Beretta Silver Pigeon?????

tasr12

Hello all,

Some advice please, I'm getting back in to game shooting after 12 years away. I have a non-ejecting AYA Yeoman and was thinking of treating myself to a new/little used 12 bore. The Silver Pigeon looks like a nice gun and a lot of people seem pleased with it, I haven't tried one for fit yet but on paper it looks like what I want.

Anyway my question is this: What is the difference between the Silver Pigeon Series? Reading up I can see that the SP V and IV seem to be the top end and finished to a higher standard but what's the difference between the III, II, S and C? Also how do these compare to say a Beretta Superlight other than the obvious weight issue?

Apologies if this a really obvious post but in my search I haven't been able to see a clear difference and haven't had time to get in to a gunshop.

If anyone knows of any of the above going at a good prices in/around Dorset I would also be grateful!!!!

Cheers,

t.

:yes:

AFAIK the Silver Pig range is all the same action you just pay more for prettyer wood and fancyer engraving (or the awful black finish of a SPV). I bought the SP III

The SP range is heavier than the ultralights. There is a game SP that is lighter than the sporter and a trap one that is heavier.

Go and hold one! Fire one if possible

I love my Silver Pig :yes:

AFAIK the Silver Pig range is all the same action you just pay more for prettyer wood and fancyer engraving (or the awful black finish of a SPV). I bought the SP III

The SP range is heavier than the ultralights. There is a game SP that is lighter than the sporter and a trap one that is heavier.

Go and hold one! Fire one if possible

I love my Silver Pig :yes:

I just traded my silver pigeon S. Good gun excellent quality.

Phil

As Apache say 68x series berettas are on the same basic action with a growing range of styles, finishes, names and looks.

Here's a link to some reviews Jason Harris did a few years back .. should give you an idea about them

http://www.trulockandharris.com/reviews/beretta686e.htm

I like them and have a 686 SP ...2

For a quick guide to prices have a look at Guntrader.co.uk

Any particular reason you went back to the side by side?

Don't get me wrong it was a great gun, but my first gun was a side by side but it gave me a swollen finger due to it being to short and getting it altered was set to cost me more than the gun was worth so may dad who has shot an o/u for 20 odd years now persuaded me to go for an o/u which i did. Now i shot great with this gun and no doubt i shot my strongest i have ever shot with that gun on some partridge dropping birds missed by several far more experienced guns but it just never felt right and in the end i found out the comb was to thick for me and i just never felt it fit into my shoulder like a side by side did as it had a wider and longer end of the stock that went into the shoulder or thats what i think so i borrowed a s/s and shot so well i had to go back as i just love how they feel. It all comes down to preference. If i was to have an over and under it would most defiantly be a silver pig until i make my millions and get a pair of purdeys :rolleyes:

George

If that's the case I may struggle to stretch the budget to one of those, shame!!! Are guns going up in price as general rule at the moment? What difference does a 28inch barrel have over a 30 inch, (other than 2 inches!!!)?

Edited by tasr12

If that's the case I may struggle to stretch the budget to one of those, shame!!! Are guns going up in price as general rule at the moment?

You can pick second hand ones up far cheaper than that maybe 700-800 on gun trader they are about you just have to look

All the best,

George

If that's the case I may struggle to stretch the budget to one of those, shame!!! Are guns going up in price as general rule at the moment? What difference does a 28inch barrel have over a 30 inch, (other than 2 inches!!!)?

I have 30 inches and it swings better, one of my friends has 28 inches and his seems to encourage point and shoot. We both tried each others and came to the same conclusion. Not scientific, just an opinion :good:

Have a look at the Bettinsoli range, not quite a Beretta but a good gun for the money.

Phil