How many moles are trapped by PW members in 2010

MM

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last spring I was adveraging between 500 and 600 a month.

As soon as this snow breaks and the ice has gone I'll be at em again,having to make do with mice,rats and fleas at the moment with the odd cluster fly job thrown in.

Its not the snow putting me off,its the fact I cant get around!!!!!

Was out lamping with a mate last night,I only saw and shot 2,I think the lack of traffic down here has put everything on edge or they are hiding in a nice warm set and just out at first light as thats when I have had the last 4 since the newyear.

How about coincidence the phone has just rung and a fox is making his presence known at a local farm,so I know where I'll be tomorrow evening about 7 o clock.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been busy because with the snow cover it has been impossible to trap until the last 2 weeks. The beggars have been really giving it large with whole hillsides covered in hills. Difficult to know where to start so I am doing it bit by bit. My averages have been rubbish. Sometimes only 2 killed for 12 traps set like yesterday. I have bought a batch of Duffus traps as the claw traps were not catching hardly.

I a man with a mission because the farmer says he will support me using rimfire as long as I keep at the moles. I have had about 14 so far with maybe a couple nicked by badgers. Wish I could make it my full time job as I do enjoy it.

Do any of you get a really big patch of hills which gets bigger and you just cant get them?

I have been busy because with the snow cover it has been impossible to trap until the last 2 weeks. The beggars have been really giving it large with whole hillsides covered in hills. Difficult to know where to start so I am doing it bit by bit. My averages have been rubbish. Sometimes only 2 killed for 12 traps set like yesterday. I have bought a batch of Duffus traps as the claw traps were not catching hardly.

I a man with a mission because the farmer says he will support me using rimfire as long as I keep at the moles. I have had about 14 so far with maybe a couple nicked by badgers. Wish I could make it my full time job as I do enjoy it.

Do any of you get a really big patch of hills which gets bigger and you just cant get them?

ah, the ongoing battle. :blink: :good: it is fun though.

14 today,36 in the last week and two farms to set traps on tomorrow,three farms the day after,should have the first hundred traps out by the end of the week with any luck now the snow has hopefully finished coming down again(2" of snow yesterday again)traps set on 2 new areas today .

What kind of ratios do you lads get? I think my problem can be not being able to tell which are the fresh dug hills when there has been frost or snow ,unless they were really fresh that is. I used to get about 1 kill per 4 traps but it is about 1 per 6 at present.

i get about 2/6 traps. sometimes i can wait days for a catch, and others it can catch a few over night. ive only got 7 traps in the ground at the mo, and ill check them in the morning. the earlier i get there, the better chance of finding which hills are fresh i find.

try and get as many traps in as poss, and keep checking for new hills. always leave a marker, as they can easily get lost and forgoten about. :rolleyes: try duffus traps, they seem to work for me.

Yep. I have gone onto Duffuses. I think there is some mainly American stuff on youtube but it is worth having a search,just to get the idea. Well worth a search on here too. Very satisfying when you lift your trap and you have the big daddy mole squished nearly in two.

I have listened to Jasper Carrots instructions on mole control with great interest. :good: Good though it is there are some points he has neglected to cover such as what is the best cartridge and shot size for moles. I have found Rio 32gr 6s just seem to blow big holes in the lawn and do not have the power to reach the deep *******. I have some old 3 inch Winchester XXX 1 9\16 oz loads in BBs ( US size ) but am a bit worried about the blast effecting next doors garden which is a mole reserve managed by the RSPM. Perhaps I should use non toxic steel when trying a blast close to the fence. I have heard a rumor that red cartridges being more visable down mole runs are better than green ones. What is the forum members experiance? :lol:

Edited by anser2

I have caught 52 since christmas. I am a professional pest controller and most of the mole work I get tends to be odd ones in gardens etc. I do a lot for local authorites in schools, parks etc and now the snow has gone that number will rise dramatically. I have one area to clear where I estimate there are somewhere in the region of 40 moles. It is over 25 acres of pasture land and has now thawed out enough to start playing.