what woods for roosting

markyboy

hi, im really keen on shooting pigeons and want a go at them coming into roost. i have acsess to 2000 acres, what the best wood that a pigeon will come into roost at this time of year? will they pick one wood and chose to roost in it all through winter? or can you go sit at a wood that has signs of pigeon and hope for the best? please forgive my lack of intellegence.

hi, im really keen on shooting pigeons and want a go at them coming into roost. i have acsess to 2000 acres, what the best wood that a pigeon will come into roost at this time of year? will they pick one wood and chose to roost in it all through winter? or can you go sit at a wood that has signs of pigeon and hope for the best? please forgive my lack of intellegence.

[/quote

Find the wood with the most pigeon poo in it. Then stand in that area and wait. try putting a few deeks in the trees and keep well hiden

thanks guys ive got a couple of weeks off soon so im going to do a bit of spotting,i have noticed a few woods with lots of feather when we have been up shooting the pheasants. now the season is over im trying new things to keep me busy shooting. ive done a fair bit of pigeon shooting in the summer but have never really had much sucsess yet.

Ive found on my shoot if its really windy and cold, they tend go go deeper into the wood out of the wind, but on calmer nights they use the edge, droppings and a spot of reccy go a long way, also watch thier flightpaths, maybe you can wedge yourself in somewhere under it and intercept them coming in to roost

As already mentioned scout out the wood with most droppings and preened feathers, if you have isolated larch or hardwoods within your conifers try and get within shot of those as birds will land on them before actually seeking roosting trees, especially if late afternoon sun is still on them. A face mask is also a great help at roost time.

Blackpowder