Had my first lesson...

burntout

On Sat 5th I had my first lesson on the clays courtesy of Steve Beddington from Churchills of Dereham and I must say what a pleasent experience it was and I can highly recommend it to anyone.

We started off with the usual safety talk and he answered some of my fantastically Newb questions - but if you dont ask you'll never know I say. After maybe 20 mins covering gun mount, eye dominance and safety etc we moved to the first trap.

This is where the lesson is going to be worth it's weight in clays as there were things I just didn't know about. I have previously shot clays on many occasions on stag do's, lads weekends and such but the difference in having a 1 to 1 lesson is staggering.

None of this "stand there, sweep through, overtake, shoot....NEXT!" milarcy. He really took his time, explaining break / kill zones, winding back from there, body positioning, mounting, not looking at the trap but start around 3/4 back from your break zone.

Anyway, after much talking and gesturing the first cartridges went into my Bettinsoli and I called that wonderful call of "pull" and hit the thing dead center (right left crossing at some height). Bloody chuffed I was!

This went on and I think I hit a good 75% of the first trap.

We then moved on to the other side of this trap which was a left right but at a crazy angle up, something which is unfamiliar from my airgun days, and I could not hit the thing. He pointed out this was the hardest one there and after around 10 misses we moved on. It will come with time and I know what I was doing wrong so practice will make perfect on this one.

We finished on a "driven clay" and I hit 4/6 of these.

For anyone new to the sport I can sincerely recommend having at least one lesson to become more confident in handling the gun as well as understanding the key elements of clay shooting.

I now look forward to the Essex Christmas Shoot to rattle off some more and hopefully break the majority!

Edited by burntout

Good post Burntout, what would the cost be per lesson roughly if you dont mind me asking thinking of having one at Barbury (Wilts). :no:

Mine was £50 for the hour. Some people may consider this a bit steep but as I / we have said before...well worth it. I dont begrudge paying it in the slightest - but then I never mind spending money on me....its the missus I hate spending money on! :(

Well done chap! :( we'll see how much you remember on the big day...

think i'll book one too, my mate bill ridley does coaching just outside norwich, can only help..

:no:

Is this at Mid Norfolk Shooting School?

I'll probably go to **** when everyone is watching! I'll have my ear defenders set to minimum so I cant hear the whispers!

Lucky you for actually finding somewhere to shoot in Norfolk!!! I have the (dis)pleasure of having to work in Norfolk on contract at present and Mid Norfolk Shooting Ground doesn't open over weekends for the plebs / working folk, as I understand it!!! Only shoot on weekdays when most normal people (obviously not those in Norfolk!) have to work in order to afford to shoot!!! ;)

I understand that they they have registered sporting shoots every few weeks or so on a saturday or sunday, but there is no weekend practice, no DTL and no Skeet. Nice for those who can spend their weekdays practicing there, but for those with fulltime jobs, well, tough!!! :look:

Closest ground apart from Mid Norfolk is Lakenheath, more than two hours from where I am based in North Norfolk, so not easy to go shooting in Norfolk!!!

I agree that lessons with a good coach can be very helpful and much more meaningful than banging off hundreds of cartridges "practicing" with bad habits. :hmm:

no, the christmas shoot at high lodge, still coming aren't you? i might need to borrow your gun ;):hmm: lol

sorry, I mean where your mate teaches......I know we're at High Lodge. Got the car booked out with the missus n'all for it so I'm go.

I'll be bringing both guns along so I can have a go on the Eibar as well - at the moment it's a lovely looking ornament!

Lucky you for actually finding somewhere to shoot in Norfolk!!! I have the (dis)pleasure of having to work in Norfolk on contract at present and Mid Norfolk Shooting Ground doesn't open over weekends for the plebs / working folk, as I understand it!!! Only shoot on weekdays when most normal people (obviously not those in Norfolk!) have to work in order to afford to shoot!!! ;)

I understand that they they have registered sporting shoots every few weeks or so on a saturday or sunday, but there is no weekend practice, no DTL and no Skeet. Nice for those who can spend their weekdays practicing there, but for those with fulltime jobs, well, tough!!! :look:

Closest ground apart from Mid Norfolk is Lakenheath, more than two hours from where I am based in North Norfolk, so not easy to go shooting in Norfolk!!!

I agree that lessons with a good coach can be very helpful and much more meaningful than banging off hundreds of cartridges "practicing" with bad habits. :hmm:

I know the feeling mate. Mid Norfolk is only 2 minutes from my house but no good a closed at weekend apart from comps.

Churchills do one on the last Sunday of each month which is £15 for 50 birds - so I'll be attending these. Failing that it's down to Lakenheath or High Lodge for general practice.

I'm lucky I have a permission where I can practice on so I'm on the hunt for a cheap trap now - something that will do around 80-100 yards. I have my feelers out at the moment.

I know the feeling mate. Mid Norfolk is only 2 minutes from my house but no good a closed at weekend apart from comps.

Churchills do one on the last Sunday of each month which is £15 for 50 birds - so I'll be attending these. Failing that it's down to Lakenheath or High Lodge for general practice.

I'm lucky I have a permission where I can practice on so I'm on the hunt for a cheap trap now - something that will do around 80-100 yards. I have my feelers out at the moment.

We must be close mate, i am only 1 minute from mid norfolk :rolleyes:

Have you considered joining any of the local clubs, far cheaper than mid norfolk :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Condor & Burntout

I shoot at a small site just outside Great Yarmouth at Ormesby St Margaret down Decoy Road run by a guy called Ricky

Shoots on Tuesday evenings after 6 and Sat all afternoon and evening, Possible lessons training on Sat Mornings by arrangement

Site has Lights for Skeet and most Sats has sporting layout

Very friendly but no competitions, may be what you are looking for

I had a few lessons at Mid Norfolk, Great place but quite a long way for me to go when I live about 1km from decoy site

Hi Condor & Burntout

I shoot at a small site just outside Great Yarmouth at Ormesby St Margaret down Decoy Road run by a guy called Ricky

Shoots on Tuesday evenings after 6 and Sat all afternoon and evening, Possible lessons training on Sat Mornings by arrangement

Site has Lights for Skeet and most Sats has sporting layout

Very friendly but no competitions, may be what you are looking for

I had a few lessons at Mid Norfolk, Great place but quite a long way for me to go when I live about 1km from decoy site

Hi there,

At the weekend I went as Fat Jays guest and will be joining his club in the new year. Very friendly bunch - even if I did miss the majority. and I mean the majority!

Looking back at some of the pictures he took I can see I'm holding it too far back on the forend and a little low in my shoulder which explains why I tended to shoot high. I'll be practicing dry mounting more to work this out.