Firms 'taking you through security'

Thunderbird

I had my home insurance company call me, at home, yesterday and the lady immediately state that she needed to 'take me through security'. I pointed out that my home was in fact fairly secure, and bearing in mind they called me on my home number it was a safe bet they were talking to me. I said I was not prepared to answer any security questions to an incoming call so she asked me to call back on an 0845 number which of course we all pay for, just like 0870 and 0844 numbers. I asked her to tell me what they wanted, and she would not tell me!

It may well have been to sell me something!!!!

I know they are just carrying out a policy and doing their jobs, but come on, I was at home!

Rant over.

Also my wife for a different matter rang a call centre (in India, obviously) and the person had a real attitude and talked all over her.

It reminded me of another incident a couple of weeks ago when my credit card firm, apropos nothing at all, decided to stop my card for a 'fraud investigation.' The fact that we were using it in all the shops we usually do - close to home - was apparently neither here nor there. The (again Indian) call centre person was really rude, abrupt and talked over me.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, because working in a call centre is the top of the social heap there, they must think it is here too!

Edited by Thunderbird

Ask them for the password that you sent them to authenticate and check that they are the authorised contact for communicating with you - I get REALLY annoyed when they start telling me its due to the Data Protection Act as that is complete and utter ********.

Hey ho... It's usually down to them trying to sell you something!

One chap held on for about 20mins trying to get me to "authenticate" myself - that shows persistence, he still wouldn't give me his home phone number so that I could call him back however!

-A

I had my home insurance company call me, at home, yesterday and the lady immediately state that she needed to 'take me through security'. I pointed out that my home was in fact fairly secure, and bearing in mind they called me on my home number it was a safe bet they were talking to me. I said I was not prepared to answer any security questions to an incoming call so she asked me to call back on an 0845 number which of course we all pay for, just like 0870 and 0844 numbers. I asked her to tell me what they wanted, and she would not tell me!

It may well have been to sell me something!!!!

I know they are just carrying out a policy and doing their jobs, but come on, I was at home!

Rant over.

You would be amazed how many complaints we used to have from policyholders about us giving information about an ongoing insurance claim to someone answering the customer's phone before we did these checks.

A company who holds passwords for you should never contact you by telephone or e-mail - asking you to authenticate yourself by telling them these passwords. The idea of the passwords is supposed to be so that if they write to you and ask you to contact them, they can then check you are who you say you are, by asking you to confirm the password/s they hold for you. The difference is when it is a bank or building society with say telephone banking, they will ask for specific parts of your passwords to confirm your identity. Someone calls you up and asks you to confirm your passwords - tell them to naff off! :good::lol::D:hmm:

Pushkin :lol: