fixing a gun cabinet

stu_young

Yep that's what I did.

Top tip, make sure the bolt goes in dead square, if not, the longer you leave the bolt hanging out of the wall then the more difficult it is to marry the bolt up to the mounting holes in the cabinet.

My second top tip is get a 20 mm steel drill bit to give the cabinet mounting holes a little bit of "extra" to cater for any wonky wall mounted bolts, and then use massive steel washers to cover it all up and make good :yes:

that would be fine so long as u use a 10 or 12mm thread bar,iv done it in the past with no probs tho atm im using m12 thunder bolts having worked in the steel fixings/fabrication industry i had a box full hanging round..

all u need to provide is resistance to attack with hand tools so be sure if its in a corner that it cant be levered away and if its on a flat that a pry cant be lodged at the back...my walls are all higgldy piggldy so i fitted a tapered board at the back so its flat to the wall

i know a fella whos safe was bolted flat on the deck to the floor joists and that was cleared <new house with no hidden solid walls>

just be very sure u blow out ALL the dust and do give it time to harden as the last thing u want is it to move even a mm when its checked and grind down the bar thats proud of the nut as they have stock damage written all over them

steve

hello mate, as you're a norfolk boy do you know where builders equipment is? they sell the stuff, its called SPIT and fits in an ordinary mastic gun. costs around 12 quid.

have you drilled the holes yet? if you have then use a bolt 2mm smaller than the drill bit. the easiest way to fix the cabinet is mark and drill the holes, clean out the holes, then place the cabinet back in position and wedge tight to wall, thread the nuts on the bolts, apply epoxy resin, push bolts in, leave for about an hour and then tighten up the nuts. to protect the guns you can always wrap the heads with insulation tape.

I used the screwfix own branded resin

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31582/Fixing...ion-Resin-380ml

and these studs

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99026/Fixing...30mm-Pack-of-10

easiest way to clean out the hole is to use a vacume cleaner (i tried brushes and a little pump but the hoover was perfect.) My cabinet has 5 fixings and 1 stud sagged so I had to hit it hard with a lump hammer and it was still VERY firmly attached to the wall.

Love these things :blink:

I just covered the back of my cabinet in pritt stick and pressed it against the wall till it stuck! Passed first time! Hope this helps!!

I hope you cut the heads off the bolts and glue them over the bolt holes! :good:

:blink:

Phil

Edited by RC45

HOW MUCH!!!! Did you have to buy a special dispenser gun aswell, or does it fit in an ordinary mastic gun?

As a one off an ordinary mastic gun will work if the action is tight as there is quite a lot of pressure. You need the heavy duty gun if you were doing it all the time.

I was going to used threaded rod but it can be a pain to get the bolts started where it was cut. This system was quick, easy and very strong.

£20 isn't a huge investment to fix the gun cabinet and a separate ammo safe!

As a one off an ordinary mastic gun will work if the action is tight as there is quite a lot of pressure. You need the heavy duty gun if you were doing it all the time.

I was going to used threaded rod but it can be a pain to get the bolts started where it was cut. This system was quick, easy and very strong.

£20 isn't a huge investment to fix the gun cabinet and a separate ammo safe!

Just surprised how much thoe bolts were, i've got a few hundred knocking about in my shed which got left over from a previous job, all stainless 150mm. :blink:

Have you not got solid brick walls ?

I still recon good old steel rawl bolts Cheep as chips from Screw fix

six of them !

you'll need a JCB to drag your cabinet off the wall

My cabinets are held on with 16mm Rawl bolts (A bit overkill i know but they were FREE)

Wabbit from Fort Knox