defender with issues

hendersons

£200...if you dont want it gimme the guys number :lol:???;)

seriously mate thats dirt cheap, youll be pushed to find one 20years old cheaper than £2,000

just make sure its not a rust bucket or you mite be biting off more than you can chew :angry:

but for that price youl make money just breaking it :wacko:

Edited by tango

There are plenty of landrover breaker about .Getting a good defender box is a slim chance The best thing to do would be chuck a gearbox and transfer box out of a disco as these are ten a penny . Its the same lt77 gearbox but with ever so slightly higher ratios . It will make a slight difference to the vehicles performance and improve economy . Also the chances are the donor disco will have fallen apart with rust worm and not had a hard offroad life. Hope this helps you make a discision. As has already been said you could break it and sell the parts and make a profit.

Out of interest what engine is it . There is normally aspirated . Turbo diesel or TDi all of which are 2.5 L unless of coarse its petrol

There are plenty of landrover breaker about .Getting a good defender box is a slim chance The best thing to do would be chuck a gearbox and transfer box out of a disco as these are ten a penny . Its the same lt77 gearbox but with ever so slightly higher ratios . It will make a slight difference to the vehicles performance and improve economy . Also the chances are the donor disco will have fallen apart with rust worm and not had a hard offroad life. Hope this helps you make a discision. As has already been said you could break it and sell the parts and make a profit.

Out of interest what engine is it . There is normally aspirated . Turbo diesel or TDi all of which are 2.5 L unless of coarse its petrol

defenders only came with tdi engines from 1990 previous to that they were called the ninety with 2.5td or 2.5petrol also to fit a disco box you either have to move the engine mounts or change the bellhousing on the gearbox ...hope this is of help to you :angry:

The farmer whos land I shoot has just offered me a defender for £200 but reverse does not work. Does anybody know if this is a common or easily fixed problem and is it worth a punt for the money. He says it is in decent condition apart from that and I will only be using it for shooting.

nick

Rediculously cheap for a Defender snap it up - even if it was a Series it would still be worth the money,

me being curious but what year are we talking about ? as pretty well everyman and his dog who is not

Landy savvy believes owt that isn't a Disco or a Rangy (god helpus or a Freeloader) has to be a defender.

There's no decision to make, TAKE IT !!!!, Land Rover parts are nice and cheap and easily available, 200 quid it's for nothing, as said worst case drop a disco engine into it and you're away.

i know a lad that puts disco engines into older 90s bought cheap can turn them into a £2000 truck overnight

Rediculously cheap for a Defender snap it up - even if it was a Series it would still be worth the money,

me being curious but what year are we talking about ? as pretty well everyman and his dog who is not

Landy savvy believes owt that isn't a Disco or a Rangy (god helpus or a Freeloader) has to be a defender.

fairly certain it will be a defender think he has had a few over the years will be able to say for definate on sunday evening. I will try and take a few pictures and put them up on here so you can all let me know what you think.

nick

defenders only came with tdi engines from 1990 previous to that they were called the ninety with 2.5td or 2.5petrol also to fit a disco box you either have to move the engine mounts or change the bellhousing on the gearbox ...hope this is of help to you :angry:

And shorter input shaft surely?

unless it's a r380 which i think are the same ???

A Disco box has the gear leaver further back which means it will come somewhere near the front edge of the seat box and will be a pig to make look half decent. As has been said so long as the chassis and the bulkhead are reasonable then I would have the g/box repaired. It will be a simple fix, most likely the reverse gear idler, the weak link often smashed by towing stuck vehicles out using the front recovery points or more likely in this case bump/ tow started in reverse. Drop the box out the bottom, fit a new 3 piece clutch kit and a clutch fork while you're in there. Worst case fit a recon from Ashcroft Transmissions plus a cross drilled input gear. There boxes are properly reconditioned, not just fixed.

Hope this helps

Tony