Red Stag

Subsonic Flyer

We dont normally shoot the stags but we have had so may in the area this year I decided to take one of the smallest. After an early start this morning it didnt take me long to find them. I managed to stalk to within 50 yards of this one and he dropped like a stone. After dragging it 500 yards back to the veichle it didnt feel that small.

SF

post-11-1130000103.jpg

Hi younggun

Thanks for your interest. I live in Devon and we are lucky to have a very healthy population of Reds, Roe and Fallow.

The area where I shot this one has plenty of small woods (3-5 acres) and by getting on the high ground you can often see several groups coming out to feed from various woods. My son and I arrived at first light and from our vantage point we could see the stag we were after.

We stalked along a single row of mature trees to get to the area where they were feeding. We managed to get to 150 yards undetected when the herd started walking and feeding in our direction. We decided to stay and very quickly the hinds were less than 50 yards from us. We stood with our backs to a large oak and so far we had not been noticed. The stag had remained close to the wood and I thought the hinds would get so close that they would sense us and bolt blowing our chance. By now we had hinds and calves as close as 15 yards. The stag not wanting to be left behind trotted out and stopped 75 yards from us.

I had my rifle (Steyr Prohunter Heavy Barrel .308) on the sticks, thumb on the safety ready for the shot. The hinds were all around us but as the wind was blowing in our faces they had not winded us yet, but it was only a matter of time before one walked past and behind us. He then became curious of the tree we were stood against. He obviously could not see a human form but he new something was not right. He then trotted directly towards us and you could see he meant business.

I waited and he continued to close the gap until he was 40-50 yards away. He stopped looking straight at us at which point I had the cross hairs centre of his neck. Bang, 200 + pounds of stag is instantly on the ground and the hinds and calves are running in all directions.

I don’t have a 4x4 so it was a case of grabbing an antler each and heading for the nearest track. Despite the wind and rain it was a great stalk.

SF