North East Gunsmith?

Ratc2

Hi Guy's,

Brand new to the forum and guess what, opened up a great present this morning a Beretta Silver pigeon V 20g.

Here's the snag.

Putting it together for the first time and the "Top lever" didn't snap back to the centre as advertised, it was about 1/4" off to the right.

On closer inspection the small pin on the upper left hand side of the breechface of the receiver appears to be slightly bent!!

I can't believe it's something I've done since it went together so smoothly apart from the Top lever not centering.

Any advice greatly received.

I did read about a week ago the name of a great gunsmith here in the North East...........................Gunsmith to the Queen in Bishop Auckland area, a name and telephone number would be useful. Would that be my first port of call or back to Beretta with it's 10 year guarantee?

Great pity, since I had lined up my first shooting over the Christmas break!!

Thanks in advance.

On closer inspection the small pin on the upper left hand side of the breechface of the receiver appears to be slightly bent!!

That's how it's meant to be!

Edit to say...

You should be able to depress the "bent pin" with your fingers, whilst applying force to the top level toward the right... This will then "snap" the lever back over towards centre.

Then... push the lever to the Right again

The gun should now go back together - but in this order... Barrels into action ( level should then click into place) forend onto Barrel

Edited by garyb

Phew - Glad to hear that I've not done something daft and it's supposed to be slightly bent!!

I had read the manual several times before putting it together and indeed that's the way I did it.

Fore-end off, Barrels on the receiver then fore-end replaced!

The Top lever still is off centre.

If I Push the "Top lever" to the right and depress the "bent" pin the Top lever does centre, but when I close the barrels to the receiver the Top lever will not centre! :)

Garyb - Thanks for the help, I Really appreciate the quick reply and photo. The gun appears to lock but the Top lever is off centre to the right by about 1/4". If I could figure out how to upload a Photo I'd post a couple.

Just to confirm - It is the small pin on the top left hand side of the breechface receiver that is supposed to be bent.

I can see that with a bit of use the Top lever may snap to centre when closing. It is a new gun after all.

If the top lever is not centred how would you know if the gun was fully locked? :)

It certainly close smoothly. but not with a snap!

Perhaps I'm being a bit gentle with it because I'm unfamiliar and don't want to damage it!!

I'll keep working at it Gary, perhaps it will get better. I'm just glad to hear that I've not done anything to it or I've bought a duff!!

Slightly off topic I notice from your photo that you fire the #2 barrel (Top) first. Is that a personal preference?

I was told to set it with the #1 barrel (Bottom) firing first with 1/4 and 1/2 choke.

This thread is missing 1 vital piece of information IMO,

If you buy a new gun and think you have a problem with it - the first place you take it is back to the shop you bought it from (or it was bought from). They are the ones who made the profit from the sale. I can imagine short shrift if you turn up at any random dealer and expect them to sort the problem if you didn't buy it there!

• 4 years later...

Hi Guy's,

Brand new to the forum and guess what, opened up a great present this morning a Beretta Silver pigeon V 20g.

Here's the snag.

Putting it together for the first time and the "Top lever" didn't snap back to the centre as advertised, it was about 1/4" off to the right.

I can't believe it's something I've done since it went together so smoothly apart from the Top lever not centering.

Any advice greatly received.

I did read about a week ago the name of a great gunsmith here in the North East...........................Gunsmith to the Queen in Bishop Auckland area, a name and telephone number would be useful. Would that be my first port of call or back to Beretta with it's 10 year guarantee?

Great pity, since I had lined up my first shooting over the Christmas break!!

Thanks in advance.

dont worry about that mate the lever on a new gun is always over to the rt when the lever gets to centre or worse still to the left this indicates a lot of use .get shooting with it and for christs sake dont try to force it to the centre

Nice present. :good: :good:

It's not just Beretta guns, it's often the others as well.

After a few thousands shells you should notice the top lever gradually ease back towards the centre.

I have a original american winchester 101 over 38 years old the lever is still slightly to the rt after 100s of thousand shells its still tight after 38 years plus a sign of a well made gun

I have a original american winchester 101 over 38 years old the lever is still slightly to the rt after 100s of thousand shells its still tight after 38 years plus a sign of a well made gun

when that top lever goes over to the left get worried no need to spend some of your hard earned cash

dont worry about that mate the lever on a new gun is always over to the rt when the lever gets to centre or worse still to the left this indicates a lot of use .get shooting with it and for christs sake dont try to force it to the centre

After 4 1/2 years he has probably had it sorted.