new pick up

picardy

Hi all happy new year! In need of some usefull advice from all you 4x4 owners basicallly looking to change my 99 L200 for something newer need something to get the dogs in so looking at a pick up but dont know what to go for my budget is around 5k been looking at various navaras but been but off with the engine problems like the hilux and rangers and also would consider another L200. Getting 28mpg so need something as good and nice to drive had alook at a 110 defender but not my cup of tea. Please help

stick with the L200 in my opinion mate,I currently have the nissan terrano 2.7TDI SWB

suits my needs and it's also never missed a beat in five years,also very GOOD on diesel

for what it is,but when i do change it, it will most definatlley be for the L200 pick up.. :good:

'WATCH THE TAX DISC PRICE' if it's just a shooting truck you need and dog wagon

not much point in going to new and costing your self more money..on tax and comfort.

could spend that on cartridges'n' stuff.

Regards...(julian)

navara new shape 55 i think they sorted out the engine and transmishion

mazda b2500 no way

isuzu rodeo bit of a clunker

ford ranger not my cup of tea

land rover 90 and 110 great vehicals but not the most cumfy

i have a 55 plate l200 warrior love it to bits might be worth spending more than 5k to get a good 1 i have just put on general grabbers at2s on and it goes any where even in this weather

all the best bruxie

my old man had a hilux, its was good to drive on and off road (but needed some good AT's) he had no problems with it in 4 years and 100K. Cheeky sod went and sold it when I was out of the country otherwise it would be sitting on my drive atm.

This was a 05/55 though, not sure about the older ones, think it did about 35mpg

I have an 07 plate hilux twin cab and its fantastic, loads of room , performance, economy, 500 miles on £70, mines a 2.5 t/d the 3.0 models are a bit thirstier, and will go anyway with good tyres on.

you won't get a new shape one for your budget, but the early models are just as capable.

I've got a 55 plate 3.0 twin cab hilux which i use for shooting. Absolutely brilliant machine. Had no problems with it and not got it stuck yet... Goes everywhere my landrover can. Had a chip put in it for more torque and an extra 6mpg. Nothing even come close to toyota reliability. Parents have a land-cruiser for the dog. 176000 miles. No mechanical failures only thing done to it are new tyre's and brakes. I can't speak about the L200 but the a friend has a navara and it doesn't come close to the hilux. It's far more cramped in both the front and back, and looks a bit dated. The L200 is a good looking car though. A bit childish i know but what's the only road legal car to get to the North Pole?;)

Joe

Edited by joeainscow

new truck wise I am looking at the L200 W as the hi lux and ranger have alarm chimes they wont silence or modify for the owner, am told the new 200's will do 35 MPG ;)

PS i spoke with Toyota customer service....... well sir we wont modify the chimes on the new HiLux to suit you as it invalidates the warrenty :/

Edited by pavman

No reputable car garage should disable any alarm. They are a legal requirement under the EU. Any modifications to light, seatbelt or door warning systems invalidates your MOT. Therefore no insurance and payout. That's why Toyota won't disable them. My friend is in his 2nd year as an apprentice for RRG toyota. I asked him if he would do it for me and he said that he'd get sacked for it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it is just that, an opinion. I have temporary tricks i use each time i take the Hilux out shooting and they do the job fine. In my opinion buying an expensive machine on the basis that one can turn a buzzer off doesn't make sense unless it's only used for shooting. Surely economy, design, performance, cost and reliability are your only concerns?! Buzzers are an afterthought.

Joe

Edited by joeainscow

the only alarm which bugs me on the hilux , is the seatbeat undone one,which is easy sorted with a seat belt clip from the scrap yard, if your in and out of the car all the time ,like when rabbiting, just stick the spare clip into the holder, job done.

apart from that that ,best pickup going, by a long way.

I don't know anything that actually invalidates an MOT so thats interesting,

if you've owned a car though and one feature annoys the hell out of you why would you buy another that did the same though ;)

If it's a legal requirement though then all cars must have it. Therefore no matter what you buy it'll have the same annoying alarm. As happyhunt said and i have in a previous thread spare seatbelts solve the seatbelt alarm and taping the door Push To Make solves the door open alarm if your lights are still on. I can't comment on the L200 as i've never driven one or even been inside. The Hilux though is a far better all round pickup than the nissan. I'm currently getting 39mpg from my 3.0 invincible. My last 600 miles have been on the motor way. Manchester to Plymouth and back to pick up a new clay pigeon trap.

Joe

If your only after it temporarily then maybe consider a lease. Due to it being classed as a commercial car you can claim all your VAT back on each payment. I have no experience of the older shape i'm afraid. There's loads on autotrader of the older model. Decent ones start at about £4000.

Joe

Btw if you want a decent test drive then you are more than welcome to come have a go in the navara and hilux in the fields ect. If you do get a hilux let me know and i can sort out a cheap remap for you. Better mpg, torque and hp. Fitted due to towing mini diggers with it ect and the extra torque makes a huge difference.

Joe

Edited by joeainscow

"If it's a legal requirement though then all cars must have it. "

Mot's and EU laws are two seperate things Mot is only the roadworthyness of a vehicle on the days it tested. EU directives for what cars should and should't have is a completly different thing.

Haggis.