Yesterdays sick roe buck and a couple of clips

sako751sg

Went and checked on the young roe buck i had saw in the neaps yesterday.Unfortunately/fortunately he hadnt lasted the night and was suffering no more.No sign of recent damage to his jaw,but it was definately malformed and would have been hindering him from getting decent food especially with the depth of snow.We have 22 inches of snow in places and the deer will be struggling to find a bellyfull.I put out hay in places and last night there were 6 at one bit and they will be glad of the help.

Another clip is of a covey of 6 grey partridges in the neap park where the buck was.I didnt see a grey the whole of last year,and they are in serious danger of becoming a thing of the past in our area.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Great vids Sako, really interesting to see wht is happening in other parts of the country.

ATB

Tony

Cheers Tony.The brother stays about 10 miles away and they have only recently had an accumulation of snow,and yet here we have an unbelievable amount.We usually have snow that lasts for a week to two at the most.I have never seen the wildlife struggling so much to get their fill,and it will take a long time to get some bare ground again.

Always sad to find a deer such as you found Sako - I have come across a few in my time generally ones that have been in a RTA and die several days later - when you find them it seems personal like losing a friend.

Your idea of the hay seems good - we have not had the quantities of snow you are experiencing but nevetheless my local farmer will let me have some hay to put outside his woods tomorrow.

Sako,

great to see you took the effort to go and check on the poor fella, always a shame to see something you know has suffered but best wishes to you and your family.

Topman and good luck be with you.

The PM

Cheers PM.I hope most of you folks would have done the same,as a slow lingering death for any animal is not a nice option.

Dave.

I dont know how to put this politly, but if you knew that he was suffering that badly why didnt you despatch him before?

Right question out of the way. I accept tha there may have been logistical problems, not having the rifle ect. and also being out of season.

Well done you showed responsibility for going and checking on him later. It is a very good idea with the hay, ill have to try that we use fodder beet now.

Great Vids

Beretta

I dont know how to put this politly, but if you knew that he was suffering that badly why didnt you despatch him before?

Right question out of the way. I accept tha there may have been logistical problems, not having the rifle ect. and also being out of season.

Well done you showed responsibility for going and checking on him later. It is a very good idea with the hay, ill have to try that we use fodder beet now.

Great Vids

Beretta

Let me put this politely,if you had read the previous post about the buck you would know the answer to your question.Right now thats out of the way,look before you leap!!!

I like the hay idea too. That's really good.

Beretta... Sometimes when we're out we don't carry a rifle, or at least not the right tool for Deer. I'm assuming when Sako got back there with the right gun the Buck had already died? Not a lot you can do about it in that case but good on him for keeping an eye out to see how he was the next day :rolleyes: