Zero Shift

SSS

I went to the range at Garlands earlier to shoot some rounds off and check my zero.

The results I got were staggering, I didnt realise how much the Zero shifts without the moderator. The picture below shows the shift without the moderator with a pound coin for reference.

post-17767-1267813713.jpeg

I was using Remington subsonic ammunition at 65 paces shooting from a Harris bipod.

The groups were achieved from ammunition that I was told is **** and not worth the money (by the shop I bought it from).

I also shot groups with CCI subsonics which looked like I had pattern tested my shotgun, I guess the rifle just doesn't like CCI's.

Also, for reference, the rifle is zeroed at 50 paces, which gives me a little more than an inch drop at 65 paces.

Has anyone else ever tested the zero shift? If so, what results did you get?

All the best,

SSS <_<

EDIT:The pound coin is for sale if anyone is interested, yours for £2.50. It might make you shoot as well as me :P

I have plenty in stock :lol:

Edited by SSS

My Ruger likes Remington Subsonics better than any other ammo I have tried. Having said that I have not tried CCIs yet but I have found out that it hates Eleys and refuses to recycle them.

With regards to the pound coin - If you have plenty in stock is there any chance of discount for a bulk purchase? <_<

My Ruger likes Remington Subsonics better than any other ammo I have tried. Having said that I have not tried CCIs yet but I have found out that it hates Eleys and refuses to recycle them.

With regards to the pound coin - If you have plenty in stock is there any chance of discount for a bulk purchase? <_<

Just for you, I can sell you them for £2 each if you buy 100 or more :lol::P

SSS,

What's the set-up at Garlands, is it rimmy's only for fullbore too & and what range? Do you have to book or just turn up, and what's the cost?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just I've never known it was there and it's only about 2 miles from my new office!!

Cheers,

Oly

You have to book, its £6 per hour to use and the range is 100 yards.

You can use rimfire and fullbore.

PM me if you want the number, though I may not reply very quick as I'm about to go out and shoot some foxes <_<

I have tested all of my rifles I have own and have ever owned and tried different sound mods on all and they all change the zero point. On my CZ bolt I have found Eleys to be the best but on the Ruger semi auto I have found Winchesters to be best then on my .17HMR i have found Winchesters to be best but remmies come a very close 2nd.

I haven't really checked the shift in Zero without a moderaror on my Ruger (Or my 17HMR come to that) but just out of interest I will do next time I am out! One thing of interest is that I was out with a friend for a while yesterday checking the zero on some of his hunting rifles, one of which was his .243, the difference it made to the zero without a moderator was quite amazing! We obviously zeroed it with the mod on as this is how it is nornally used! While he was zeroing his new 30-06 he let me have a try with the .243 (Knowing that I am thinking about getting one and going for me DSC). I was firing at 105 yards (on the rangefinder) and was getting a group of about 1.5 inches in the centre of the target (Not too bad for me with a rifle that I had never handled before). He suggested that I took the mod off and after allowing the barrel to cool down a little try a few rounds with the mod off. This I did and the difference on the POI was about 2.5 inches high right. This, I think goes to show that if you normally use a mod on your rifle (Whatever the caliber) but want to use it without the mod (For whatever reason) then you should check the zero as it is quite likely to have shifted.

I hope I am not seen as "Teaching your Granny how to suck eggs" as they say by putting this up with some of the "Old Hands" reading it!

The shift depends on a number of factors, some of our resident physicists will be along soon with the harmonics theories :rolleyes:

Before I had my .223 barrel chopped it was arguably too long and thin, to have a mod stuck on the end.

The rifle smith that threaded predicted about 9" difference at 100 yards, mod on to mod off - he was almost bang on.

That was long(ish) thin barrel with a heavy sound mod.

The barrel has since been chopped by 3" which has obviously made it stiffer, and I have a lighter mod now.

I haven't bothered accurately measuring the shift now as I always shoot it mod on, but I know it isn't anywhere near as much of a shift as it was.