Caught a fox in the garden

Remington 1100

Lets have this one in the right context . your man has trapped a fox that has been coming into his garden and killing his livestock . The fox was caught in a humane trap and killed by a shot to the head . Whats the problem ?. I no longer go out foxing like I used to and do not shoot them unless really necessary . I would say that in this case old reynard had it coming to him . I too dont want the last of our natural predators wiped out but I will tell you know had they had been my chickens I would have waited for old reynard and wouldnt have given up untill he was dead .

Harnser .

I agree harnser, both my parents and grandparents kept chickens. never had a problem with foxes though because they were behind good fencing, 2ft boards all the way round the run stopped ole mr fox hypnotizing the chicks. I've seen this done, fox stares at the chicks, wags his brush abit, chicks get curious and stick their heads out, mr fox grabs them and pulls them thru' cheap old chicken wire and off he goes...

i've heard that story about foxes killing everything in a frenzy, never seen it though, maybe its the mother fox teaching her cubs how to kill. :good:

I see where youre coming from... the eggs taste way better if the hens are genuinely free range, and i dont mean access to a bit of outdoors, i mean free range!! Ours still get shut in the coup at night... last year mr fox had the audacity to maul a chicken right by the house around midday! Prime candidate for the same treatment me thinks!!!

Just my opinion... :good:

yep they sure do! my neighbours on the other side of our house keep chicks too, only problem is because of the numbnuts the otherside they are now having the same trouble.[ his chickens didn't even lay eggs!]

foxes are opportunists as you know, and will always go for an easy target be it chickens, pheasants etc etc, believe me when i say i hear the same old stories time and time again in the shop it's just a shame that not many people seem to give a toss about the impact on the environment.

the owner of my main permission owns highland cattle, he's lost 2 of them to broken legs due to them getting hooves caught in rabbit holes, his land is now over run with rabbits since most of the foxes have been shot.

Go figure :good:

I'll bet a weeks wages the the two above taking the moral high ground haven't been around the after effects of charlie's handiwork. This isn't a creature that just takes what it needs as it'll kill in a frenzy everything it can get to in a chicken house if given the smallest chance - so no sympathy.

I'm with Remmy 100% with disposing of the fox as he did, and I'm glad that he has the trap up and running again - so much so in fact that I'm off out now tonight to see if I can catch up with foxy myself.............

Have to agree with this comment. We once had a fox broke into one of our pheasant pens and killed 40 birds. Came down the next morning and he had burried them all round the pen, there were feathers everywhere. We caught the fox on the way out in the snare :good: , bit too late. But I still have so much respect for this wonderful animal.

Before I start I just want to say I have no view on the right or wrong of this. I love seeing them out and about but if my permission wanted them dealt with (he doesn't) I would ablige.

The killing indescriminantly thing though is a bit of a myth, they kill everything they can then take things back to the Den or somewhere to bury it. if there are still carcasses lying about, hang on Charlie will probably be back to get the rest unless someone/thing disturbed it and it will leave the rest. Giving the impression of killing for no reason.

Before I start I just want to say I have no view on the right or wrong of this. I love seeing them out and about but if my permission wanted them dealt with (he doesn't) I would ablige.

The killing indescriminantly thing though is a bit of a myth, they kill everything they can then take things back to the Den or somewhere to bury it. if there are still carcasses lying about, hang on Charlie will probably be back to get the rest unless someone/thing disturbed it and it will leave the rest. Giving the impression of killing for no reason.

i heard something like this too, something to do with mothers teaching their cubs.

was visited in the milking parlour the other morning by four of my workmates all with long faces, i thought a cow must have died at calving or something but turns out a fox had gone into the shed where the lads had 42 turkeys as their christmas bonus (all sold by the way) and had killed 28 of them and eaten half of the smallest! the turkeys were all worth over 40 quid each so no wonder they were gutted! they had fed them for the last few weeks only to have all the profit gone for the job because of a cheeky fox! the pen is next to the sheep dog pen, there must have been a hell of a racket but no one heard a thing! we strung them all up as they had all been killed neatley with only the necks cut open and feathers ripped about a bit, but they didnt bleed properley so they were no good although still warm at 6am.

I said id have a look that night with the lamp and sure enough at 5pm just after it had got dark a big dog fox was lurking down the track through the yard, he received a family shot consisting of two 56g number 3's from the 10 bore to the chest which gave me a royal black eye from having to hold the lamp in one hand and the gun in the other but nailed him good and propper! they were pleased but it didnt bring the £1500 odd quid back!!

I think he had what was coming and whether he was mutilated or not doesnt matter to me, in fact the deader the better!

freddie.bmp

I can confirm that when presented with lots of quarry that is unable to escape (doesn't happen in the wild) a fox will go into a killing frenzy and destroy every bird that he can. I also know that when they have cubs the fox will typically come back every other day to the pen to get another meal.

I don't have any moral qualms about trapping and dispatching the offending fox, however standing there to take photos of a trapped wild animal which will already be pretty stressed doesn't rest as easy with me.

FM :(