Which AirRifle For Rabbits and Woodies .177 or .22

fletcher1234565

.177 and soft pellets such as JSB Exacts or AA Fields work well for me when hunting. The trajectory of the pellet is flatter than .22 and so you don't need to judge how much higher to aim at longer distances. Once set up, a 12 ft/lb .177 will hit a 1" diameter kill zone between 10 and 40 yds.

As for the type gun; then a springer is cheaper but not as versatile in that you can't as easily get a second shot as with a PCP, and there is less fishing round for pellets in your pocket when you have a magazine fitted.

Neither are 'better' but both are good. I used to like .22 because it hits harder but a friend of mine swears by his .177. .177 will shoot flatter and a bit further but the .22 hits harder. Both will kill well if the pellet is put in the right place. Headshots all the way. Whatever you get, make sure you have plenty of practice on targets and find some ammunition that the gun you choose likes. I used to use AA field (.22) and accupels (.22 too)

Good luck with whatever you get mate :good:

EDIT: Spanner in the works, an old boy I was talking to absolutely loved his .20, flat and hard hitting but hard to come by. :lol:

Edited by sharp_shooter_sam

.22 in FAC and .177 in sub 12ft/lbs i say! :good::good::rolleyes:

Yes and no. A .22 pushing out 20lb or above will have a straight trajectory and hit a 1 inch target from 10yards to 50 yards. Same as a legal limit .177. So, in that aspect, if you just want to point and shoot without worrying about trying to workout hold over / hold under then that statement is right.

The old age debate between .177 and .22 is never ending, and its like how long is a piece of string. When your talking about legal limit air rifles its all about personal preference. At the end of the day, both calibers will kill if the shot is spot on. Personally I use a .22 and dont mind the hold over / under calculations. Its all about knowing your gun. Both calibers will do the job, so its up to you which you go for really!

Edited by jackinbox99

Just bear this one point in mind - if you have big meaty fingers or wear gloves while you shoot - .22 are bigger so not as fiddly to handle as .177 while wearing gloves, little else to choose between them really apart from that.

I have a little chappie to load for me. Don't you?

Just bear this one point in mind - if you have big meaty fingers or wear gloves while you shoot - .22 are bigger so not as fiddly to handle as .177 while wearing gloves, little else to choose between them really apart from that.

Not unless you got a muti-shot rifle and load your mags up ready.

• 1 month later...