Another good bag from the Irish lads

gary29428

As the title suggests I am from Ireland, living on the west coast. We shot this bag down south in Cork. Got about an hour of great action on the camcorder, we could probably market it if it wasn't for the X-rated language. Cracking afternoon after a slow start. Used a pinewood magnet and they we drinking it, you could see them getting hooked 400yds away.

It all depends where you are. Theirs big flocks down south and the midlands areas.

But the north west west, southwest, has very small flocks.

In my area, its not good, going too hard on them as their numbers are low.

In areas where they are high, they dont get shot much and theirfore are easier to decoy. :thumbs:

Would agree with most of what Frank has said with exception to the easy to decoy bit, we are only at the pigeon's about 2 years and have made every mistake in the book. It is only now we are seeing results, take last Sunday for example. There were not many pigeons flying earlier in the day but there were a few, those that were in the air were not decoying to our spread. We noticed there flight line was a couple of hundred yds to our right in an area we could decoy, we moved the jeep up onto a hill the birds were crossing and this had a dramatic effect. The birds were now turning just enough to see the magnet and headed straight in, but again only some were coming all the way in. We were about 50 up from the outside of a corner, we moved another 50 yds up the ditch and that was that. Just about every bird that seen the magnet came in. As I mentioned we are only at this about 2yrs and my best advise to anyone starting is be prepared to change things if things are not going well. A hand full of birds coming in but turning at the last moment is signal enough that something is not right.

Gary, your right. In my area, no one bothers to shoot them, so if i do decide to bag a few, then it is not too hard. Just put out a few decoys, put up a hide around a tree, stay perfctly still, and i get a few for the pot. I usually get around 6 to 10, on a good day around 15. :lol:

As i have said, i dont go too hard on them, they are not too plentyfull in my area.

I dont spend more than an hour, the odd time that i do go out. B)

Keep up the good work Gary. :thumbs: