17 hmr zero

rad334

Hi everyone, I normally zero my cz 452 17 hmr at 100 yrds as many others do, I seem to get on fine.

After changing my scope mounts I needed to re zero to go lamping but couldn't use my normal zeroing field.

Someone suggested setting the zero at 47 yrds and this would match 100 yrds. I did this and got very tight groups at that range,

but when we went out it was all to pot! I couldn't hit anything over 125 yrds. I dont expect to hit everything I shoot at but normally an inch above at 125 yrds and a couple of inchs above at 140 yrds and I'll kill most of what I shoot at. I will set a target out at a hundred when I get chance just to see if that 47 yrds is right. Has anybody else ever zeroed at this range?

no, haven't tried that - there will be a point that the elevation's the same but keep it simple for yourself and zero at the range you'll use it at.

If you wanted to go right into it, you may well find your zero's correct and you had a lack of confidence in it which caused the problem (there's a massive mental side to it). Let us know about your zero though; would be interesting to find out. Personally I think it'll shoot high (I'd aim about 5" low at 50yds and I'm zeroed at 125yds).

Load No. Caliber 25 50 75 100

0053 17 HMR -0.4 0.2 0.4 0.0

0049 17 HMR -0.5 0.1 0.3 0.0

CCI

You will probably be close at 47 yards but that isn't the way to do it.

All barrels, length, quality, condition, etc will zero differently. You also have to take into account scope height, and the exact type of ammo as well, etc etc.

What you need to do is get your zero SPOT ON at 100 yards (or whatever you want), when you are absolutely happy with that then go back to 50 yards or 25 yards or whatever suits you.

Hit another zero target and keep that for future reference, you will then always be able to zero at a shorter distance and know you are right for 100yards!! If you change ammo you will need to do the whole thing again!!!

Edited by Dekers

You could be right what you say, once I'd missed the first I blamed the zeroing and lost all confidence, assuming then I'd miss every shot at that range. I even managed to have a full mag at a sitter at probably 130-140 yrds, 5 shots! Very ashamed! after that I gave up. I like to kill not wound, but then the hmr doesn't wound.

For my LR, I'll do a proper zero at 65yards (at 10x - max for my WTC), then expect it at 40 to be 1" high. After I've cleaned the barrel I'll expect the first two shots to be pants. After cleaning, I'll put a clip through it at 40 yards on 6x and as long as my group is tight (after the first two) and an inch above the bull I know it's zeroed.

post-17403-1265206981.jpg

Edited by Colster

Load No. Caliber 25 50 75 100

0053 17 HMR -0.4 0.2 0.4 0.0

0049 17 HMR -0.5 0.1 0.3 0.0

CCI

You will probably be close at 47 yards but that isn't the way to do it.

All barrels, length, quality, condition, etc will zero differently. You also have to take into account scope height, and the exact type of ammo as well, etc etc.

What you need to do is get your zero SPOT ON at 100 yards (or whatever you want), when you are absolutely happy with that then go back to 50 yards or 25 yards or whatever suits you.

Hit another zero target and keep that for future reference, you will then always be able to zero at a shorter distance and know you are right for 100yards!! If you change ammo you will need to do the whole thing again!!!

Deker was being very helpful here listing all sorts of variables. List of things to consider when figuring out your specific gun with the specific load. It might be helpful to tell us what load you are using because what another finds as their zero is useless if you are shooting 17gr and they are shooting 20gr.(as an example)

Another thought could be that you just purchased a bad lot of factory loads as well. The good news would be that you or your confidence was not the fault.

Edited by azbycx

When I got my HMR, I faffed around doing the zero at 35 and it will be spot on for anything up to 150 etc. In the end, I just find it easier to zero all rifles at 100. Now my HMR. 223 and 308 all are zeroed spot on at 100. If I plan a highland stalk anytime in the future, I would need to be ready for longer ranges upto 200 so I'd just change the zero to be 1.5 inch high at 100 yards and that would be enough for a chest shot up to 200 (provided I'd practiced at that range).

Keep it to a 100 and know how far you can shoot by practising.