general builder wanted - essex area

chandelierman

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myself i am self employed and have a very unique job,i charge £25hr plus VAT and by the time i've paid tax/insurance/rates/rent on my workshop etc etc i doubt that i see much more than £500 in my pocket at the end of the week.

Edited by chandelierman

:good:

Typical PW thread this. :yes:

Chandelierman offers work when millions are unemployed and gets shot down in flames.

I wouldnt bother replying anymore mate, I would ask the Mods nicely to close it or delete it.

You'll never get any rational replies on here about this kind of stuff. What tradesmen charge is very subjective depending on what side of the fence you are on.

Most of the keyboard warriors / experts on here will not even own a gun, let alone a house and most will never have done a days work in the building industry.

PW is good for answers for some things but others are a waste of time. :good:

If you lived in my area, I could get the job done for £500 per week. I am in the trade, loads of my mates have little work and would snap your hand off, if only to be busy for four weeks. They would still declare it too..

Phil

I can understand what some are saying about £100 a day not been enough. When you factor in your NI, Tax, Fuel costs, insurances and the other expenses you end up paying when running a business then £100 doesn't go that far.

However, as times are hard for some people that haven't had any work for a while, you may not be too far off the mark that some people who are really short of work are prepared to graft for.

I can understand what some are saying about £100 a day not been enough. When you factor in your NI, Tax, Fuel costs, insurances and the other expenses you end up paying when running a business then £100 doesn't go that far.

However, as times are hard for some people that haven't had any work for a while, you may not be too far off the mark that some people who are really short of work are prepared to graft for.

As i said,i am willing to pay more (maybe £120) but i will pay via my company cheque book and require a receipt :good: if you are VAT registered then that is not a problem,it is more beneficial to me to put it through my company books.

Chandelierman offers work when millions are unemployed and gets shot down in flames.

I wouldnt bother replying anymore mate, I would ask the Mods nicely to close it or delete it.

You'll never get any rational replies on here about this kind of stuff. What tradesmen charge is very subjective depending on what side of the fence you are on.

Most of the keyboard warriors / experts on here will not even own a gun, let alone a house and most will never have done a days work in the building industry.

Don't matter,at least it gets my post counter up :oops: at this rate i will be on 1000 by midnight :hmm:

Excuse me,

I own several guns, own my own house and have spent the last 22 years in the building trade. :P :P

Anyone know where I can get a container full of my belongings shipped to the States for less than £50? :oops::hmm: :hmm: :( :lol:

Edited by MC

and have spent the last 22 years in the building trade. :P :P

You dont look old enough :good::P

Anyone know where I can get a container full of my belongings shipped to the States for less than £50? :yes::good::oops::hmm: :hmm:

No, but I know someone on Mersea who knocks up some great drawings on his etch a sketch :P:P :(

I would be happy to come down and help Al4x and you if you want Chandlierman - obviously purely in a managerial / supervisory / tea drinking role - I only want £200.00 a day to cover the wear and tear on my tea mug :D:lol:

Excuse me,

I own several guns, own my own house and have spent the last 22 years in the building trade. :( :lol:

Anyone know where I can get a container full of my belongings shipped to the States for less than £50? :yes::good::oops::hmm: :hmm:

my mate has a boat properly sink you will lose all your belongings and wont get a penny back for them cos he's not insured and you wont be able to get hold of him ever again

but he's CHEAP!!!!!!!! :good:

FOR #### SAKE! I ONLY ASKED FOR A BUILDER NOT FOR A HEATED DISCUSSION ABOUT A PALTRY £500 A WEEK SALARY :good:

i understand your frutration mate but what you are really looking for is a builder who will take on the whole job on a price, and not a jack of all trades (and master of -------)for the money you wish to offer. this jack would have to be a bricklayer, carpenter, roofer and a plumber i have yet to meet a good man who could do all well good luck :yes:

You will defo get someone to do your building work for a £100 a day and a cup of tea,this is not aimed directly at you,but some of the posts have struck a nerve

Think all thats been said is that we quaified/insured/registered tradesmen charge a bit more than £100 a day,that doesnt even cover my minmium rate,you will be looking more like,£150 general works,£180 plumbing,£230 roofing,what you must be careful of is that you dont end up with a bad job,if you do, well you paid your money and got the result,which is when most people complain about cowboy builders,which gives us all a bad name,perhaps you can see where we are coming from,and if you aint happy about us builders earning more than £500 a week perhaps you oughter join us,then after twenty years of training and hard graft,you to could be slagged off for just earning a living and being paid the going rate.

How much does a mechanic charge or other qualified person charge !

When your quoting for a building job,you need to consider;

survey time

quotation

take off of plans

account bills

h & safety

risk assesment

coshh

insurance for contract

welfare

prelims

debts

warranty

written contract

invoicing

bank charges

vechicle costs

ware and tare of tools

building regs

enviromental

recyling

theft

public liability,etc,etc,etc

so its not easy being a builder,but we just get on with it and dont worry about the people who want a cheap job or done in a hurry,and the sooner customers realise that they are causing this problem by wanting to save a few quid the better.

No offence intended,just trying to point out the facts.

i understand your frutration mate but what you are really looking for is a builder who will take on the whole job on a price, and not a jack of all trades (and master of -------)for the money you wish to offer. this jack would have to be a bricklayer, carpenter, roofer and a plumber i have yet to meet a good man who could do all well good luck :yes:

I am working on a site at the moment where the Chippy is the foreman and is now finishing the roofing and a host of other jobs on site, why because he is reliable honest and has a brain...but i am sure he charges a decent rate. I'll ask him later in the week.

Good luck finding someone If you were in Surrey i may know someone who would do it (polish guy very good) but not sure what he charges.

You will defo get someone to do your building work for a £100 a day and a cup of tea,this is not aimed directly at you,but some of the posts have struck a nerve

Think all thats been said is that we quaified/insured/registered tradesmen charge a bit more than £100 a day,that doesnt even cover my minmium rate,you will be looking more like,£150 general works,£180 plumbing,£230 roofing,what you must be careful of is that you dont end up with a bad job,if you do, well you paid your money and got the result,which is when most people complain about cowboy builders,which gives us all a bad name,perhaps you can see where we are coming from,and if you aint happy about us builders earning more than £500 a week perhaps you oughter join us,then after twenty years of training and hard graft,you to could be slagged off for just earning a living and being paid the going rate.

survey time

quotation - I DON'T WANT A QUOTE - I WAS OFFERING DAY RATES @£100

take off of plans - I HAVE NO PLANS

account bills - CASH IN THE POCKET JOB

h & safety - YOURS OR MINE :0)

risk assesment -

coshh

insurance for contract

welfare - IS THAT LIKE PAYING CHILD MAINTANACE?

prelims

debts - A GOOD BUSINESS MAN SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY

warranty - WHATS THAT!

written contract - DON'T WANT ONE - VERBAL WILL DO

invoicing - SEE ABOVE - CASH IN POCKET JOB

bank charges - SEE ABOVE - CASH IN POCKET JOB

vechicle costs

ware and tare of tools - LIKE WHAT? I WILL SUPPLY ALL TOOLS IF NECCESSARY

building regs - FOR WHAT? BRICKING UP 2 WINDOWS AND FITITTING A NEW TOILET

enviromental

recyling - I HAVE A SKIP

theft - THATS WHY I WANT THE WINDOWS BRICKED UP

so its not easy being a builder,but we just get on with it and dont worry about the people who want a cheap job or done in a hurry,and the sooner customers realise that they are causing this problem by wanting to save a few quid the better.

I have put replys in capitals so they can be seen,not to cause offence :yes: and i keep saying,this work is required to be done on a workshop where none of it will be visable

Edited by chandelierman

survey time

quotation

take off of plans

account bills

h & safety

risk assesment

coshh

insurance for contract

welfare

prelims

debts

warranty

written contract

invoicing

bank charges

vechicle costs

ware and tare of tools

building regs

enviromental

recyling

theft

you forgot jammie dodgers.

ok to cut a long story short,i am in the process of buying a workshop,had a builder lined up but looks like he has been offered a permanent job in Wales

So i am now making alternative plans "just in case" he definately can't do it.

I am estimating a min of 4 weeks work for 1 person.

I need a general builder that can do a bit of block / brick work/plumbing / concreting/roofing

The main work i want doing is:

2 windows need bricking up / possibly 2 doors aswell ( london stocks )

Maybe skim the floor with 3" of concrete ( roughly 29ft x 13ft )

It has a wooden shed built on to it with a thick concrete floor,i want it bricked up inside with breeze blocks and a new roof ( just ply and felt ) approx 29ft x 8ft

There is an outside toilet approx 6ft x 6ft,the toilet needs replacing with a low level unit and a new roof ( again just ply and felt )

I am hoping to exchange contracts within the next 2 weeks with a view of completing mid - end april,some of the work can be done as soon as i exchange ie: the toilet and the work on the wooden lean to.

I will supply all of the materials.

Leave a message here if you want to join in and take the #### or PM me if you are interested in doing the work :yes:

Find me some cheap digs in the area and I will come an do it for you, sounds like a piece of ****. Been doing this kind of work for 15yrs. Running my own business for 6-7, am a carpenter and joiner by trade but do all trades(except gas work)myself. Sounds an easy job.

P.M. me. :yes:

Edd