defender with issues

hendersons

probably should have explained my mechanical knowledge pretty much stops after knowing where to put diesel in so could some body please tell me what this bulk head thingy looks like. Will have a go at doing the most of the work myself though (with a little help from friends that know what a spanner is) as i'm very willing to learn and can't really afford to pay big mechanics bills

nick

at the end of the day grab a haynes manual, and be willing to get a grinder out on bolts (not drive train bolts)

apart from that it is not too bad really, just be carefull assembling the clutch, make sure you change the rlease arms and bearings, and put the new one's in the same as the old one's came out whilst checking manual,

apart from that good luck and parts bills add up rather quickly!

probably should have explained my mechanical knowledge pretty much stops after knowing where to put diesel in so could some body please tell me what this bulk head thingy looks like. Will have a go at doing the most of the work myself though (with a little help from friends that know what a spanner is) as i'm very willing to learn and can't really afford to pay big mechanics bills

nick

its the rear bulkhead, sort of a rear bumper..but its part of the chassis..these are prone to be a rusting nuisance in older defenders and will need replacing at some point, involves body strip, wel rear tub anyway and cutting the old off and welding the new in, do not attempt if your not a very competant welder...basically chassis rust are where your problems will lie...get under it with a torch n hammer n wack every part of the chassis you can to determine its strength..if thers a lot noticable with your eye then a new chassis may be in order..£1000-1500..its a biggie!!!

dont be put off though mate as you could sell every part of the vehicle on ebay and double your money no probs

good luck :angry:

its the rear bulkhead, sort of a rear bumper..but its part of the chassis..these are prone to be a rusting nuisance in older defenders and will need replacing at some point, involves body strip, wel rear tub anyway and cutting the old off and welding the new in, do not attempt if your not a very competant welder...basically chassis rust are where your problems will lie...get under it with a torch n hammer n wack every part of the chassis you can to determine its strength..if thers a lot noticable with your eye then a new chassis may be in order..£1000-1500..its a biggie!!!

dont be put off though mate as you could sell every part of the vehicle on ebay and double your money no probs

good luck :angry:

WHAT :lol:?:P?:P?:lol:?:lol:?:lol:?:yp:?????????????????????

Shout up if i am wrong

Bulkhead - That bit at the front with the windscreen .

Rear cross member - That bit at the back that is part of the chassis .

all the best yis yp ???

good luck :good:

My reply was beaten again

The part of the chassis refered to above is known as the rear cross member, the Bulkhead I refered to is the big piece of steel that the windscreen frame, front doors, dash, steering column, etc bolt to. Normaly they rot around the area of the top hinge and around the outboard side of the windscreen mount/ hinge (dependant on year) and especialy the footwells. Can be repaired (all repair pieces available) but if beyond repair they are no longer available unless you happen to find a dealer with one tucked away. 3 years ago you could get a genuine one brand new for £150, they are now fetching nearly twice that for a good second hand one and the last new one I saw was £750+vat (supply and demand I guess).

There is a good Defender section on Mud Club

Just remember regardless of age a Land Rover is a rolling restoration project which will let you down at the most in oportune moment (I've owned them for 20+ years)

Edited by pondy653

The bulkhead is the panel that separates the engine compartment from the cockpit, the bit around the windscreen tends to rot around the bottom corners and around the mirror mounts, the rear crossmember also likes to rust a bit. nothing to worry about if you know someone with a welder.

WHAT :good:?:oops:?:hmm:?:hmm:?????????????????????????????????

Shout up if i am wrong

Bulkhead - That bit at the front with the windscreen .

Rear cross member - That bit at the back that is part of the chassis .

all the best yis yp :good:

you'll have to forgive me on that one, i was noddin off as i was writin it lol :good:

For £200 you can't go worng.

I bought a 110 defender K reg for £300 with a broken transfer box, then ebayed it and walked away £800 up. Did nothing.

My current truck cost me £1800, spent about a £1K on it and now would ask £4K so if you get a shed, you can easily fix it up and not loss out. I ws not mechanical in any way before I became a Landy lover. it's just a giant mechano set and the haynes manuals is a bible.

So many 2nd hand parts and new is not too expensive.