This morning with fern and philip

Millomite

Yes they want the law to treat airguns as firearms and with exactly the same Licencing systems

At the moment the only thing stoping it is Westminster if that fag mp and his cronys manage to twist there arm then the bill will get pased. for now it seems westmister are against it, But i can only speculate as to how long this will last

One thing is certain that the mps continued attempts to perswade them are unlikly to stop an he seems to be gaining support.

I here your points Mimic, but I truly feel that nothing is really going to help other than assignment to FAC. I know its harsh, but then if people arent prepared to follow this, they arent really that serious about thier shooting.

Making the rifles FAC will also go someway to make people with attic guns surrender them or apply.

I know there are many other weapons on sale without such requirements such as crossbows, but how far is the law gonna go. A car can be just as lethal, a Hammer, an axe (huh, thats me :D no not me im a gentle giant.).

The fact of the matter is that the attention is on airguns at the moment. So somethign is gonna have to be done about it. good or bad, to our liking or not. And when this has been done and the balance of crime moves to other objects such as the crossbows, then the archers will have to tread the very same path we are on at the moment.

I never said it was fair and just, its just the way things are, at least in my opinion, anyway.

Regards,

Axe.

well it might not be a bad idea to start setting some money aside for a FAC cabnit.

If the bill gets passed we will all be needing one and the spare money for licence applications.

It would also be a good idea if your not already a member of a club Join one now

And if you are able to try and get yourself a shoot with written permision for pest control

I think this is as much we can do to prepare

Edited by mimic

I think thats why its all got out of hand. You are suggesting that people who dont have a plausable reason to own an airgun find a reason, by way of written pest control permission or joining a club. I have to be honest and no disrepect is intended, but people who arent in a club or have written permsion to use a rifle, have no cause to own one anyway.

Its this that the bill is trying to outlaw. I have to be honest, until last year, my Meteor had sat in the cupboard for over 15 years and I was certainly not performing any pest control or target shooting. If the bill had been passed I would have surrendered it reluctantly, as I had no real cause to keep it.

Now however, is completely different as I actively take part in pest control and conservation and am also applying for FAC.

Regards,

Axe.

I think thats why its all got out of hand. You are suggesting that people who dont have a plausable reason to own an airgun find a reason, by way of written pest control permission or joining a club. I have to be honest and no disrepect is intended, but people who arent in a club or have written permsion to use a rifle, have no cause to own one anyway.

Its this that the bill is trying to outlaw. I have to be honest, until last year, my Meteor had sat in the cupboard for over 15 years and I was certainly not performing any pest control or target shooting. If the bill had been passed I would have surrendered it reluctantly, as I had no real cause to keep it.

Now however, is completely different as I actively take part in pest control and conservation and am also applying for FAC.

Regards,

Axe.

well what it will mean is the police can take away an airgun as a firearm if it isnt registered, so it seperates responcible owners from non. they can just check the serial on the gun it should be registered to you, if it isnt then you just comited a section 5

What i was meaning about was for plinking as it will not be an accepted reason. But one that many people take part in safely perhaps i have put that in the wrong context. I dont mean for people who dont shoot to bother with all of this just to keep their gun im just thinking from a co2 gunners point of view. They will have a hard time with pestcontrol on those powers , and for range club shooting they dont make the 25 yard avarage but there is no other way your going to be able to provide a reason to keep it...

Edited by mimic

They are all lethal.

Sure.

As are cricket bats, baseball bats, golf clubs, kitchen knives, bricks - well you get the idea.

Should everything that could kill someone be sold by an RFD? Should we go one better and have everything sold only through State owned shops comrades?

You too have a fair point lurch!

The way I look at it is this.........

If we pay a bit of "lip service" to the government then we will hopefully be left alone whilst they move onto the next evil to society. Not ideal but better than losing it altogether. I do not have all, or indeed any answers so I just want to get on with what I enjoy.

They are all lethal.

Sure.

As are cricket bats, baseball bats, golf clubs, kitchen knives, bricks - well you get the idea.

Should everything that could kill someone be sold by an RFD? Should we go one better and have everything sold only through State owned shops comrades?

The trouble is that rifles, pistols, crossbows, etc are designed for one purpose, killing things. Its a fact that is all too well known in the public domain. Weapons are weapons, cars are cars, cricket bats barely score high numbers :D So the only real way to control it, is to licence and enforce the damn law to its fullest potential. Then and only then are we going to get some peace and quiet.

All weapons should be licenced not just 12ft/lb airguns but crossbows etc as well. I know there are people amongst us who think this goes against our civil liberty but its the only way we'll get anywhere. This is something that I have believed for some time, regardless of my position within our sport.

Regards,

Axe.

They are all lethal.

Sure.

The trouble is that rifles, pistols, crossbows, etc are designed for one purpose, killing things. Its a fact that is all too well known in the public domain. Weapons are weapons, cars are cars, cricket bats barely score high numbers :lol: So the only real way to control it, is to licence and enforce the damn law to its fullest potential. Then and only then are we going to get some peace and quiet.

All weapons should be licenced not just 12ft/lb airguns but crossbows etc as well. I know there are people amongst us who think this goes against our civil liberty but its the only way we'll get anywhere. This is something that I have believed for some time, regardless of my position within our sport.

Regards,

Axe.

Right on dude........ :D

Ahhh **** :<

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4338010.stm

Hope you get your guns in time!

"It is not enough to simply restrict the sale of airguns - we also need to impose strict conditions on who can acquire airguns and where they can be used."

Sounds to me like we could be looking in as little as week.

Edited by mimic

So they are proposing that all airgun sales are through "registered dealers", ie Gunshops.

Therefore making all sales "face to face".

What difference does that make ?

Airgun users are not licenced (I'm not proposing they should be), so the "registered dealers" can't assume they have passed some Police check, or whatever.

So anybody over the minimum age limit, can walk into a Gunshop and buy an airgun.

What are they trying to achieve ?

A typical knee jerk reaction that will achieve nothing, except earn the Local Authorities a few £150's and inconvenience airgun users.

The trouble is that rifles, pistols, crossbows, etc are designed for one purpose, killing things. Its a fact that is all too well known in the public domain. Weapons are weapons, cars are cars, cricket bats barely score high numbers :) So the only real way to control it, is to licence and enforce the damn law to its fullest potential. Then and only then are we going to get some peace and quiet.

Regards,

Axe.

Airguns may well be designed to put holes in things, but cars kill far more people than airguns. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was also true of criket bats.

Licensing will not stop idots or criminals any more than FAC's stop gang shootings or robberies. It will however be another nail in the coffin of shooting sports in the UK as more people are deterred from enjoying their sport by increasing legislation.

Gun grabbers will not stop at this 'reasonable step'. Like the Terminator a gun grabber absolutely will not stop until they have banned every thing that looks like a gun or sounds like a gun.

Appeasement does not and never will work.

I agree Lurch, with your principal in that it will never stop the criminal element getting thier hands weapons. However, I do feel that licensing will help to make it harder for them and also prevent the less safety concious getting thier hands on them too. If licensing is introduced then alot of the incidents that have happened recently would not have happened at all. But this is just my opinion.

I think the one thing that we might agree on and really what I feel to be the main objective for the government, is that of law enforcment. If the current law were to be used to its fullest, i'm sure alot of the incidents would not even be thought of. If they want to be seen to act then they(Government) should ensure the law is used correctly and not just slap peoples wrists!

Regards,

Axe.