300 TDI Alternator belt squeak

tinytim38

If you have a 300tdi with a fan belt that won't stop squealing then this is the best value for money mod you can do.

Remove the fan belt. Loosen the fan belt tensioner and insert a 1p piece behind the tensioner pulley in the 9 o'clock position. Re-tighten the tensioner and then re-fit the fan belt.

Start the engine and sit back and listen to silence.

I was in the process of orderring a new tensioner after fitting 2 new belts :shifty::ermm: in the last week to try to stop this, came across this on another forum, I tried it and it works :good::good:

What pearls of wisdom...........as if I had not tried or thought of those things ..............but this one does work as the pulley becomes misalinged after a while because the nylon bush wears................will the WD40 work on squealing brakes as well?:yes:?:/?:o?:P? :yes::yes:

Guest rimotu66

Great tip TinyTim. I will be trying this on mine as its squeeled like a pig since I fitted a new pump and belt... :good: And yes Ive tried WD40 and some belt life stuff from work, they only cured it for a few hours.

Motor bike chain guard is another solution also for brakes make sure you apply copper slip to the callipers pistons when replacing pads

When my ex brother in law was rebuilding his old honda vf 750 someone told him to use copperslip on the brakes to stop them squealing , when he tested the bike down the road after the rebuild he didn't stop at a t junction leading off of the estate ,went through a fence demolished a new wooden small peoples house(wendy house) and stuffed it into a concrete coal bunker resulting in a broken leg and a written off bike , The bonehead had put the copperslip on the pads and disc's.

What pearls of wisdom...........as if I had not tried or thought of those things ..............but this one does work as the pulley becomes misalinged after a while because the nylon bush wears................will the WD40 work on squealing brakes as well?;)?:yes:?:)?:good:? :good::yes:

There was a production problem a number of pulleys were fitted that caused the sqeak

LINKY

there is a replacement pulley that sorts out that problem another issue

was caused by replacement alternators there is another pulley that sorts that out.

Rather makes me miss Miles my 300TDi Disco.

When my ex brother in law was rebuilding his old honda vf 750 someone told him to use copperslip on the brakes to stop them squealing , when he tested the bike down the road after the rebuild he didn't stop at a t junction leading off of the estate ,went through a fence demolished a new wooden small peoples house(wendy house) and stuffed it into a concrete coal bunker resulting in a broken leg and a written off bike , The bonehead had put the copperslip on the pads and disc's.

I'm very sorry but i can't help it mate , i love motorbikes but ........ ROTFPMSL !!!!! POST OF THE YEAR IN THE 4X4 .

all the best yis yp :good: