Reloading for a .243

Having problems getting rounds as my local shops say they are all on backorder etc,,, this happens a lot!

I re load 10 G shottie having got the kit off a friend and then was shown how to go about it...

So if i wanted to start re loading for my 243 what would be a good starting point......

Yes i bet this one has been done heaps of time but not be me :oops:

Having problems getting rounds as my local shops say they are all on backorder etc,,, this happens a lot!

I re load 10 G shottie having got the kit off a friend and then was shown how to go about it...

So if i wanted to start re loading for my 243 what would be a good starting point......

Yes i bet this one has been done heaps of time but not be me :oops:

Pav I started to reload my 243 about 18 months ago, got the kit and then had the help of some one far more experianced than me to set it up and take me through the basics, this was asfter I read Lee's ABC of reloading so I have the basics in mind before actually loading anything.

The process is not hard as long as you take it step by step and take your time, check and recheck everything etc.

It is also incredibly satisfying loading your own and producing something that is far more consistant than factory loads and then using that in the field.

What sort of bullet and weight are you thinking of using?

I currently load 75gr Vmax over H414 powder with Federal Brass and primer for a vermin/fox round and a 95gr SST for roe.

Pav I started to reload my 243 about 18 months ago, got the kit and then had the help of some one far more experianced than me to set it up and take me through the basics, this was asfter I read Lee's ABC of reloading so I have the basics in mind before actually loading anything.

The process is not hard as long as you take it step by step and take your time, check and recheck everything etc.

It is also incredibly satisfying loading your own and producing something that is far more consistant than factory loads and then using that in the field.

What sort of bullet and weight are you thinking of using?

I currently load 75gr Vmax over H414 powder with Federal Brass and primer for a vermin/fox round and a 95gr SST for roe.

I am shooting Hornady 58 grain VMax a fantastic Fox load at 3750 FPS, we have real problems getting rounds, here in the swamp.... so a friend has suggested we get the kit between us (both on 243) the stores never seem to get the same loads in from month to month and I want to zero and remain on a trusted load.... which points towards a home load and re used brass which gives the same performance as my fav Hornady load

I need a shopping list for info and kit....

A basic shopping list would be:

Press, you can spend a few quid on a hand press of a few hundred on somehting a bit more fancy. main makes to look at are Lee, RCBS, Redding, etc. I have a Lee Challenger

Dies, again a range of makes and also types, neck sizing or full length dies. RCBS dies will fit a Lee press and vise versa. I use RCBS full length dies.

Scales, either balance beam of electronic though I use a combination of both so I can cross check each. I use a RCBS 5-0-5 scale and find extremely accurate.

Powder thrower, I guess you can get away without one if only loading very low volumes but for not a lot of money they make things quicker, I use a basic Lee one that is OK

Priming tool, some presses have these built in or you can use a standalone tool, in my case a Lee Auto Prime, never had a problem with it though some seem to not like them

Case length guage and deburring tool

OAL Gauge

Shell holders

Powder Funnel

Powder Trickler

Primer Pocket cleaning tool

Case cleaner, I use an ultrasonic bath

A decent Micrometer

Lube Pad

MTN Reloading trays

I think that should get you going, infact you probably get away with not all of that.

For an idea on the tyes of kit have a look here:

http://s209976218.websitehome.co.uk/RS_Cat...2001_07A_A4.pdf

HTH

Jerry

Edited by sandersj89

If your going to share the equipment it's best to full length size, and seat to sammi spec, like factory ammo, find a powder weight which works well enough for everyone sharing the equipment and stick to it, buy two presses, one set up to take the sizer die and the other with the seating die, that way there can be no mistakes with seating depth and over pressure problems, two or 3 of you could spend an afternoon doing each operation on mass :good:

you could come in on the kit as the 3rd man and share the set up cost and fruits?

I've told you before, 1) no time for faffing about with stuff like that and 2) nothing wrong with a bog standard working tool with factory ammo, still groups better than many high end tools with fancy loads as any modern rifle should...it's the man not the gun! :good:

I'm no target shooter just need a quick clean kill, if I miss I miss, if I hit it's dead that'll do me!

But you're still welcome to my old brass (and I don't mean Mrs H :rolleyes: )

Edited by Highlander

Unless you shoot loads or are looking for a new hobbby in it's own right - no, it isn't worth it.

In my experiance, instead of trying to get hold of cartridges (one item) you will face similar problems from time to time getting hold of some of the vital componets for reloading - but you will get the same BS excuses for shortages - war on terror/ those pesky Chinese/price of fish etc etc.

Just talk someone into getting your maximum allowance of factory loads in, buy them, and just go shooting :good:

Sp agreed...I got pavman 60 (or was it 40, senior moment) last month and I bet he won't shoot that many this year! He's just into playing at being an engineer :good:

can you guys read???

What did pavman say about having problems getting rounds :blink: he said its a problem hence looking at poss reloading

Quote in post one... Having problems getting rounds as my local shops say they are all on backorder etc,,, this happens a lot!

I have just phoned 3 local shops they all say they are on back order :good: I trust I have made myself clear on my reason and intent or do we need a fuller explanation for the slow boys in the class :rolleyes:

Edited by pavman

do you ever travel out of suffolk as last time I was in my local one he had a heap of them. The main point though is if you buy your max allocation at once it then lets you shoot for ages before having to put an order in. Its a faff unless you want a new different hobby.

So you think each time you run low/out of powder, bullets, primers they will say "yes we have bucket loads in stock when would you like to pick them all up"?

Have you called the importer of the rounds you want and asked them to have some shipped to your RFD? or tried using something else, A Max's for instance?

A months money says you will never get into realoding, it is just frustration, just sleep on it you will be fine in the morning.

Mungler went through all this on here a while back, and was talked out of it in about half an hour :good:

do you ever travel out of suffolk as last time I was in my local one he had a heap of them. The main point though is if you buy your max allocation at once it then lets you shoot for ages before having to put an order in. Its a faff unless you want a new different hobby.

I can hold 150, the best Foxing round I have is the Hornady 58 grain its a beaut... its great to get all the same batch and zero to that... I can buy 100 at a time but have not been able to get that amount, if I had 150 it would last ages.... but I cant :good:

what are the options :rolleyes: :blink: :good:

IMO...

First thing you need to do is up your allowances, yours are low and would be useless for reloading anyway.

Ask for hold 300 buy 200.

Then find the importer, or as far up the chain as you can go and get the truth of the supply problem matter.

Ask them who they shipped what to, and when in your area, and then get onto them.

Or ask fellow PW members near'ish to you, if their RFD's have stock, and get int he car.

If you are buying a years worth a bit of drive shouldn't be an issue.

can you guys read???

What did pavman say about having problems getting rounds :good: he said its a problem hence looking at poss reloading

Quote in post one... Having problems getting rounds as my local shops say they are all on backorder etc,,, this happens a lot!

I have just phoned 3 local shops they all say they are on back order :good: I trust I have made myself clear on my reason and intent or do we need a fuller explanation for the slow boys in the class :blink:

Ooooh dummy out of pram time...must be having a bad day in the oroffice! :good:

Chill man you won't shoot more than you already hold this year so where's the problem? If you need more ask and I'll get some in for you :yay: There there better now are we? :rolleyes:

I can hold 150, the best Foxing round I have is the Hornady 58 grain its a beaut... its great to get all the same batch and zero to that... I can buy 100 at a time but have not been able to get that amount, if I had 150 it would last ages.... but I cant :good:

what are the options :rolleyes: :blink: :good:

simples order them in, if your local gunshop won't I've got one that will and for a years worth it would be a lot easier to drive and collect than spend hours reloading and buying all the gear. Ok its another hobby just depends if you've the time and inclination to faff round with it. Lets face it if you were to save 50% on the cost of the rounds its not going to be that beneficial financially.

Personally I'm yet to find that much different between batches in field situations, unless you want to make pretty daisy patterns on paper your average fox won't know much different and lets face it most are well under 200 yards which can be a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. I tend to buy similar numbers to you few to zero usually under 10 and the other 90 will last me ages.

simples order them in, if your local gunshop won't I've got one that will and for a years worth it would be a lot easier to drive and collect than spend hours reloading and buying all the gear. Ok its another hobby just depends if you've the time and inclination to faff round with it. Lets face it if you were to save 50% on the cost of the rounds its not going to be that beneficial financially.

Personally I'm yet to find that much different between batches in field situations, unless you want to make pretty daisy patterns on paper your average fox won't know much different and lets face it most are well under 200 yards which can be a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. I tend to buy similar numbers to you few to zero usually under 10 and the other 90 will last me ages.

Guys

Latest reply from gunshop........ its the war mate cant get rounds all going to America whats on the shelf is it for now, nowt coming in the near future :good:

Do I believe him... i dont know.... but he has none and it seems to be a common thing just now cause not do the other local shops...

I have just spoken with Trulock and Harris and they say they have a 2 month back order for all sporting Federal rounds (not being made due to war orders) and have no Hornady Fox rounds and Highlander got the last Norma Fox rounds

what do we think :rolleyes:

Guys

Latest reply from gunshop........ its the war mate cant get rounds all going to America whats on the shelf is it for now, nowt coming in the near future :good:

Do I believe him... i dont know.... but he has none and it seems to be a common thing just now cause not do the other local shops...

I have just spoken with Trulock and Harris and they say they have a 2 month back order for all sporting Federal rounds (not being made due to war orders) and have no Hornady Fox rounds and Highlander got the last Norma Fox rounds

what do we think :rolleyes:

Buy a cheap lee turret press, I know who has the gear with plus plenty of factory federal, norma, remington -in 30 mile of you and a pm is on the way.