general builder wanted - essex area

chandelierman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant see why the initial post has got such negative replies.

Those who aren't interested simply need not reply. Personally the minimum I can work for in my business is £120pd, this covers overheads etc with enough to live on. £150pd allows a profit margin and money to be put back in to the business.

We all have different overheads and i know many locally in the trade who charge less than £100pd and would be happy with the arrangement described.

Why the fuss?

I have to say chandlierman, go out and get some quotes from builders and see what they come back at mate.

I can tell you you will find someone no problem, and for all the people who remark about what if they are a cowboy and do a duff job they don't get paid, simples......

I have four self employed blokes on at the moment for 90 quid a day. They are all tradesmen and that was their rates and not mine. To be honest I also have a labourer who is on 60 a day as well.

I don't do none of that cash in hand lark, its a cheque and receipt whether they are working in my back garden or with-in my business, like it or lump it.

This recession is going to be a double bag up in my opinion and we are no way through it yet, all businesses have to cut your cloth to suit the climate. I was having a meal on saturday night and a guy who used to work for me was sprouting off about the same arguement above. He was another of many who 'won't get out of bed for less than this or that'

Thats fine but some must be prepared to spend all day in the pit in my opinion :yes::yes:

As always in hard times those with the work and the cash are in the driving seat.................

Ok it seems that i am offering under the odds so...i have worked it out to be no more than 4 weeks work @ 8hrs a day = 20 days x £100 = £2000

I have estimated the work needing doing and how long it will take

1,brick up 2 windows - 2 days ( approx 48" x 30" using london stocks )

2,possibly brick up 2 doors - 2 days ( average size door way again using london stocks )

3,skim the floor with 3" concrete ( approx 29ft x 13ft ) 3 days - this based on knocking up the gear by hand - with ready mix 1 day

4.block wall - approx 8ft high x 8ft x 29ft - 4 days ( using breeze blocks )

5,new roof for block wall - ply and felt 4 days or ply and box section sheet - 3 days

6.Fit new roof on toilet ( approx 6ft x 6ft ) and fit new low level toilet - 2 days

So thats 17 days maximum for £2000 which equates to just over £117 a day

Or if ready mix is used for the skim and box for the roof then thats 14 days which = over £142 a day

These times are based on someone not breaking into a sweat,if you were a grafter you could easily knock 3 days off my estimated times which would bring it down to 11 days for £2000 = over £180 per day :yes:

So what i propose is.......................i will pay £2500 via my company cheque book if someone can knock the job out in 15 days :yes: that way everyone is happy

But also take note: if your work ain't up to scratch you will be going home with an empty wallet.

Edited by chandelierman

Ok it seems that i am offering under the odds so...i have worked it out to be no more than 4 weeks work @ 8hrs a day = 20 days x £100 = £2000

I have estimated the work needing doing and how long it will take

1,brick up 2 windows - 2 days ( approx 48" x 30" using london stocks )

2,possibly brick up 2 doors - 2 days ( average size door way again using london stocks )

3,skim the floor with 3" concrete ( approx 29ft x 13ft ) 3 days - this based on knocking up the gear by hand - with ready mix 1 day

4.block wall - approx 8ft high x 8ft x 29ft - 4 days ( using breeze blocks )

5,new roof for block wall - ply and felt 4 days or ply and box section sheet - 3 days

6.Fit new roof on toilet ( approx 6ft x 6ft ) and fit new low level toilet - 2 days

So thats 17 days maximum for £2000 which equates to just over £117 a day

Or if ready mix is used for the skim and box for the roof then thats 14 days which = over £142 a day

These times are based on someone not breaking into a sweat,if you were a grafter you could easily knock 3 days off my estimated times which would bring it down to 11 days for £2000 = over £180 per day :yes:

So what i propose is.......................i will pay £2500 via my company cheque book if someone can knock the job out in 15 days :yes: that way everyone is happy

But also take note: if your work ain't up to scratch you will be going home with an empty wallet.

Fair play, but hold back 500 as a completion bonus if job completed with-in a prescribed timescale.

I was going to suggest that the steel box would make a far better roof and really is dead simple to fit. From experience one man will struggle with readymix on that scale to get it in and to get it level but then if you get the right guy he should be able to bung a few mates cash and get them to barrow for an hour.

Have you had any quotes on it yet? I'd be tempted to get a couple from smaller companies and see what comes back. Shame there are no small builders on here that will get out of bed for it. I've seen it a fair bit with my house their rate reflects that they won't be working all the time as they prefer to not work than work for less than their perceived worth.

In all honesty you have now gone from £100 a day to a £2.5K price.

From what you have listed needs doing I would think you would have people biting your arm off. However your last statement about going home with an empty wallet would put me off for a start.

I have always done good jobs for people and prided myself on the quality of work that I do but I would read that as you have no intention af paying the full ammount and you would never be satisfied with whatever job was done.

Al4x is right, not many builders work alone and especially not when pouring a floor. You would struggle to mix that by hand and lay it on your own bfore it went off.

you wouldn't do it MC simple certainly not anything like level. We did my kitchen thats 46m2 in two hits and that was bad enough with 3 barrowing and one laying. Though guess it depends if you can get the lorry right up to the building. But for what needs doing this is a workshop its not top notch work,

My only issue with day rates is you have to keep a close eye I've had guys rock up at 8.30 have an hour for lunch and then **** off at 16:00 and they still want £150 for it. Living in a differnt world to the rest of us thats for sure

Edited by al4x

From what you have listed needs doing I would think you would have people biting your arm off. However your last statement about going home with an empty wallet would put me off for a start.

I have always done good jobs for people and prided myself on the quality of work that I do but I would read that as you have no intention af paying the full ammount and you would never be satisfied with whatever job was done.

Al4x is right, not many builders work alone and especially not when pouring a floor. You would struggle to mix that by hand and lay it on your own bfore it went off.

OK,firstly i was offering £100 a day cash in hand,it seems everyone is moaning about paying tax/insurance out of it ( yeah right! as if you would declare a wad of cash anyway) etc etc so i have upped my offer and will now pay through my company.

It is more beneficial for myself to pay it through the books anyway.

Why would going home with an empty wallet put you off? if you are good at your job then you would have no worries <_<

I have also offered the job on a fixed £2.5k price as an incentive to the lazy people who won't get out of bed for less than £150 a day.

Laying the floor with ready mix shouldn't cause a problem,with the 2 days that will be saved knocking the gear up by hand means that there would be extra funds in the pot for a labourer,and if mixing by hand then it could be done in sections "hence" the 3 day time that i allocated

you wouldn't do it MC simple certainly not anything like level. We did my kitchen thats 46m2 in two hits and that was bad enough with 3 barrowing and one laying. Though guess it depends if you can get the lorry right up to the building. But for what needs doing this is a workshop its not top notch work,

My only issue with day rates is you have to keep a close eye I've had guys rock up at 8.30 have an hour for lunch and then **** off at 16:00 and they still want £150 for it. Living in a differnt world to the rest of us thats for sure

Yep it is only my workshop not my £1,000,000 mansion ( yeah i wishe <_< ) i have access for a lorry right up to the entrance of the building.

I have had the job sized up and the times that i have put up are what we agreed on.

So if its day rates @£100 a day and after 5 days i can see that 40hrs work has not been done then i will wish you well in finding work for the following week.

The best bet for anyone wanting to do it is take the £2.5k and get it knocked out asap.

But all is not lost yet,i am waiting to hear from 2 of my builder friends about doing it evenings and weekends,unlike most on here they are more than gratefull to take home an extra bit of cash.

I'd suggest speccing it for readymix as you won't get it remotely flat otherwise and will be prone to cracking, thats a fair few mixer loads for approx 3 cubic metres and realistically if you get one of the wagons that mix as you go on site it helps as it comes in a lot slower and at £100 a cubic metre or so its not too bad price wise. Let me know if you want a contact I used a guy who I'm pretty sure covers essex as well, Polish and likes pound notes so you tend to get more for your money if you know what I mean.

My only concern with ours is my GWP spent weeks trying to dig something out of the concrete that looked like it belonged to some form of animal at some stage, I was just crossing my fingers she didn't appear with anything that looked human <_<

Yep it is only my workshop not my £1,000,000 mansion ( yeah i wishe <_< ) i have access for a lorry right up to the entrance of the building.

I have had the job sized up and the times that i have put up are what we agreed on.

So if its day rates @£100 a day and after 5 days i can see that 40hrs work has not been done then i will wish you well in finding work for the following week.

The best bet for anyone wanting to do it is take the £2.5k and get it knocked out asap.

But all is not lost yet,i am waiting to hear from 2 of my builder friends about doing it evenings and weekends,unlike most on here they are more than gratefull to take home an extra bit of cash.

If you are such an expert in the building trade then why don't you do it yourself? Are you a quantity surveyor? How would you know if 40 hours work has been done and there you go again by issunig threats that would make me think you have no intention of paying the full ammount.

My guess is you want someone you don't know to do the job so you can complain about it, not pay and **** them off out of it. Rather than fall out with someone you know.

I have done a few jobs for mates on here and have not had one complaint. Maybe that is because I have never charged then anything but still no complaints.

im with you m.c this man will get what he deserves i wonder why he hasent remaked to my reply to him? <_<

i understand your frutration mate but what you are really looking for is a builder who will take on the whole job on a price, and not a jack of all trades (and master of -------)for the money you wish to offer. this jack would have to be a bricklayer, carpenter, roofer and a plumber i have yet to meet a good man who could do all well good luck <_<

As i keep repeating myself..................THE WORK IS ON MY WORK SHOP NOT MY £1,000,000 HOUSE

I'd suggest giving up chandelierman you're not going to win, looks like you have your answer as to whether PW has any builders after cash and the answer is they're all too loaded and don't need the work.

Its difficult in a new area as it is all about contacts of guys who need work, If it was near me I've someone I reckon would do it who is pretty good, hopefully one of your mates will step in as to me its not asking too much.

I'd suggest giving up chandelierman you're not going to win, looks like you have your answer as to whether PW has any builders after cash and the answer is they're all too loaded and don't need the work.

Its difficult in a new area as it is all about contacts of guys who need work, If it was near me I've someone I reckon would do it who is pretty good, hopefully one of your mates will step in as to me its not asking too much.

I gave up after the first page of replys! what goes around comes around <_<

So if any of you guys ever need any chandeliers / wall lights / made / repaired / rewired or any brass machining / milling done i am available for £200 plus VAT per day :P

These threads are the business and I always get a lot from them.

In this one a guy offers £2500 cash for a months work in the depths of a recession, and gets nothing but grief. I reckon if you'd advertised in the Polska times mate you'd have had it done already to a good standard for half the money, then you could have put that on a forum thread and got a load more slavver about foreign workers taking british jobs.

This thread has taught me that I dont need a degree to recognise the smell of ****.

Good luck with finding someone chandelierman.

oh gawd you don't happen to do wrought iron ones do you? as I've two pretty unique rooms I'm struggling like hell for light fittings for :P

Nope,non ferrous metals only,mainly brass and the occasional crystal one BUT i've got a nice little wrought iron chandelier for sale <_< small hexagonal frame with 3 arms suspended from rods (as opposed to chain) with a small ceiling rose,i had it in my bedroom at my old place but it is too long for my bungalow,it is old and has a nice silvery pewter look to it.....PM your email if you are interested and i will send you a pic......................cheap as chips @£100 inc del

So why is it you think you can charge that sort of ammount per day and a builder can't?

Ok,firstly i was having a joke about charging £200 a day ( even tho i do ) if someone on here wanted a job doing on here then i would have done it cheaper.

So lets see why i charge £200 a day. i do 8hrs for £25 hr

1.unlike the builder i work from a business premise which cost me £600 a month to rent.

2.unlike i also have to pay for the electric and business rates

3.unlike the builder my machinery costs 10's of £1000's

4.unlike the builder i have a niche' market

5.unlike the builder you won't find me in the phone book

6.unlike the builder,i stump up all materials for my jobs and wait 3 months for the customer to pay

SHALL I GO ON <_<