general builder wanted - essex area

chandelierman

ok to cut a long story short,i am in the process of buying a workshop,had a builder lined up but looks like he has been offered a permanent job in Wales

So i am now making alternative plans "just in case" he definately can't do it.

I am estimating a min of 4 weeks work for 1 person.

I need a general builder that can do a bit of block / brick work/plumbing / concreting/roofing

The main work i want doing is:

2 windows need bricking up / possibly 2 doors aswell ( london stocks )

Maybe skim the floor with 3" of concrete ( roughly 29ft x 13ft )

It has a wooden shed built on to it with a thick concrete floor,i want it bricked up inside with breeze blocks and a new roof ( just ply and felt ) approx 29ft x 8ft

There is an outside toilet approx 6ft x 6ft,the toilet needs replacing with a low level unit and a new roof ( again just ply and felt )

I am hoping to exchange contracts within the next 2 weeks with a view of completing mid - end april,some of the work can be done as soon as i exchange ie: the toilet and the work on the wooden lean to.

I will supply all of the materials.

Leave a message here if you want to join in and take the #### or PM me if you are interested in doing the work :good:

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No offence meant at all by this but for £100 a day watch what you are getting.For that amount by me they'd be turning up on horse back

Any decent tradesman is going to asking in the region of £150+ a day.Also get references off of people if you want an all rounder as alot of people think they can do alot of other trades but they really can't and bodged jobs cost double to put right.

Fortunately the building trade is being hit hard at the minute so you might get someone desperate enough to work for that but i know i would'nt it does'nt even cover my tools.

You might be best looking for a semi retired builder who does'nt really need the money but just likes to keep working.

Anyway i wish you all the best in finding someone

Russ

No offence meant at all by this but for £100 a day watch what you are getting.For that amount by me they'd be turning up on horse back

Any decent tradesman is going to asking in the region of £150+ a day.Also get references off of people if you want an all rounder as alot of people think they can do alot of other trades but they really can't and bodged jobs cost double to put right.

Fortunately the building trade is being hit hard at the minute so you might get someone desperate enough to work for that but i know i would'nt it does'nt even cover my tools.

You might be best looking for a semi retired builder who does'nt really need the money but just likes to keep working.

Anyway i wish you all the best in finding someone

Russ

I thought £500 cash in hand for a weeks work was a good offer :good:

I don't mind paying more BUT if i do it will be via my company cheque book for which i will need a receipt to submit to my accountant :yes:

And as i say,i have estimated 4 weeks to complete the work,so if someone wants to do it on a price for £2000 and knock it out quicker then i'm up for that.

The guy that was going to do it is a friend of mine and he wanted £80 a day but i said i'd give him £100,he said the job in wales is £90 a day with a flat thrown in for £70 a week.

I will know tomorrow if he is taking the job or not.

If i don't find anyone then i have another friend who can do it but it will be just 1/2 day here and there,or if all else fails i will make a steel frame inside and line it with 2mm steel sheet :good:

i'm not saying you wont find anyone to do it for that money,but be careful of the ones who will.there's a hell of alot of cowboys out there and even more know it all DIY'ers.

like i said if you can find someone semi retired that might be your best bet

i'm not saying you wont find anyone to do it for that money,but be careful of the ones who will.there's a hell of alot of cowboys out there and even more know it all DIY'ers.

like i said if you can find someone semi retired that might be your best bet

Dont worry pegleg31 i am with you on this as obviously the other people haven't needed to buy quality tools. Every year i probably set aside atleast £1000 just for tools and you dont have many office workers that need to supply there own computers

I thought £500 cash in hand for a weeks work was a good offer :good:

I don't mind paying more BUT if i do it will be via my company cheque book for which i will need a receipt to submit to my accountant :yes:

And as i say,i have estimated 4 weeks to complete the work,so if someone wants to do it on a price for £2000 and knock it out quicker then i'm up for that.

The guy that was going to do it is a friend of mine and he wanted £80 a day but i said i'd give him £100,he said the job in wales is £90 a day with a flat thrown in for £70 a week.

I will know tomorrow if he is taking the job or not.

If i don't find anyone then i have another friend who can do it but it will be just 1/2 day here and there,or if all else fails i will make a steel frame inside and line it with 2mm steel sheet :good:

And did the guy keep saying seemples lol

the quote was he spends £500 a week on tools, fundamentally if anyone is looking for work during one of the worst recessions we've had in years then it is there.

Where did it say that?. Ah i have found it, but what he means is, he can't cover the cost of the tools and pay himself a decent wage

Edited by jasons gold

can i just clarify my first post

1.i don't spend £500 a week on tools what i meant was for the amount of tools i have to lug around i expect a better rate(any real tradesman will understand what i mean)

2.i did'nt say he would'nt get someone to do it for £500 a week.what i meant was for an all rounder be careful of who would be prepared to do it for that sort of money

3.times are hard and there will be genuine builders out there that would be grateful to snap your hand off for that sort of money i probably would too if i needed the work

thats a bit naughty pegleg theres a lot of good tradesmen out there struggling at the moment and will take what they can we personally we have been lucky and had plenty of work we had a plumber helping us out with a re roof hes been in buiness for many years with excelent reputation but needed the work you have to take whats on offer bills still need paying ( the cream has gone )

I have to say that as a time served carpenter and joiner unless I was desperate and hadn't worked for ages then there is no way I would work for £100 a day. It is not greed at all it is reality.

£100 a day is only £26K a year which is nothing for a highly skilled and qualified person. Also that is assuming they work 5 days a week continuously. There is always this stigma that builder are ripping you off and they earn to much money when in reality they earn less than most.

thats a bit naughty pegleg theres a lot of good tradesmen out there struggling at the moment and will take what they can we personally we have been lucky and had plenty of work we had a plumber helping us out with a re roof hes been in buiness for many years with excelent reputation but needed the work you have to take whats on offer bills still need paying ( the cream has gone )

read two posts above yours

all the best

russ :good:

And if tools are a problem,i can stretch to buying a new trowel to brick the windows up :good:

I also have a elu flipsaw a shovel and a broom :yes:

Yes because that is all a bricklayer ever uses is a trowel.

MOst decent tradesmen have spent years learning their chosen craft and deserve the right money. After all if it was that easy you would be doing it yourself.

I have to say that as a time served carpenter and joiner unless I was desperate and hadn't worked for ages then there is no way I would work for £100 a day. It is not greed at all it is reality.

£100 a day is only £26K a year which is nothing for a highly skilled and qualified person. Also that is assuming they work 5 days a week continuously. There is always this stigma that builder are ripping you off and they earn to much money when in reality they earn less than most.

If you worked it out to take home £100 CASH IN YOUR POCKET A DAY would be more like £33k before deductions.

read two posts above yours

all the best

russ :good:

i was still typing and did not see the two above my last post to slow on key board with my big fingers from years of graft old timeserved carpenter joiner cgli 1984

Yes because that is all a bricklayer ever uses is a trowel.

MOst decent tradesmen have spent years learning their chosen craft and deserve the right money. After all if it was that easy you would be doing it yourself.

They occasionally have a flask too.....

Im with MC on this...My Step-Father fits Bathrooms..i thought the money he Charged seemed very high to me...But then you consider he might not get work 1 week,And the fact that he's been doing 40+yrs and is dam good at it,..I think he does a good job at a good price......Think he ask's for £150/£175 a day...He does all the work tho..Tiling,fitting,plumbing and decorating..

Edited by smig4373