Diesel vs Petrol

smiiithy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go for a diesel, I have driven VAG Diesels for the last 12 yrs or so and cant fault them

They will cost a bit more to buy over a petrol version, but thats because you get more MPG, generally longer between services (VW long life service interval is 20k on some models) and the servicing costs are usually less than petrol.

I see insurance cost is a concern for you, chipping your car wont help, it means you will have to decalre this as a modification for insurances purposes, and yes it will cost more. If you dont declare, and you have a bump, they may well pick this up and your ins will be void, and thats a whold world of mess you want to avoid.

Good luck with the search for your new car, its often the best bit

Another vote for a VAG diesel - mine is the Fabia vRS.

They will happily run on biodiesel - so using recycled chip oil will reduce your fuel costs.

I just run mine on 12 litres of Morrisons rapeseed oil at £0.85/ltr to 30 litres of their diesel at £1.07/ltr which averages out at £1.00/litre - so cheaper than petrol.

I don't think I would have any need to chip a 150bhp, it does 0 - 60 in 8.3 (thats 6.2 seconds faster than my Clio) and I could afford the insurance no problem at £848.60pa.

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GT TDI (110BHP) 1896cc 5 DOOR 1998-----£754.10

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GT TDI (115) 1896cc 3 DOOR 1999----- £754.10

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GT TDI PD (130) 1896cc 5 Door 2001-2003 £754.10

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GT TDI PD (150) 1896cc 5 DOOR 2002-----£848.60

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI TDI PD (150) 1896cc 5 Door 2002-----£974.60

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GT TDI PD (180) 1896cc 2002-----£1,009.25

I'd go for a diesel, I have driven VAG Diesels for the last 12 yrs or so and cant fault them

They will cost a bit more to buy over a petrol version, but thats because you get more MPG, generally longer between services (VW long life service interval is 20k on some models) and the servicing costs are usually less than petrol.

I see insurance cost is a concern for you, chipping your car wont help, it means you will have to decalre this as a modification for insurances purposes, and yes it will cost more. If you dont declare, and you have a bump, they may well pick this up and your ins will be void, and thats a whold world of mess you want to avoid.

Good luck with the search for your new car, its often the best bit

Edited by smiiithy

:unsure: Oops. Little did I realize I've been making my car insurance quotes £50 more expensive by putting Immobilizer & Tracker instead of Engine Immobilizer so it's only £794.00 for the VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GT TDI PD (150) 1896cc 5 DOOR 2002 :lol:

Does this car have any security features?

Engine Immobilizer £794.00

Immobilizer & Tracker £848.60

Edited by smiiithy

I would suggest a Fabia VRS i've had mine nearly 3 years and would say its the best car i have owned for reasons below.

Its quick

Diesel which returns on average 55MPG

Very reliable

Cheap tax as its a clean diesel engine

Group 9 insurance

and it looks good particulary in black!!

I asked him if it would cost more for a service of a PD Golf than my diesel Clio and he said he can't see it costing more than a tenner more. Oil and parts more expensive than for the Clio I'm guessing.

I've been looking for a while but it takes time to find a bargain. A 110ps or 115p would probably work out cheaper on the insurance but the 150ps is pretty rapid. Do you know if that remap you were talking about was a full ECU remap or just a plug in chip? Where is this guy who does them?

I have a friend with a diagnostic computer and would be taking my mechanic with me to any car purchase if he was available.

The place near me is called jabbasport. They have a website and are highly regarded in the VAG tuning world. They can do either a generic "chip" or for more money they can map it exactly on their rolling roads.

To be honest, when i got my 115bhp, having it chipped was high on my list of things to do. But, 3 years on, ive still not felt the need to do it. Ive owned and driven many quick cars and motorbikes in my time, and whilst the 115 isnt mega quick, its certainly quick enough for what I want. Now prices are cheaper, id be tempted to get the 130 or 150 if its in your budget. They had bigger turbos and a few different bits, so if you did want to chip then more potential.

Whilst im praising the golf, like others have said, id also checkout the skoda alternative, and even the Seat Leon tdi. Both offer good value. I wouldnt go for the audi a3. I had a look at a few and they were more expensive then the rest, and didnt have as many extras.

From what I'm reading the Golf 1.9 GT TDi 150 is very much what I'm looking for. That one with 151k actually isn't a bad price if it's in as good condition as it looks and if I can get it for £2,500 cash I'll probably take it. Every TDi 150 I've found on AutoTrader and put the reg in my car insurance they've all come up as TDi 130's and there's no option to change it, making it cheaper on the insurance (provided it is a genuine TDi 150).

The only difference between the 115, 130 and 150s is the map; all the physical parts are the same. At 151k I think a robust diesel engine should have plenty left in it. If I do go for it I’ll be ensuring the injectors are cleaned and glow plugs have been changed before long.

my brothers been looking at 150's recently viewed 3 and all got replacement engines, not sure if there is an issue there but on sub 100K cars it isn't very inspiring

The only difference between the 115, 130 and 150s is the map; all the physical parts are the same. At 151k I think a robust diesel engine should have plenty left in it. If I do go for it I’ll be ensuring the injectors are cleaned and glow plugs have been changed before long.

I think you will find they also use different sized intercoolers. Much the same as the Clio's. As such the 150 suffers more turbo lag but naturally a higher output once on boost.

The turbo's are also ever so slightly different internally (don't have part numbers to confirm this)

One common fault surrounding the engine seems to be related to using the incorrect oil. On 2002 models. Also something to do with Camshaft/followers.

There also seems to be Rad fan issues. Apparently they should spin slow whenever AC is on, if they pulse they are faulty.

To check what engine check one of the information plates for the cars output in KW 110 is the 150 hp model.

Goes without saying to check for cambelt changes. Every 60k or 4/5 yrs i think.

Still it will be built considerably better than the renault.

Just spoke to the garage and he says to his memory the service history shows last service by VW at 121K when the cambelt was changed. It’s now at 151K. Could this be a big no go? :( Asking price is £2,985

In what sense? That it hasn't had a cambelt done until 120k or it hasn't had an oil change in 30k?

I wouldn't consider purchasing any vehicle without seeing the full service history. Have you contacted the owner to ask for the service history or just relied on VW to provide details, as the owner may have simply had the car serviced by an independent. Such is the case when cars no loner need approved maintenance to protect the warranty.

The guy at the dealership is out of the office so I'm waiting for him to get back in to get me the reg and all the details. He say's they have full service history, but if it hasn't had an oil change for 30,000 miles :(

And the driver side wing mirror has a crack in it which he says he doesn't have time to get repaired but could sell a replacement for £30

Edited by smiiithy