Newbi would like to say hi to every one

The Clay Rascal

Hi,

Welcome to PW :good:

I can't answer the gun question as to if it will fit etc.

However, if you haven't already bought a cab i would advise getting a minimum 5 gun, if you think you will need a 3 you will quickly outgrow it.

I got my SGC in June and already have 3 guns, with a Beretta SA planned for the new year then a further cab upgrade.

Jon.

Hi THANKS FOR THE WELCOME AND COMMENTS EVERY ONE,

Here's how it goes.

i'm 66 and just got the clay shooting bug, had some 1 2 1 cpsa coaching and got my safe fitted and SGC, but not thinking being a newbe as i'm only small framed and not built like a brick sh that I may find that semi autos suit me better .

Now I want to buy either a al 391 urika s/h or a binelli comfort cordoba or supersport s/h not tried but seems to mount in my shoulder better than anything else I have tried and reading all your posts on this fantastic site I might find the recoil thing better for me as I have been using a berretta 686s and a lourona and found them a bit heavy.

Have Now been in touch with the very nice man I purchased my safe from nr gatwick and he says I can change it for a 3 gun full hight and pay the diff, not many guys like this out there so many thanks to u all .

Mick

Now have a very nice full hight 5 gun cabinette, From a very nice man in horley, and has given me some sound advice too, many thanks,

Mick

Edited by The Clay Rascal

Hi THANKS FOR THE WELCOME AND COMMENTS EVERY ONE,

Here's how it goes.

i'm 66 and just got the clay shooting bug, had some 1 2 1 cpsa coaching and got my safe fitted and SGC, but not thinking being a newbe as i'm only small framed and not built like a brick sh that I may find that semi autos suit me better .

Now I want to buy either a al 391 urika s/h or a binelli comfort cordoba or supersport s/h not tried but seems to mount in my shoulder better than anything else I have tried and reading all your posts on this fantastic site I might find the recoil thing better for me as I have been using a berretta 686s and a lourona and found them a bit heavy.

Have Now been in touch with the very nice man I purchased my safe from nr gatwick and he says I can change it for a 3 gun full hight and pay the diff, not many guys like this out there so many thanks to u all .

Mick

I'll put my money on the guy near Gatwick being on here :rolleyes: he's a good guy.

Have you tried putting a clean shooting 21g load (Hull Comp X) throgh you current gun? Please let us know what gun you have and how long you have been shooting.

If you are new to it you will feel recoil more, work up to it gradually. Back in Feb 60 kent velocities had me tired, disinterested and mostly tired to the point i didn't want to carry on.

21g cartridges can smash pretty much any target to bits and you can shoot them all day and not feel it.

I now shoot 28g high velocity carts, 150-200 in 2-3 hours doesn't bother me.

I'm not turning you against the SA but you will have to shoot heavier loads to get it to cycle although the fealt recoil will be less.

ATB,

Jon.

Hi Jon, yeh ur right about the location, yes he is on here.

Tried 21g and 28g clay busters in the 686s I think they had a big x on the box (21g), only been shooting every other sun since sep and only about 50 carts every time exep when I had 1 2 1 with my coach then 100 each time 3 lessons ,had some cheek and shoulder bruising due to not beeing consistent on my mounting, hopfull this will come with regular shooting, shot 50 a week ago no bruising but the o/u's i've tryed seem heavy to me.

no gun at present untill I change the safe hopefully this week if the snow holds off, been reading the forums most of the week trying to

take in most of the info on different guns etc in the forums etc, tried a binnelli comfort cordoba 30in and felt a perfect mount with out any adjustment but no where to try it in ashford.

will try some lighter guns maybe over xmas but then I spose the recoil will be felt, even thougt about 20g as only will be doin clays.

Mick

Have you considered shooting pre-mounted whilst you get used to shooting and build up your strength in your arms, I understand a lighter gun means more felt kick

If you go to a local non compeditive shoot, there will probably be a lot of members who will let you try their guns and give advice

Welcome Mick :good:

I too had similar problems when I started shooting a year ago. I also started somewhat later than most and am a small framed, older female shooter. My first gun, a Browning Medallist O/U 12g, beat my cheek up badly and I needed a shoulder gel pad to soak up recoil and stop bruising, even with some mods to the gun and a cheekeeze pad on the stock. Then I went for a "professional" gunfit at a well-known Black Country dealer, and bought a Browning Ultra XS Titanium Prestige which had been fitted to me by them. Hmmm. It was dire, despite the gun being a beauty with a great pedigree, I was getting hurt every time I used it, despite having 1-2-1 coaching sessions and gun mount not bad. Needed lots of pads and stuff to avoid the facial and shoulder bruising and I was at the point of chucking it in when I saw a semi-auto which caught my eye one day while shooting at Doveridge. It was a special edition Beretta AL390, a Lioness numbered limited edition. I was able to try it at the ground and fell in love instantly. It blasted every clay I tried it at, is actually beautiful to look at, and wow.....NO FELT RECOIL!!!! I used 28g Hull CompX and could have shot all day with it.

Thus started my love affair with semi autos.......I'll always be grateful to the Lioness for making shooting such fun and such a pleasure for me. I've since acquired a few more semis, including a Beretta 20 bore and a Urika 2 Trap. My Ultra XS is for sale, lovely gun that it is, it def didn't suit me. The semis are fantastic - I can shoot all day with them, I love shooting them and they make my shooting days a pleasure. All I can say is go for it - buy the gun you really want having taken advice from the coach or someone you trust. Don't think you'll somehow not make the grade if you have a semi - you can shoot all disciplines with one even if the miserable trap shooters moan about being "pelted with empties".

Whatever choice you make, enjoy it. Starting late doesn't mean you can't become very proficient or enjoy a good few years of competition and fun shooting.

Edited by Condor

Many thanks Condor for the welcome and all your info,

looks like either a AL391 URIKA for me haveing read loads of info on them now need to try one BUT WOULD LIKE TO ALSO TRY a binelli comfort cordoba, or a supersport, but have been told on here they kick quite hard unlike the urika's, did u try a binelli?

mick

If you are buying your first semi-auto gun I would advise you to start with a Beretta 391 . They are well made , easy to shoot and cycle most shells. There are a lot of them about so the price should be less painful while spares should be easier to find . When starting out most people feel it is better to stay with well know guns from either Browning , Beretta or Miroku rather than start off with a gun few people are familiar with .

Shooting should be fun so when starting I would recommend you keep it simple !

Edited by T.C.

If you want reliability you need to strip and clean the gun regularly. It takes me about 10 minutes to clean the action and barrel plus another 10 if you need to clean the exhaust valve and sleeve and 5 mins for the bolt. I don't find it a problem but I gather some do . For me the reduced recoil and light weight make it worthwhile .

I do the barrel every time I shoot plus the piston and its centre rod . I do the bolt mechanism every 500 shells or so and the valve and piston sleeve every few months .

Edited by T.C.

I tried a Benelli but preferred the Beretta infinitely. The Benelli is a fine semi auto but it'll always be Beretta for me I think, as they seem to suit me better and I honestly have NO FELT RECOIL shooting Hull Compx 28s or Eley VIPs.

I enjoy my Urika 2, but my favourite is still the AL390. There are excellent used ones out there if you look hard enough, maybe go to a shop that has a shooting ground attached and you will be able to try several guns depending on what they have in stock. A plus point is you can get excellent used ones for well under £1000 in nice cases with chokes etc where good O/Us will cot a good bit more.

Oh, as for cleaning - the 391 can be tricky to strip and clean but the big US site Shotgunworld has loads of info to help you. The 390s are simpler to clean and strip down but it really isn't all that difficult.

Edited by Condor

Hi again Mick, and a Happy Xmas to you!

I tried a Benelli - to be honest, the comfort stock and the Benelli itself didn't suit me like the Beretta did. The recoil was definitely more in my opinion than the Beretta. The recoil pads etc, whatever they may be, really don't make much difference on a Beretta as the recoil is really low anyway. The Teknys, another Beretta semiauto, is a Urika really, with an added recoil device in the stock which makes it heavier, but soaks up even more recoil apparently. You might want to try one. I haven't shot with a Teknys as the recoil from my AL390 and AL391 Urika 2 really is minimal, and I love them. The Teknys is apparently geared to whole-day game shoots, while I only shoot clays.

Some say that shooters are either suited to Berettas or not - I definitely seem to be, and the Benelli wasn't for me, fine gun that it is. Best thing to do is to try one or more of each - as I said, some gun shops are attached to shooting grounds and will allow you to try their used guns, charging a nominal fee if you don't buy it. Best way to get a feel of the different semiautos I think, unless you have friends with guns you'd like to try!

Hope it goes well for you, take your time when selecting a gun and try to get professional advice. :good:

The sporters generally have a 28" barrel while the 30" ones usually appear on the (rarer in the UK) Trap variants. Remember that 28" on a semi equates to about 30" on an O/U anyway because of the added length of the action on the semi making the barrel appear that bit longer. The longer variant is favoured by trap shooters because of the extra "pointability" and stability but it does add a bit more weight. I have one of each - the 28" is light and swings very easy while the 30" is heavier and more suited to trap - but then, it is a Urika 2 Classic Trap !! If you want to shoot mainly sporting, I'd go for the 28" myself, butif you can try both before buying, even better. No difference IMO to the recoil - its pretty minimal on both, shooting 28g Hull CompX. :good: