead nosed or soft/hollow point bullets are no longer used by the military, but not because of anything to do with accuracy. They were banned under the Hague convention for being too dangerous :angry::good:

Mark

Actually I believe they were banned due to there propensity to fragment in the body, which is banned under the Hague convention, I believe due to fears of wounding rather than killing, much like anti=personel land-minds. Luckily the hague affords no such protection to rabbits :good:

First point is - 11.8lbs will be illegal if taken by the police for testing 'cause they dont use AA Fields

Second point - A broken heart?? You have been reading too many Mills and Boon books.

First point - let me worry about that.

Second point - the squirrels are dead - from a chest shot. If you want to restrict yourself to head shots only then go ahead. Just don't try and preach to me about it from high moral ground. I regularly kill pigeons and squirrels from chest shots. Dead is dead!

I've heard some silly remarks before but this takes the bisquit.

Yes I have used thes pellets for two years and have found them to be extremely effective.

What's silly? The price or the fact that the magazine didn't do side-by-side tests with lead free against lead pellets? Bye the way; I see that you mentioned the, ahem, 'excellent' BASC magazine was full of adverts when you posted about it the other day AND you are no stranger to the Pellpax company. :angry:

Edited by UKPoacher

Hi,

In the fantastic BASC Mag. There is an article about restrictions on lead shot. I believe if there is a viable alternative that helps conservation it should be used.

Well there is also a more than viable alternative to lead pellets. What is it you ask? Right I'll tell you then.

DYNAMIC AIR PELLETS, they're made in every calibre, different weights to suit springers or PCPs . They are made from an alloy which according to today's scientific research sre totally non-toxic. They are more finely engineered than lead type and the tails don't get scrunched up.

What do you think?

Fair play, I suppose it does sound like an advert, but that's because I was quoting the good points.

No they are not the Proetos thingies although they are made by the same company.

You'll forgive me but this is a tad evasive. Direct question, are you involved with or connected in any way with the manufacturer, distributors or retailers of these pellets? Just asking like, so we can place your ringing endorsement in context :angry: