Pull!

Snoogins

Fantastic, where would you all consider the best place to try the most guns? It's actually quite a nice day today here, I really feel I should not be in an office! Also, my McWet gloves came through- They seem a great product.

Leon

Try and find a local sunday morning clay shoot and go along and introduce yourself. See if you can tag along with a squad and ask politely if you can try out a few guns.

That way you will get to use different length barrels and a variety of makes. All of them will feel slightly different and at least that will give you some idea of what you want.

Also your budget plays a big part in your choice, if it is unlimited then great go for it and buy what you like. However if it is only a few hundred quid your choices will be somewhat limited.

Up to about a grand will set you up with a gun for life.

My 2p.

I started with an old 1984 multichoke Beretta Silver pigeon with 28" barrels. I wasn't sure how "into" shooting I was going to get and so got a budget 'good' gun. The bluing was scratched and one of the ejectors had a habit of sticking a little bit. I think it cost me £500 ish from Leech & Sons and when I sold it, I got the same money back. A good second hand Beretta is good for that; if you buy it for the right money you will sell it for the same money.

Anyways, I stuck a gazzillion shells through it and the addiction became clear. I started to look for other guns and by this time was well into clay shooting.

I had picked up and used friends Brownings and Winchesters and hated them. Too heavy and clumbsy and just not for me.

After canvassing opinions on here I bought an F3 - I picked up all the F3s in the shop (Essex Gun had had a delivery that morning of about a dozen or so) and had a go on some of the top end aspirational guns - K80, Perazzis. One particular F3 just clicked with me - weight, balance, feel in the shoulder etc. None of the other guns did it for me and so the choice was clear.

Somewhere in the middle I bought a 682GoldE and had it for a weekend - it just kept smacking me in the face, and there were a few other guns that just weren't right or nice.

The only other gun that I have picked up and liked the weight, feel and balance of was PDLM's Caeser Guerini - he's a tall ****** and so he's had it all monkeyed with and extended, but it seemed like a good clay gun. They also have a keen price and second hand they are a bit of a bargain. If I were you I would have a go on one of those.

EDIT:

As MC says - get out with a group of shooters and have a go on their guns. No one will say no, because everyone individually will try and convince you that they in their careful wisdom managed to find the best gun ever (as above) :rolleyes:

Edited by Mungler

Snoogins (welcome to the forum!)

I side with the try (as many as you can) before you buy brigade, and you decide what's best for you. Many shooters will prefer one make over another, usually for a very good reason, but that does not mean that gun will suit you.

On shops - I understand that Ian Coley in Cheltenham is setting his shop up at his clay shooting ground sometime soon. Might be worth a call? He usually has a nice collection of the usual suspects and seems to know what he's on about.

Also, I agree that fitting is important but only once you can mount the gun consistently and you think the difference will be worth it? You might find you are hitting 40+ out of the box?

My advise would be to get yourself kitted out with a decent clay buster and just go out and enjoy your shooting. Then if/when you get more serious about the sport, get the gun fitted etc. There's a good chance that you will change your first gun in anycase. Not everyone does, but a fair few seem to IMO.

Good luck!

Edited by FinFerNan

Fantastic, where would you all consider the best place to try the most guns? It's actually quite a nice day today here, I really feel I should not be in an office!

It's a very nice day out, thought I would go shoot clays at Bisley but I am bogged down in paperwork that is already late... :rolleyes:

Honestly, do go look at The Oxford Gun co.

It's a very nice day out, thought I would go shoot clays at Bisley but I am bogged down in paperwork that is already late... :rolleyes:

Honestly, do go look at The Oxford Gun co.

If you want to pay absolute top dollar for a gun, then buy at Oxford Gun Co, my advice would be to decide what gun you're going for, then shop around, there are a number of dealers out there who will be able to supply an identical gun for a cheaper price.

Cat.

I paid pretty much average for the B525 I got. At the time it listed around £2250 and I paid £1750, which was close enough to the other retailers at the time. Also, the reason I went there was the had the SV10 in stock when a lot of others were out, and the price was again competitive.

In terms of shooting clubs it's always worth asking how they accommodate single guns, many pretty much cater for squads and can seem a bit bewildering at first. There are lots of sporting clubs that are very friendly and many have attachments to shooting schools and gun shops. PM me for more info on some in the South West and South Central areas.

It's a bit of a trek but Southern Counties near Yeovil is very good, and they have a very good stock of used guns that they will happily let you shoot with as long as you take your license with you, especially if they can see the colour of your money. Mendip Clay Ground apparently does the same but I haven't been there.

I'm currently shooting with a Beretta Teknys Stonecoat Gold (my current favorite, apart from the annoying plasticky loading button arm on the side), a Beretta Silver Pig and a Monza bespoke O/U, as well as regularly busting with a Remmy 1100 crowd-pleaser. As you can see, a mixture of semis and O/Us, each with their own characteristics.

Take your time and you'll be fine.

Edited by Thunderbird

Thanks- Was going to go with a buddy tomorrow but he can't make it. I was going to head to Churchills again but as they 'got the price wrong' they now require around £140 per 1 hour lesson. May need to rethink things!

I don't have a SGC yet, I want to make sure that this is for me before I go applying!

Edited by Snoogins

Thanks.

Churchills is about £145 with C&C's, Bisley is cheaper but a good hour and a half away (might be worth it).

I want to get a few more lessons under my belt before I get my own gun- the last instructor said a couple more would do it- The annoying thing is that I have to work today and the weather looks bloody amazing, hopefully it will pay off in the end...Out of my frustration I've bought some Peltor SportTacs which were going for a decent price, not part of my wait and see before I spend any money plan..

Leon

Edited by Snoogins

Hi i bought my 1st shotgun from oxford gun co & found them very helpfull ,the bloke made sure it fitted me & took me out & shot a few clays to see how i got on with .There was no rush & no pressure so i'd reccomend them ,they allso had a good selection.cheers marcus