Ferreting advice please

Remington 1100

Hello all

Been out the last two Sundays with my friend and his two Jill's and not had much luck.

He has no experience at all and i used to go when i was 13.

His Jill's aren't bolting OR pegging any rabbits we worked 5 or 6 warrens and only got 2.

How long do you leave your ferrets down for before moving on ?

We worked in a wood recently and bolted 1 rabbit (the only one of the day) filled the holes then moved on, we went back a week later and 5 of the holes had been opened.

Any tips would be much appreciated

thanks

James

Edited by Remington 1100

hiya mate i leave my ferret down for ages wen she comes out leave her then she will find her own sense and follow them but wen she comes out nd dosent do much i no that thats it are you and ur mate standing back enuff and not smoking or anything around the holes ?? if ya both being perfectly still and not talking you should do ok i cant see it be the ferret tbh good luck mate

how big are the warrens?

if you think about it, warrens can be very large underground, so sometimes the rabbits will just give the ferts the run around underground, they aint stupid, they probably know theres more danger topside,

we always leave ferts down for a good half hour, if they come up, re enter them at a different hole, if after all this, we havent heard any thumping or squeals, then remove jills and enter the hobs, quite a few times the hobs have given us rabbits from a warren we thought was empty, also remember, rabbits can have young at this time of year, making them harder to bolt

I tend to locate the ferts with the mk3, marking any areas that they stay still at for longer than a few minutes, just push a stick in the ground, even when the ferts surface, Ill dig down on marked spots, normally pull dead rabbits out

Potentially silly question, but how do you know the burys are occupied?

FM :good:

visual signs outside would be your first indication

sometimes as you walk towards them, your see bunnies dissapearing down

fresh scrapings, outside entrance holes

fresh droppings outside holes

if you have a dog, they will normally mark if they are any good

but saying all that, Ive done warrens with all the signs above to catch nothing, move onto warren holes filled with leaves and bolted 4 or 5 rabbits

As FM was hinting at, its probable there were not many rabbits at home.

When you are ferreting non exclusive ground, it can get a bit over hunted by February/March, especially the easier warrens.

If the rabbits are in, the ferrets will usually bolt them, or come out with fur on their claws and sometimes blood on their faces.

Not many ferrets leave rabbits below ground without having a try at them.

Don't write-off the ferrets (or your friend) just yet, I would suggest you look around for some new permission.

Try entering 2 ferrets to the set if the set is got a few holes in it. I personaly start my ferrets at the highest point of the set and work my way down hill i just feel comfortable doing thas as i have always done it this way ,i just think that if a rabbit is going to bolt it will head for the emergency exit lol (bolt hole).silly in a way but i do get my numbers. :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by hutchie the white hunter

but saying all that, Ive done warrens with all the signs above to catch nothing, move onto warren holes filled with leaves and bolted 4 or 5 rabbits

I was referring to the OP as I couldn't pick up in his post if the burys he was working were definitely occupied.

I know about reading all the signs, and also know that some days that can mean naff all. :hmm:

FM :hmm:

Had that scenario a few times, where there is fresh droppings and scrappings around the set but nothing down at all