HIP

ME

Have a chat with your local solicitors. Some do a deal on the HIP and legal work, saving you money compared to doing each separately. :good:

Estate agents probably offer or 'recommed' a company, but in my opinion, the least those halfwits have to do with the processs the better.

I sold a house last year and used the solicitor that did the legal work, for the HIP.

It turned up about 2 months after the sale was complete.

I asked the estate agent what I should do with it.

"keep it, you paid for it, it's yours" I was told.

RIP OFF BRITAIN, AGAIN?

Edited by rjimmer

They are a waste of money, my solicitor said that she couldn't use most of what was in the one for the house we bought this year because it wasn't up to the standard the mortgage comapny needed.

It also said that the best way to improve the effeciency of the house was to get new storage heaters, no mention of any renewables, solar heating, nothing ground breaking, just electric draining storage heaters. Oh and don't forget 6 ft of loft insulation so you can't use your loft for storage any more.

Dan

I'm with the others when I say that the HIP is a waste of time, just get the cheapest! If only it was made into a complete survey that potential buyers could use instead of having to get their own, instead it's just an added piece of paper that costs money and gives you a backup idea of what most people could figure out for themselves :good:

DIY job :good:

Takes all of 1 hour work. Our EPC was £50. The local authority searches are expensive! Most of the cheaper HIP providers don't use the local authorities to do the searches; which means that a lot of solicitors don't like using certain HIP providers searches.

We got a high EPC because we are connected to gas :good:

They are a waste of money, my solicitor said that she couldn't use most of what was in the one for the house we bought this year because it wasn't up to the standard the mortgage comapny needed.

Yes HIP's are a waste of time, the benefits of such a scheme that were touted at the begining, in a way to validate the scheme, have not been delivered. Much in the same way Stakeholder Pensions were going to 'solve' the pensions savings gap in this country. SHP's didnt work so they have drawn up yet another new scheme.

HIPS are a requirement, so getting one done via a solicitor, will increase the chance of it being 'fit for purpose' and may save you some money into the bargain.