Ratting, What Bait???

Rabbitraider

Hey every1 im new to the forum but have been looking at it for some time as i am gd mates with Dungannick and have been out with LB a few times.

But back to the point......

As the ratting season is starting to come back into play i thought it mite be worth asking around to find out wat is the best grub to attract the stupid creatures? I have been told a number if different things such as nuts, choc, and peanut butter to name a few.

Any suggestions????? ;)

Either try cat food (tinned) and smear it around the ground near a rat trail,

find the trails by looking for droppings or where they are seen most.

Another great option which isn't as messy is this carp angling super bait which you're meant to drip onto bait but put onto the ground and it will seep through cracks in concrete or soil. This also doesn't reak to us! but put a good concentrated spot near a rat trail, this will draw them in but be quick as when thye find no food they will wander off so it'll give you a few seconds to get 'em while they sniff the air around it.

Good luck rabbitraider,

MH

Make sure that whatever you use cannot be carried off quickly. Otherwise you will end with no bait and no rats!!!

I have heard that a chicken carcass works wonders.

I'll be watching this thread with intrest as I am looking to expand into this territory at some stage soon!!

The common theme when reading ratting advice is to make the bait stationary, and not easily removed (either in whole or in bits).

Liquidised catfood is a oft-cited option, but I remember reading that (if you don't want catfood in your blender) freezing the bait whole has a similar effect. The rats can't bite bits off and instead treat it like a big catfood ice-lolly...

If you tease it our of the can like corned beef (in fact corned beef might work!) and freeze it you might have a winner, especially if you invest in a wine cooler sleeve thing to put round it on the way to the rats.

Yum.

LS.

cheep tin of luncheon meat pegged down or peanut butter, bait for a few days go back on the second or third night after dark turn your lamp down low and knock the **** out of them. if you have got hens no need to bait they will be under the feeders waiting for you. best of luck with them rats

a lad we shoot with when we go ratting (bare in mind this is pest control not sport) uses a large landing net to catch them, and then shoots them in the net, the stick is used to hit the rats off the pipes so they can be shot etc, or to hit rats which make a run for you.

i preffer shooting them with a lamp, but this is on a farm with the house only yards away from the milking parla, so the rats must go, and this unsporting technique is a very effective one.

The wife cooking :lol:

Smelly fish with a peg through the head and the guts out

Ps Qoute: "what is the best grub to attract the stupid creatures? "

Let me put you straight there M8. For 15yrs of more rats were my daily hunt. I have hunter rats so much I started to get called names.

They are not stupid in anyway. This is why I enjoyed hunting them so much. I won't bore you to death but i could tell you stories all day about them being smart.

Think about, the rats aren't on here trying to find out how to outwit humans?? :sly: :o

If you have a natural river near by, with no voles in it, which you guys will have, a good jack russel terrier, walk the bank and the dog will flush them into the water.

They will dive and try all types to put you off but when the head come up you get a 1" target to take quickly. One hour b4 dark is best. Watch out for the farmer's bull; thats another story :thumbs: