Target Shooting in Pubs...

smig4373

MC/RC45,

The installing of extractor fans were the downfall of quite a few 'Intended Range Builders' because it was so costly, although for a RF range I don't suppose it would be quite the same as was required by the Tunnel Club Range in Devizes when it was an up and running full bore Range.

As for being built and used in Pubs, I find that hard to imagine particularly as alcohol and firearms are normally a No No.

I'm talking about a 'full blown Bar' not the odd hip flask or can of beer (or two).

Edited by stuartp

This is why so many of these leagues and clubs had their downfall - too many do gooders spouting tosh

Any one else suspect EMcC is from the HSE? Or just wishing he was! :lol:

He's a good bloke, give him a break! It wasn't a bad point really was it? Guns and alcohol along with some of the sorts that seem to appear in pubs these days isn't the best mix really. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't trust some of the people that get in my local with a pool cue, let alone a gun! :lol:

Well I'm feeling better now, thanks to the guys that said a good word on my behalf.

I really do not know why I was jumped on but it seems to have levelled out now so can we all resume as normal site users.

I can assure you all I am not, nor ever will be, a troll - they live under bridges don't they :lol:

MC/RC45,

The installing of extractor fans were the downfall of quite a few 'Intended Range Builders' because it was so costly, although for a RF range I don't suppose it would be quite the same as was required by the Tunnel Club Range in Devizes when it was an up and running full bore Range.

As for being built and used in Pubs, I find that hard to imagine particularly as alcohol and firearms are normally a No No.

I'm talking about a 'full blown Bar' not the odd hip flask or can of beer (or two).

Hi EMcC

I am a member of a club with a full blown bar but there is nothing in the rules saying you have to get hammered before you shoot.This club has 4 30 yd lanes, rimfire only, it is just outside devizes so if you would like to come down one monday evening, have a go and meet some responsible shooters who can shoot safely and not be tempted by the nasty bar you would be welcome.Pray tell, what is the difference between a couple of cans from the back of a car or a couple of cans from a full blown bar.

Geordie

MC/RC45,

How many times do you hear of an accident relating to a pub and it's built in rifle range :lol:

and

How many times is someone killed or maimed from someone driving whilst intoxicated :lol:

Obviously your the sort that thinks the only people who should have firearms are the Police and the armed forces!

Surely you would better spend your time knitting a new hat, than pester law abiding people enjoying a bit of banter about their sport!

Rant over :lol:

I only caught the very end of the Countryfile feature, but from what I did see it seemed to me that the rifle was fixed in the tunnel such that it could not be removed or pointed anywhere other than down the pipe and in the region of the target. I might be wrong but that would seem to cover off the safety thing quite well. Less dangerous than your average fairground rifle range anyway.

Anyway...I have shot with quite a few people over the years, and given the choice I would rather be on a beating line right in front of some of them when they were completely bladdered than within ten miles of a few loonies when stone cold sober.

OK! OK! OK! I'll take up knitting. :hmm:

Anybody want a .22rf .222 22-250 .243 .308 or a 30-06 and all the relevent reloading gear for the CFs

and a 12 bore AYA No 2 and a McNab Highlander. :hmm:

Mind you, I may suffer from withdrawal symptons as I have been using rifles regularly for more than fifty years.

I have re-read my first post and really cannot understand where or why the abuse came about but if that is how some get their rocks off then fine, enjoy your life.

:hmm: When it was actually Shell they had a club shooting under there every monday night, i used to be a member, but you can only shoot so many .22lr rounds down a tunnel at 25yards before you get bored silly....open sights and no moderators....bloody noisy!!!! :hmm:

Now that it has been sold I dont know if its open any more, they actually had a fairly good target shooting team. :hmm:

Edited by Evil Elvis

:welcomeani: When it was actually Shell they had a club shooting under there every monday night, i used to be a member, but you can only shoot so many .22lr rounds down a tunnel at 25yards before you get bored silly....open sights and no moderators....bloody noisy!!!! :yes:

Now that it has been sold I dont know if its open any more, they actually had a fairly good target shooting team. :rolleyes:

Hi all

Yes it bores me too so i fire 1 magazine full to check zero and and that is where the bar comes in so if anybody wants to join me for a drink or two on a monday evening they are welcome, bring a rifle aswell if you want

Geordie

OK! OK! OK! I'll take up knitting. :welcomeani:

Anybody want a .22rf .222 22-250 .243 .308 or a 30-06 and all the relevent reloading gear for the CFs

and a 12 bore AYA No 2 and a McNab Highlander. :yes:

Mind you, I may suffer from withdrawal symptons as I have been using rifles regularly for more than fifty years.

I have re-read my first post and really cannot understand where or why the abuse came about but if that is how some get their rocks off then fine, enjoy your life.

EMcC. I thought this was an open public forum where people can debate various topics, sometimes with lighthearted replies if someone is of a different opinion? Not somewhere every one should have the same opinion as the next or I'm throwing the toys out of the pram and selling my guns because someone had a bit of a dig at me! :rolleyes:

You are obviously an experienced gun, as you say over fifty years, so I can not see why you would want to come up with negatives as to why this pastime should continue or expand :good: Surely that should be left to the namby pamby do gooders who make it their aim to spoil peoples pleasures? Not one of our own!

What's next? Ban dominoes in pubs for fear that someone may have a few too many and smash someones skull in with the playing board after trying to remove their eyes with the tiles? :hmm:

Perhaps the rifle shooting in a public house is a tail back to the times when every village and town had its volounteer company of riflemen, an early territorial army? Many villages around The Bkrders have their Drill Halls and Volounteer Halls. In one at least I have shot rimfire from under the billiard tables at tragets backed with hardwood logs, that ended when the Drill Hall in question became a British Legion Social Club. Turn back the clock to pre 1940 and without doubt you will find quite a number of indoor ranges, a bit of research also reveals outdoor up to 1000yard ranges while I know of others which still retain their steel target plate and scorers refuge hut.

Blackpowder