Worth the price?

joeainscow

I'm just starting on the clay scene and was wondering weather Eley VIP's are worth their cost? I can get them quite heavily discounted due to a good friend. 28g for £29 per 250. Would you say i should save my money and get some Eley first's or Blues for £19 per 250?? Do the cartridges make that much difference. I do a lot of game shooting so know how important the correct cartridge is for the right game. But with clays surely you only need to clip it to make it break?

Joe

One of my friends who i take out shooting on my land can get them cheap. He's convinced me to have a go on the clays. This has resulted in me buying a second hand manual trap and considering joining a club. When i go with him i always get 250 off him :-)

Joe

Edit

Are they worth the extra money though? I don't want to be using top notch cartridges if something cheaper will do the same job?

Edited by joeainscow

:good: Now as you all know I am a complete novice still having lessons at clays, so don't burn me if I talk **** please. I am currently using Eley First24 gm loads on skeet and when I tried other cartridges, it didn't seem to make me any better or worse - mind you, would be difficult :good: - I think the ground sells them for about £130/1000. I also would love to hear the opinions of the more experienced shooters here - I read recently that loads as low as 21gm were ok for most clays except real long stuff, or was I being spun along?

I hit 72 on sunday. Everyone said that was really good especially since it's only my second time at a clay range. Having a dabble at DTL on thursday. Apparently thats allot harder? Done allot with my trap at home though. I was given some Eley 22gr and really struggled with the long rangers. As per usual i blame the cartridge and not myself :good:

Joe

Edited by joeainscow

I'm just starting on the clay scene and was wondering weather Eley VIP's are worth their cost? I can get them quite heavily discounted due to a good friend. 28g for £29 per 250. Would you say i should save my money and get some Eley first's or Blues for £19 per 250??

Joe

Get as many VIP's as you can, you could probably make a killing by selling them on to Just Cartridges!!

You won't notice the difference between the Firsts/Blues and the VIP's so save yourself a tenner and use the cheaper cartridges. :good:

It is clear that this guys mate that has offered these shells fid not expect him to publish the prices on such a forum. Either somebody at Eley ( I presume) is going to get themselves in a lot of trouble or ( worse still) they are nicked.

I was getting shells very cheap off a contact through litts before they went bump, I was buying them very very cheap but they weren't £19 a slab!