Crows

Whitebridges

We are plagued with the things at the moment and they need sorting out. Recently some of the land around our shoot isn't keepered and the numbers are going up in the area. I have had limited experience shooting crows and have always used my normal pigeon load Hull 32g 6's and although i've found these excellent on pigeon they don't seem to kill crows as well. The shots i'm getting are quite far out as i'm shooting under a flightline. I haven't tried decoying yet as the fields are all ploughed. Over the last few weeks i've tried a few different brands of cartridges and I have to say Eley Alphmax 4's are the answer! This seems a bit excessive but they do the business. I've been looking at the loads they use in the US of A and they seem to like 8's and even 9's. I haven't tried these yet, and wondered what advice other members of this forum could provide. Are American crows smaller and differnt from our UK crow?

Apologies if this has been posted before, I've had a search through previous posts and could find much on the subject. If there is anything I would be grateful for a link.Thanks.

The USA newsgroup post is at:

http://www.crowbusters.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=751

Whitebridges For my part if you are planning to go shooting crows and at some range anything less that #6 is out.

I shoot mainly crows. In my ammo bag you will fine #6, #5, #4. My main shell being #5. I use the other if I feel I need to adjust.

To be honest, I only use #6 & #4s because I have them. If I was going out today to buy 200 shell it would be #5. I use a 30" gun and over the summer was shooting over decoys with skeet and full cylinder chokes in. I took birds well out with these.

Look at you choking. If you have very tight choking (full-3/4) you may want to use #5 - #6. More open #4 - #5s. The wider choke will give you a nice spread without loosing a lot of power.

As I have said lots of times on this forum, most of it is in you head. get a balance and stick with it. I haven't changed my chokes since abut April and I have been shooting clays and field with the same gun.

Just my thoughts, works for me, has proven not to be good for the crows; serious lead poisioning :rolleyes:

Big Dog, thanks for sharing your experience much appreciated. I called in the local gunsmith and told 'em about the problem took their advice an bought a 100 gamebore pigeon specials (36g) in 5 shot to try. I agree with your sentiments about shooting being in the head, but I was missing too many. On the day the suckers were a long way off. Hopefully now the wind has dropped I might get a few closer shots. I'll try and get hold of a few dead rabbits to get them going. Out of interest what 5 shot cartridge do you use on crows?

Edited by Whitebridges

I wouldn`t say crows were `tough` at all. They are very light in the body and come down dead if you hit `em!! I always use 6 shot and have been using Eley HB Pigeon 6.5 shot and it pulverises `em.

Many of my crows are on a flighline between roosts and a land fill site, but I get them a bit lower by using crow deeks or dead crows. They are suckers for pigeon decoys and even `caw` to let you know they`re coming in. I find that crow decoying is a leisurely affair, when compared to shooting pigeons, and it`s easy to miss in front.

I wouldn`t say crows were `tough` at all. They are very light in the body and come down dead if you hit `em!! I always use 6 shot and have been using Eley HB Pigeon 6.5 shot and it pulverises `em.

Many of my crows are on a flighline between roosts and a land fill site, but I get them a bit lower by using crow deeks or dead crows. They are suckers for pigeon decoys and even `caw` to let you know they`re coming in. I find that crow decoying is a leisurely affair, when compared to shooting pigeons, and it`s easy to miss in front.

Invector, I might need to get a bit closer. My mate swears by Eley HB pigeon 6.5's - i'll try 'em whem my Hulls run out. Interesting point about missing in front. They tend to dawdle along and often just hang in the wind. I'll try aiming a bit straighter!

If you are decoying and they come straight in you only have to shoot `em in the face!! Crossing shots just tip `em on the beak and they come down like a sack of ****

The normal follow through method can be too fast so I use the pull away method. Put your barrels directly on the body pull in front and fire. It works for me.

Whitebridges - see what I mean, it all in the head :lol:

If you have confidence in some and it works for you, it works.

I agree with the comment on follow through. If you are used to quick follow through shots, hit the brakes a bit. They are coming in sloooooooooow. Pattern your gun on a large white type card, aim at a make on it and see what that tell you.

I used to be **** at hitting crows and hated it. I could take pigeons great distances out even when my 2 mates had finished shooting and missing, I would swing through into the next county and sure enough the bird would fold up.

Now I am much older and slower by design, it the other way round now :lol::lol:

Now I am bad on those quick birds but love em big slow shinny black B52 bomber.

I those days of missing cartridges made no difference, cursing didn't help am I even tried praying, all to no avail :D

Cartridge type - Sorry mate I am at work and I don't no the brand. I let you know in the next day of so. One I use is Green with lots of brass. The cap is set into a plastic surround too.

Hi Whitebridges, I've been doing a fair bit of crow shooting lately and I have found them to be very tough birds much more so than pigeons. I started shooting 30 and 32 gram 6s and found that close up these were fine but I hit loads that just didn't drop or flew on a long way before they came down. I changed to 32 gm 5s and found them to be spot on and knocked them down much better. I will say though that I find it difficult to hit the ******* and I prefer a tight choke usually half and full.

Regards

Ajax

Isn`t this super tough crow thing getting a bit silly? :lol:

There`s not a crow living that won`t come down stone dead with 30g of No.6 shot if it`s within range and in a good shot pattern!!

They certainly aren`t tougher than pigeons and giving them superhuman strength is no substitute for shooting straight and hitting them correctly. :D

Edit: Of course you could try an 8 bore stuffed to the gunwhales with BBs!!! :lol:

Edited by invector

I tend to agree with invector, I have never found crows harder to kill than pigeons, when they are in range.

As they usually fly much higher than pigeons, its possible that shooters are misjudging the range.

I have witnessed crows flying slowly and high over a field, being shot at, but as they were so high, they didn't even flinch.

Check out a dead crows body mass, its no different than a pigeons, only their beak is longer. :D

PS. It always surprises me how small magpies are, when you ignore their tail and wings. :lol:

i find crows to be softer that pigeon just they fly higher and slower with better eyesight, if pigeons had as keen eyesight as crows bag numbers would be drastically reduced! a magpie is no bigger than a blackbird! no. 6 shot 30grm to 32grm is quite suffice for the black stuff!

Edited by It's Rainin White Feathers

Crows spend much of their time quartering fields for food and have their eyes locked on the ground under them a lot of the time. Pigeons are often on their way to a distant field and and are probably focused well in front.

This is why the pigeon jinks suddenly when it catches sight of you but a crow will gently slide to one side before it gets into range. The crow has seen you well in advance but the pigeon is caught off guard, hence the flare. Both can be fooled as long as you are well hidden but, when they are in range, crows just seem to stand on their wings and flap backwards, or sideways, a lot slower than pigeons, which jink violently, and require quick reactions to connect. I find crow shooting a rather leisurely affair provided you don`t reveal yourself too early.

I`ve shot plenty of high crows that come down squawking and spinning, like a sycamore leaf, and they are almost always dead soon after hitting the ground, with hits in the head and beak. Obviously some do get away but I put that down to bad or indifferent shooting!!

Edit: Repetition!!

Edited by invector

Yea I would agree that a crow is not any tougher than a pigeon.

I have seen pigeons coming in head on very fast (not decoying) and been shot in the chest. The feather blown out of it, the bird falling stright down 10-15 feet and b4 hitting the ground getting control and flying off. I have never seen a crow take that beating and fly on.

If you have confidence in your shells, use them!! 5 or 6s as long as you bring them down. I think it must go back to man, gun and the fit between them. The cartridge and choke have a place too but getting the right fit between all of these is down to the indiviual and confidence in that fit.

Like I said in an earlier post somewhere, 30 yrs ago I hated Eley cartridges. As soon as the gun went to my shoulder I would feel that I only had about a 50% chance of making a kill. Guess how many kills I got with Eley?? :)

In those days Winchester was all I believed in. I still like Wc but use Eley at clays and over the summer I pulled out a carten of 250 Eley game cartridges (6) I have have for about 20 yrs and never used them. I had great results at the crows, with some 5s in there too.

The difference is I had a break from shooting for a view years and came back to it with all that rubbish out of my head.

Now I'm older, nothing to prove and less people shooting with me to see me on my bad day shooting, I put these days down to me not the equipment :*) :lol::lol:

• 1 year later...

if I'm shooting in the morning i use i/c choke with hb pigeon 6.5s as i find they come in lower. Evenings i use full choke and gamebore 5,s as the bird are normally higher. On one of my permissions the field where the crows are is full of horses so i use the hushpower .410 with standard eley fourlongs 6,s and that brings them down just aswell as the 12g with out causing the horses distress :lol: You just got to keep really still until the last moment otherwise there gone.