Humidity effects on ballistics

old rooster

Went out after some pigeons with my mate on Sunday, it was a very still, humid day, not normally good for pigeon sport but on this occasion we had a fair deal of activity which picked up even more once we got the magnets rigged and running.

Strange thing was we both shot really badly to start with and I have a sneaky feeling it was down to air viscosity change due to the high humidity. Reason I say that is because I tailed a few birds which I was sure I'd given the usual amount of lead, started to stone them once I started to swing through them further before firing but it took some discipline to keep leading so much.

Has anyone else come across this or were we just both shooting badly as a matter of coincidence ?

I'll add my experience here, (for what it's worth)

The cartridges that I use for wildfowling are always kept in the airing cupboard and cartridges I use for clays are bought indoors a couple of days before being used as cold powder burns slower and does give differing results.

Also with target shooting with a rifle if you are shooting lots of rounds in one detail it pays not to close the bolt until you a ready to take the shot as the opposite happens. the round heats up and the powder burns faster giving different performance and therefore a different zero point.

But then again it could have been a coincidence :thumbs: B) :lol: