shooting over ferrets

dj.chapman

hey all. going out tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any tips for shooting over ferrets, i dont mean silly ones like dont shoot the ferrets. i got a hedge to work thats about 100 yds long and littered with holes, there is only my gun there so i was gonna put a long net on the other side of the hedge and get my brother to work the net. any help would be great as this is the first time i will have shot over my ferrets. thanks

hi there mate, ill bbe doing the same thing tommorow myself. only advice really mate is just common sense,, never shoot directly into the holes, wait for the rabbit to be a few yards away so that you dont shoot your ferret by mistake if hes right up the bunnys bum, never shoot through a hedge unless ur sure theres nowt on the other side, and always be aware where the other guys are oppisite you, but most importantly mate just av fun and enjoy urself

Safety is your biggest issue.

If you are going to do it anyway, stand with your back to the hedge and only shoot into clear ground going away from the hedge (and your buddies). If you have dogs about, best secure them so they cannot run. Keep the safety on until you are going to shoot then be sure you are safe before you move about to a different position, especially if you already took 1 shot and you have more in the gun!

I knew a chap who is now 1 dead hunter from tripping with the safety off and a live cart in the gun!

If in doubt - don't

am diding the same tomorrow , you need 2 gunners and 2 ferret men ,the guns stand about 20Yard's in to the field and the ferret men stand behind the guns but next to the hedge row let the rabbit bolt about 30 yards then nail it NEVER shoot behind you or the ferret man 1/2 and 1/4 choke will do the bizz :angry:

Edited by milo2005

Never seen the point in shooting hedgerow rabbits as 99% the rabbits just hole hop IMo very dangerous for ferrets.

Now shooting rabbits in open land warren is one of the best sports to be enjoyed where the rabbits head for another bury in the distance.

Stay safe and always make sure your ferts are alway from the shooting area seen 4 dead ferts though shooting the box.

Regards OTH

AS MUST OF MY SPORT INVOLES FERRETS I SHOOT OVER THEM ALL THE TIME ME AND MY MATE WE DO THIS ON THE SMALL WARRENS TO SAVE TIME PURSEING UP AND WE GET GOOD RESULTS OUT OFF IT I WOULD SAY THINK SAFE BE SAFE AND KNOW YOUR GROUND AND DON'T SHOOT TOWARDS THE HEDGE AND HAVE FUN HOPE YOU GET A GOOD BAG

I only ever do it if I have someone with me, especially if you are doing a hedge as it is too difficult to cover both sides yourself. Enjoy it mate, it is great fun and I never net rabbits any more because it is so much fun shooting them over the ferret.

we have done it for years, we have a gun each side of the hedge,never shoot in the hedge let the rabbit get out a few yards then shoot it.we put 2 ferrets in.

done the same yesterday came back with 3 nice rabbits should have been 4

watched them hoping from hole to hole until they met one of the other ferrets coming up the tunnel

then they bolted